[Possible Spoilers] Five Worst Actors

indignant mushroom

The actress who plays Sansa, while AMAZING in season one, has done a fucking terrible job since. Especially in the Blackwater episode and the first episode of season 3. But I blame a lot of this on the writers.

Dany is annoying as hell in season two, but again, this is all writers faults. She was incredible in season one, for the most part, as well. Same with Kit Harrington who was great all the way through season one, and he even had some excellent moments in season two (The "HELLO GILLY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" conversation was one of my favorite scenes of the series) in addition to his bad scenes.

Also I think characters like Cersei, Robb, etc. all have their moments of terrible. But ALL thanks to writing. Ugh. Even Gendry... I watched Skins, I know how fucking INCREDIBLE of an actor he is, but yet they don't use that at all. Oh well.

On the Davos / Mel / Stannis front, they're all great actors, but terrible writing. Especially Mel. You know she's an incredible actress if she can take fucking awful lines, and still make the audience fear her and despise her for being so fucking creepy.

When it comes to actors who are terrible at their own fault, and NOT fault of the writers...

The guy who plays Littlefinger. His lines themselves aren't bad and usually are very LF esque. But he's probably the worst actor in the show, especially in any scenes involving whores.

Also, I know i'll get a LOT of hate for this, but I think Peter Dinklage's performance in season two was INCREDIBLY disappointing compared to his acting in season one and in other roles i've seen him perform in. And especially when compared to ACoK book Tyrion.

Also, Ros and Daisy and Shae and every other whore in the show is fucking terrible. The exception being the season one Shae scenes, which were great thanks to Bronn and Tyrion, and the captain's daughter Theon banged in season two who was actually quite emotional and excellent for a two minute role.

The actress who plays Sansa, while AMAZING in season one, has done a fucking terrible job since. Especially in the Blackwater episode and the first episode of season 3. But I blame a lot of this on the writers.

Dany is annoying as hell in season two, but again, this is all writers faults. She was incredible in season one, for the most part, as well. Same with Kit Harrington who was great all the way through season one, and he even had some excellent moments in season two (The "HELLO GILLY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" conversation was one of my favorite scenes of the series) in addition to his bad scenes.

Also I think characters like Cersei, Robb, etc. all have their moments of terrible. But ALL thanks to writing. Ugh. Even Gendry... I watched Skins, I know how fucking INCREDIBLE of an actor he is, but yet they don't use that at all. Oh well.

On the Davos / Mel / Stannis front, they're all great actors, but terrible writing. Especially Mel. You know she's an incredible actress if she can take fucking awful lines, and still make the audience fear her and despise her for being so fucking creepy.

When it comes to actors who are terrible at their own fault, and NOT fault of the writers...

The guy who plays Littlefinger. His lines themselves aren't bad and usually are very LF esque. But he's probably the worst actor in the show, especially in any scenes involving whores.

Also, I know i'll get a LOT of hate for this, but I think Peter Dinklage's performance in season two was INCREDIBLY disappointing compared to his acting in season one and in other roles i've seen him perform in. And especially when compared to ACoK book Tyrion.

Also, Ros and Daisy and Shae and every other whore in the show is fucking terrible. The exception being the season one Shae scenes, which were great thanks to Bronn and Tyrion, and the captain's daughter Theon banged in season two who was actually quite emotional and excellent for a two minute role.

You keep talking about terrible writing in season 2, despite a lot of the dialogue being taken directly from the books. And I don't think it's fair to write off minor characters like Daisy and the captain's daughter as horrible. They only had about 2 lines, and served their purpose well enough.

Emilia Clarke was one of the weak points in season 2, I agree, and yes, a lot of that is to do with the writing. But go rewatch some of her scenes in season 1. She's solid, but she's no Meryl Streep.

And who's complaining about Gendry having a minor role? He's not that prominent in the books either.

And as for Davos/Stannis/Mel, apart from a few lines in the Mel/Stannis sex scene, I found the writing to be very solid, if not very good. Stannis' monologue about the Siege of Storm's End was great.

Phoooey on the Dinklage point. The guy was stellar all around. The look of muted relief he has when he sees that Cersei doesn't have Shae is a thing of beauty. As is his look of awe and horror at the wildfire explosion. And the conversation with Shae in the finale. And Blackwater. And everything else. The only thing I can nitpick about is the accent.

You keep talking about terrible writing in season 2, despite a lot of the dialogue being taken directly from the books. And I don't think it's fair to write off minor characters like Daisy and the captain's daughter as horrible. They only had about 2 lines, and served their purpose well enough.

Emilia Clarke was one of the weak points in season 2, I agree, and yes, a lot of that is to do with the writing. But go rewatch some of her scenes in season 1. She's solid, but she's no Meryl Streep.

And who's complaining about Gendry having a minor role? He's not that prominent in the books either.

