My Prologue Guess

LordStoneheart

Based on the pattern, I agree that it should be maester-related and 'South' (of the Neck, perhaps?). The prologue character also usually dies, which makes me skeptical of a big-name character like Qyburn. I can see a maester attending Ser Loras on D-stone, a maester or colleague in Storm's End (maybe falls or is killed in confusion?), or maybe a Maester-related character in the Westerlands or the Reach? It'd be a good way for GRRM to sneak in a super-specific description of Casterly Rock or Highgarden, both of which are very important but haven't been really seen yet. A maester for the Westerlings or Spicers could help resolve some of the loose ends of that subplot early on.

What about Quaithe?

She is not a maester and not south but would somehow fit the schedule

I can see Quaithe. She's magical and learned, and it's at least implied that Asshai-by-the-Shadow is an equatorial city? The only real objection would be: isn't her appeal based in part on how mysterious she is? Do we want the 'truths' she'd give to Dany just spelled out to us in her thoughts?

I think the prologue will show us a glimpse of some of the other fighting in the realm. Oldtown perhaps- weren't the Ironborn raiding up the river close to Oldtown?

Think the faceless man might nuke someone else- and even though that has been done before it might show us even more about what may lie ahead for Arya who has been kind of out of the storyline for a while.

Another possibility might be in the Vale. If it comes out the kettlbacks are littlefingers catspaws I wouldn't be surprised if someone went after him. Or maybe sweetrobin will sweetly die....

I would like to know what happened to the Blackfish- a frey POV being slaughtered by Blackfish seems appropriate. Aside from Jaimie and Breanne we don't have a PoV in that area.

It could also serve as a further introduction to a fresh breakout of Greyscale. Connington has it as does Shireen. And we know that at least to the wildlings that is still lethal after children catch it.

What about Quaithe?

She is not a maester and not south but would somehow fit the schedule

I would love Quaithe. The next book will be more fantasy-like and less politics, imo, so we need to learn more about prophecy, magic, dragons, etc. She could show us the real deal about Asshai also.

Aside from Quaithe, I would also like to know what's in the head of Qyburn. He's rather mysterious. How did he create Robert Strong? And what sorts of experiment he did in the past that cost him to lose his chains?

The Dothraki...yes. I personally think that we will see Grand Maester Pycelle killed by Robert Strong and we find out some very interesting things about the history of Westeros from someone who has served 5 kings. It needs to be noted that Pycelle was killed differently from Kevan and I think his bludgeoned head makes Robert Strong a strong suspect...but a dothraki POV would be very interesting but what would we learn?

The Dothraki...yes. I personally think that we will see Grand Maester Pycelle killed by Robert Strong ...

... his bludgeoned head makes Robert Strong a strong suspect..

It doesn't take much force to crush a man's skull with a hammer or such - one of Varys' "little birds" could have easily done the deed. I think the prologue will either be Pycelle or the Dothraki Khal with Dany and Drogon.

It always seems to me that with the prologues they either go further North (1, 3 and 5) or further South (2 and 4). My guess is that the next prologue takes place in Dorne.

Now that is an understandable pattern, unlike the Maester bulls**t. I will agree we're getting a South Prologue, but who?

-Willas Tyrell fighting Ironborn in Highgarden, maybe even meeting Euron

-Someone in the Citadel possibly (if the Maester pattern is true, though I doubt it)

-Areo Hotah getting killed by Darkstar would be hillarious.

-Someone at KL killed by RS

-Arya killing soneone would be nice, but that's not the South

I also think a prologue based in the south is most likely - probably a maester or an accolyte or just someone generally tied to the threads in Oldtown.

Balon Swann is a good guess too - it would take place in the south and I cant see him returning safely to KL from Dorne somehow..

Lancel fighting Robert Strong in Cersei's trial might be cool too - though I don't know if this will happen that early into the book

Archived