Did Melisandre steal Davos' fingerbones before the battle of Blackwater?

BericDondarrion

Davos claims that the fingertips that he lost due to Stannis' hand were his good luck charm.He keeps them in a pouch around his neck and believes them to be lucky since they bought his wife/sons a future.Now, Davos lost his fingertips during the battle, and he believes they are in the bottom of the Blackwater.But if they brought him luck, why did he even "lose" them in the first place.Is it possible Melisandre had them switched without Davos' knowing?When Melisandre is explaining the glamor in ADWD, she specifically mentions a bag of finger bones.There are no other instances of finger bones in ASOIAF except for Davos.

“The bones help,” said Melisandre. “The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of

such things. A dead man’s boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones. With whispered words and prayer,

a man’s shadow can be drawn forth from such and draped about another like a cloak. The wearer’s

essence does not change, only his seeming.”

Why would Melisandre mention fingerbones if it didn't come into her plans?And if she did steal/switch the finger bones, Why did she do it?She does not like Davos, and vice versa yet she does care about his family (asking Stannis to leave Devan with her so Davos wouldn't lose anymore sons) and she did claim that though Davos was misguided, he was still extremely loyal to Stannis.I believe Melisandre has Davos' bones in her possession, but what for, I have no idea.Melisandre is very mysterious, so who knows what she has planned.

I figured another knight found them and returned them to dragonstone as a way of showing davos' death and then they weren't returned to Davos when he returned but kept by Melisandre

I agree, the fingerbones references is SO specific to Davos, it seems like a clue that she has gotten ahold of them somehow.

Me too , and I have wondered, thinking of how and when she could have acquired them, if she'd been holding a shadow baby in reserve to aid Stannis, then used it to save Davos and steal the fingerbones.. but I don't know what else SBs can do besides killing people..

At the same time , while he was unconscious seems like the perfect opportunity.

• 4 months later...

Bag of fingerbones is too specific to be someone else, not a lot of people would be carrying a bag of fingerones.

But the question is that if Melisandre has it how did she get it.

It is too difficult to remove from his neck and plant a fake one. He carries that bag with him and touches it 10 times a day, he wil instantly know it was wrong.

From the bottom of a burning blackwater when she is a 1000 leagues away. Again near ro impossible.

That quote was in reference to glamouring Mance to look like The Lord of Bones and I just accepted he would have finger bones as well as every other bone but there is a definite possibility that they could be Davos's and upon hearing of his death she glamours another Davos to pretend he is still alive not realising he actually is still alive and will out her secret which is good news for Davos with him not liking her but he is going to be in for one hell of a shock on seeing himself

I agree, the fingerbones references is SO specific to Davos, it seems like a clue that she has gotten ahold of them somehow.

The fingerbone reference is specific only because she knows a person who keeps them albeit for different reasons. In any case she has absolute faith in Davos' loyalty. There is no precedent that she will wish to control/manipulate him.

She would have thought of this in her POV, don't you think?

Not necessarily, Cersei never explicitly thought about the plot to murder Trystane, but that was very real. I believe Mel does have poor Davos's fingerbones and will use them to convince more people of her power like she did Stannis

The fingerbones line was such a bright beacon that even I picked up on it. The time Davos was recovering in the Dragonstone dungeon would have been a good time to obtain them. Mel could have substituted someone else's bones and Davos wouldn't have known.

Davos grabs his pouch of fingerbones twice during the Blackwater. it's 4 fingerbones, I think he would have noticed if he missed one, and it is pretty much impossible for anyone to find it after he goes overboard. The entire portion of the fleet in the near vicinity burned and sank. Nobody is going to find that.

Archived