And as for Davos/Stannis/Mel, apart from a few lines in the Mel/Stannis sex scene, I found the writing to be very solid, if not very good. Stannis' monologue about the Siege of Storm's End was great.

Phoooey on the Dinklage point. The guy was stellar all around. The look of muted relief he has when he sees that Cersei doesn't have Shae is a thing of beauty. As is his look of awe and horror at the wildfire explosion. And the conversation with Shae in the finale. And Blackwater. And everything else. The only thing I can nitpick about is the accent.

Despite what everyone seems to think, there are actually VERY VERY few lines that are directly in the show from the book. Even in the first season it was like this way. Not this is a bad thing necessarily, some things like "I hope the Others take you" or whatever are kind of shit-cheese hahaha But even still.

Ros is enough of a role, at this point, that she can be criticized. That crying scene with LF was probably one of the most painful scenes I ever watched ever.

I never said that Em was the best actress ever, but she performed her role well and never said or did anything that took me OUT of the world of GoT. Only her absurd wig did that. haha

Someone was complaining in the Five Best Actors thread about Gendry. Mih.

As for DInklage. Eh. I felt he was totally unconvincing, and I felt that scene specifically with Cersei was probably the most botched Dinklage scene(acting wise) of the show so far.

Personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone:

1. Emilia Clarke: she was ok in season 1 but has gone down hill since then, I think she overreacts a lot and her enunciation is over the top in a lot of scenes. In scenes where she has to be soft and nice she does a good job, but when she has to play scenes where Dany is angry she fails. And she also has scenes where her eyes are totally dead, that is not good acting. IMO the worst by far.

2. Kit Harington: he has good scenes, but in others he is just there with a sad face. In general he does a good job, but sometimes you can see he is struggling to look natural while doing a scene.

3. Aidan Gillen: I dislike the way he talks most of the time, like he is the Godfather, subtlety is very important to play LF and Aidan lacks it.

4. Eugene Simon: he overreacts a lot and is just not good in his role

5. Finn Jones: I think he is ok in most scenes, but in others his performance is weak.

I've never really been fond of Emilia, but in her defense it'd be really hard for me to take anyone screaming about fire and blood three times per episode seriously.

I'm going to give Kit the benefit of the doubt and say it's a writing issue with him too.

on a more positive note, I think all of the Stark children are phenomenal. They all really proved themselves in S2 (Isaac especially blew me away as Bran in the scenes with Theon in Winterfell). It's a shame what they're doing with Robb because Richard's an amazing actor and could encompass Robb's tragedy in the books perfectly had he been given the chance. Same with Michelle too, to an extent, but Cat still had quite a few powerful scenes thankfully.

I'm surprised by all the Emilia Clarke criticism. I think Season 2 really knocked her down several pegs in peoples' estimation as her performance was widely praised back in Season 1. I think bad writing is to blame for Daenerys in Season 2. In Season 1, I think Emilia did a great job of showing Dany's ascent from timid little girl to powerful khalessi. The rape scenes and the scene where she lost her baby were also very well performed and heartbreaking.

I didn't much like Kit Harrington and found him to be the weakest link during Season 1. It wasn't that he was ever awful, just bland in an Orlando Bloom-esque way. However, in Season 2 and the episode of Season 3 I've seen, I believe he improved significantly and has a bit more charisma. It helps that he's got good chemistry with Rose Leslie too is fantastic. It's pretty difficult to make Jon an interesting character anyway. I know this is an unpopular opinion but Jon is one of my least favourite characters in the books. He's just so bland compared to everyone else.

Aiden Gillen is probably the actor who bothers me the most in the cast right now. While he's very much capable of giving good performances, he sucks at accents! His English accent in GoT is terribly inconsistent, his American accent in The Dark Knight Rises sucks and his lower class Dublin accent in Irish crime drama series Love/Hate is also really poor. That said, I can accept him as Littlefinger if he works on finding a consistent accent for the character.

Oh and Finn Jones as Loras is fairly poor. His scene where he's next to Renly's body was very poor. I mean your lover is dead, show more emotion!! Obviously not within Jones' capabilities.

The actress who plays Sansa' date=' while AMAZING in season one, has done a fucking terrible job since. Especially in the Blackwater episode and the first episode of season 3. But I blame a lot of this on the writers.[/quote']

I disagree. I thought that Sophie Turner was the worst of the child actors for the first nine episodes...I think it might have been the whiny voice. And then she blew me away from Episode 10 onwards...that look she gave Joffery! Just awesome! In fact, I think Turner is probably as good as Maisie Williams. It's just that her character is so disliked by the fandom that she doesn't get as much praise as she should. I think she gives an incredible performance for a girl still in her teens.

Oh and Finn Jones as Loras is fairly poor. His scene where he's next to Renly's body was very poor. I mean your lover is dead, show more emotion!! Obviously not within Jones' capabilities.

