Is Robert Baratheon an Overrated Warrior?

Blackfyre the Bold

Hmm in general... to anyone who said that Raehgar was no more than a capable warrior.

Rhaegar is arguably just below elite level while Robert is right at elite level. Rhaegar doesn't get enough credit for wounding Robert at the Trident. It's worth mentioning that he did so with a sword against a Robert in full plate, which is no easy task.

Rhaegar is arguably just below elite level while Robert is right at elite level. Rhaegar doesn't get enough credit for wounding Robert at the Trident. It's worth mentioning that he did so with a sword against a Robert in full plate, which is no easy task.

Where did we hear that Rhaegar injured Robert? One can get injured by more then just named charachters, and Robert did lead the Van. I never understood why people insist on claiming that Rhaegar was more then OKish. Winning one tourney, as the crown prince, is not proof that you are a legendary fighter with a sword.

Where did we hear that Rhaegar injured Robert? One can get injured by more then just named charachters, and Robert did lead the Van. I never understood why people insist on claiming that Rhaegar was more then OKish. Winning one tourney, as the crown prince, is not proof that you are a legendary fighter with a sword.

It was definitely a better fight than many claim. Rhaegar was holding his own against a much larger warhammer wielding Robert. The fight could have easily gone the other way. Robert happened to land a perfect blow to Rhaegar's chest. Some people act like it wasn't even a fight and Robert won the battle with the first swing of his hammer. That wasn't the case.

Probably not. No info on that though. He definitely got one from Rhaegar.

Oh ok.

And I severely doubt Robert could take on Gregor Clegane btw. I don't ever recall hearing about Robert's skill or speed. What people noted about him was his strength.

Robert is 6'6 and probably weighed in around at 250 lbs give or take a few 10 lbs.

Gregor is nearly 8 feet tall and weighs 420. I think when both men rely on size and strength the guy who is weight bigger wins.

And I severely doubt Robert could take on Gregor Clegane btw. I don't ever recall hearing about Robert's skill or speed. What people noted about him was his strength.

Robert is 6'6 and probably weighed in around at 250 lbs give or take a few 10 lbs.

Gregor is nearly 8 feet tall and weighs 420. I think when both men rely on size and strength the guy who is weight bigger wins.

True. But Robert is definitely a skilled fighter, not just some clubbing brute while Gregor was just that. His speed wasn't impressive either.

It was definitely a better fight than many claim. Rhaegar was holding his own against a much larger warhammer wielding Robert. The fight could have easily gone the other way. Robert happened to land a perfect blow to Rhaegar's chest. Some people act like it wasn't even a fight and Robert won the battle with the first swing of his hammer. That wasn't the case.

Just re-read it. Yeah, Rhaegar injured Robert. Still, a large warhammer is a disability on horseback, not an advantage. Not to mention that Robert had already suffered an injury before the Battle of the Bells, while Rhaegar had spent the past year or so relaxing in the Dornish sun.

Just re-read it. Yeah, Rhaegar injured Robert. Still, a large warhammer is a disability on horseback, not an advantage. Not to mention that Robert had already suffered an injury before the Battle of the Bells, while Rhaegar had spent the past year or so relaxing in the Dornish sun.

I don't need to re-read it, Robert being 6 ft 7' and in full plate armor, makes Rhaegar even putting up a fight impressive, imo.

I don't need to re-read it, Robert being 6 ft 7' and in full plate armor, makes Rhaegar even putting up a fight impressive, imo.

I meant that I just re-read it. Sorry if I misspelled it, English isn't my native tongue.

Both Robert and Rhaegar were in full plate and on horseback. Rhaegar with a sword, Robert with a warhammer. While the warhammer is a disadvantage, Robert's strengh should compensate. However, given the fact that Robert had already suffered an injury lately, he is still at a disadvantage compared with Rhaegar. I don't ming giving points to Rhaegar, but I don't see the need. He won one tourney, which is'nt that surprising considering that he is the crown prince and people are usually afraid to harm him, and he lost his first and only battle. Both the single combat, and the battle itself. I don't realy see the reason people make him out to be some legendary PTWP, and that he could have been great had Robert not killed him by a "fluke chance".

I just don't think it would have been possible for Rhaegar to be a top tier warrior. He was very good no doubt. But unlike other noble boys who train as soon as they can, Rhaegar waited a few years even before he picked up his first sword. I don't know how old he was when he picked up his first sword, but it was long enough that his potential was somewhat unfulfilled.

I can't believe this. The laughing storm was comparable to those guys, and even to big rob, but I think history would remember big rob> laughing storm.

Jamie, imo, loses almost every time. Sandor every time. Selmy would be a great match. The legends I have explained.

Jaime is one of the best ever. Jaime considers himself better than everyone. In fact the only person he does not say he could beat is Sandor. Jaime is sure he could beat Robert. Jaime was winning melees at 13. Jaime is the best swordsman Barristan has seen of the younger generation. A 15 year old Jaime was able to hold of the Smiling Knight. Brienne considers Jaime unbeatable.

As for Sandor he is bigger, faster and more skilled than Robert. He was able to hold off the Mountain fighting purely defensive. The Laughing Storm was a great joust and probably a phenomenal warrior, but he is not comparable to the list given. Daemon was without doubt the best warrior of his day.

Jaime is sure he can beat Robert? You mean too-fat-for-his-armour-drunk-Robert? Well , I think even Renly has a chance , let alone Jaime.

I'm a huge fan of Sandor and IMO he is even better than Jaime but we are not talking about a sword fight.

Archived