I never get why Finn gets all the blame for that scene, when to me it was obviousily the writing and direction that was the problem. Yeah, I would also rather have had the psychotic break that Loras has in the books, but this was obviously not what the show demanded here.

I wasn't quite sure about Sophie in the first episode, but from "Kingsroad" onwards I was sold. On her Sansa and pretty much anyone else.

Simons totally plays it up for the laughs, but I can understand that's not to anybodies taste.

Gillens accent juggling is really grating though. Didn't notice that at first, because I watched *shock horror gasp* the German dubbing.

It's not even the lack of the psychotic breakdown, it's just that there's very little convincing sorrow or sadness on Jones' face during that scene. He just has his brow furrowed and looks like he's concentrating on being sad. No other actor on the show has taken me out of a scene like that.

I kind of feel like the writers and directors are getting slagged off a lot on this tread and if it was "Top 5 Worst Episode Directors" or "Top 5 Worst Episode Writers," there would be a lot more, "it's not their fault, blame the actor(s) for it."

The writers get plenty of criticism when they do things wrong, at least in this forum, and the directors can do a lot, but they can't make an actor give a good performance if the actors are not good enough.

Why do people blame the writers or the directors when an actor does a poor job, but if they are great it's all thanks to their own talent?

Besides, Michelle has also been a victim of the bad writing and she is still brilliant

I disagree. I thought that Sophie Turner was the worst of the child actors for the first nine episodes...I think it might have been the whiny voice. And then she blew me away from Episode 10 onwards...that look she gave Joffery! Just awesome! In fact, I think Turner is probably as good as Maisie Williams. It's just that her character is so disliked by the fandom that she doesn't get as much praise as she should. I think she gives an incredible performance for a girl still in her teens.

Are you kidding? Sansa was PERFECT in all of season one. She was the perfect relatable average human girl, she was excellent. And yes, episode 10 was her highlight indeed.

But season two and the first ep of season 3... mih. Pretty horrid. Her acting in the blackwater episode made me want to puke. (actually, that whole episode did. From the randomly forced Bronn/Hound showdown with whores watching, to the battle plans that made no sense, to the horribly shit special affects and battle sequences which weren't appealing at all, to Stannis LEADING the charge out of character, etc. Ugh, fuck that episode hahaha)

But anyway, I LOVE Sansa in the books. She's one of my favorite characters. But the actress started majorly sucking in season two. Although maybe most of that is the combination of shitty lines combined with the actress trying her best to act the part of a girl who is terrible at acting. haha

Speaking of Sophie, is it just me, or has she GROWN A LOT between season two finale and season three premiere? Could've swore she was an inch or two shorter of Littlefinger then, and now she's a good two or three inches taller. Not like this matters or anything, but something I picked up on.

Maybe it's because we see the actors as themselves in interviews like Emilia Clarke can be very sweet and funny in an interview so then one starts to second guess all the slagging one has been doing before? The writers and directors are just this vague person that we rarely see and if we do, they aren't quite as charming and lovable as the actors are in interview? Just a theory.

I think 'worst' actors is a bit harsh, some are new and won't be as good as the proven actors, add the fact that we've seen them in 1 role. I won't judge them till I've seen them in other roles, I'd prefer to talk about the best actors Charles Dance comes to mind, I can;t imagine anyone else playing Tywin

AND, I think it depends whether you like the characters themselves, I didn't likke Daenerys in the second series but I think you're supposed to see her as spoilt brat that gets put in her place. Another one is Cat, I hate her in the series but I won't knock her acting ability she plays the role very well in my opinion

Are you kidding? Sansa was PERFECT in all of season one. She was the perfect relatable average human girl, she was excellent. And yes, episode 10 was her highlight indeed.

But season two and the first ep of season 3... mih. Pretty horrid. Her acting in the blackwater episode made me want to puke. (actually, that whole episode did. From the randomly forced Bronn/Hound showdown with whores watching, to the battle plans that made no sense, to the horribly shit special affects and battle sequences which weren't appealing at all, to Stannis LEADING the charge out of character, etc. Ugh, fuck that episode hahaha)

But anyway, I LOVE Sansa in the books. She's one of my favorite characters. But the actress started majorly sucking in season two. Although maybe most of that is the combination of shitty lines combined with the actress trying her best to act the part of a girl who is terrible at acting. haha

Speaking of Sophie, is it just me, or has she GROWN A LOT between season two finale and season three premiere? Could've swore she was an inch or two shorter of Littlefinger then, and now she's a good two or three inches taller. Not like this matters or anything, but something I picked up on.

OTOH, I loved the Blackwater Episode, and thought Sophie Turner played Sansa perfectly in it.

None of the actors strike me as being particularly weak. There are subtleties and nuances in the books that are hard to portray on television, and I think that is where a lot of the criticism is coming from in reality.

Archived