Guess who knows where Tysha is . . .

nekrohsis

Can someone give me a pointer to where the sailor's wife appears in the books? My mind is drawing a blank

The chapter where Sam visits Daeron in the brothel, in Braavos, and finds out that his black brother married the Sailor's Wife. There might also be a reference in the Arya chapters, but I can't guarantee that one.

EDIT: Howling Mad beat me to it. Jerk.

There's a theory that the Sailor's Wife, a prostitute in Braavos, is actually Tysha, as evidenced by her trick of wedding the men who bed her, her fluency in the Common Tongue, and her daughter, the golden-haired Lanna (for Lannister?) who is the right age to be Tyrion's daughter. Keep in mind, if her daughter is Tyrion's (she could have well been pregnant even before the gang-rape) the girl is Tyrion's legitimate heir and Tysha could very well have spent the coins Tywin gave her on the first ship away from Westeros.

But if this is true, who's to tell Tyrion? No one in his immediate circle of acquaintances at the end of ADWD would know . . . except . . .

Penny. She was performing in Braavos prior to Joffrey's wedding. Since she goes to Volantis after King's Landing, we can assume she's an experienced traveler. But since she's a poor foreigner, she might very likely have stayed at the same brothel--we know it's friendly to Westerosis, and judging by the way the whores treat Arya, it's probably a pretty safe place to stay--Penny's stayed in brothels before, as Littlefinger tells us.

Tyrion hasn't told her about Tysha--only Sansa. If he did spill the tale to her, might she point him towards Braavos?

Wow.. I give you a lot of credit for putting this together! Good job!

The only problem is, I don't think Penny would put two and two together. Heck, she still calls him Hugor Hill all the time.

It would make little sense of her to blab details about her former marriage to a Lannister to every performer she meets in Braavos. I doubt anyone but her really knows.

Best chance at a reunion is for Tyrion to take Casterly Rock and Tysha to hear about it and show up.

Thanks Howling Mad and Fender.

I searched for sailor's wife + lanna and found this theory that says sailor's wife could be Tysha or Gerion Lannister's wife (Gerion was a sailor)

http://awoiaf.wester...s_Wife/Theories

The timing is almost certainly wrong for Gerion to be Lana's father. Lana is a few years older than Gerion's daughter Joy Hill - Gerion's ill-fated trip to Essos had to happen a few years after Lana's birth.

Excellent observation, however, you're missing the big item. LF knows Tyrion was legally married to Tysha which means Tyrion's marriage to Sansa is void. A voided Tyrion/Sansa marriage is the real diamond here not Tyrion finding Tysha.

It's not a huge kept secret about Tyrion's first marriage I thought, but didn't it get voided?

LF is counting on Cersei just killing him at least that's what he tells Sansa. Sansa definitely knows that her husband used to be married....

Dang it straws ADD UP... stupid straws.

I like the thought of Tysha resurfacing to annul Sansa's marriage to Tyrion, but I have preservations. Littlefinger knows of Tyrion's marriage to Tysha, but does he know of the Sailor's Wife?

Thats a good question he does have a lot of spies but most I gather are westerosi, but if he knows of that specific brothel then the ops reference might make sense.

I don't want Tyrion to find Tysha. Not only is it contrived, but I feel like Tyrion's character would be better served if he doesn't get that reunion, he doesn't get to apologize, but has to come to terms with what happened himself and ultimately move past it. I think the real character growth would come from never finding Tysha but accepting what had happened.

The Sailor's Wife is not Tysha.

The fortune teller tells Arya that the lost husband is dead and will only ever return as a corpse.

Hence the husband that she longs for is not Tyrion.

More often than not prophecies are more figurative than literal.

Tyrion is a completely different person compared to his innocent 13 year old self. The man Tysha knew is gone and if Tyrion and Tysha were to reuinte, Tysha would find a cold, pessimistic sarcastic asshole, not a happy kid who loves nothing more than relaxing and listening to her singing.

I like Tyrion since I've followed his story for so long, but if Tysha meets him, I could see her describe him as a corpse, and yet another subtle foreshadowing reference is woven into this story

Excellent observation, however, you're missing the big item. LF knows Tyrion was legally married to Tysha which means Tyrion's marriage to Sansa is void. A voided Tyrion/Sansa marriage is the real diamond here not Tyrion finding Tysha.

:agree:

I don't want Tyrion to find Tysha. Not only is it contrived, but I feel like Tyrion's character would be better served if he doesn't get that reunion, he doesn't get to apologize, but has to come to terms with what happened himself and ultimately move past it. I think the real character growth would come from never finding Tysha but accepting what had happened.

:agree: I mean what is he going to say? 'Oh hey babe, sorry I raped you and watched as dozens of men did.'

And... What? She just falls into his arms? Doubtful.

The only way I can see her accepting Tyrion is if she makes choices for him., such as killing Jaime for the part he played. That could be very interesting and somehow tie into Maggy's prophecy.

I do, however believe she is the sailor's wife and if she is, that's actually an incredibly sad story. She would have so much psychological torment to demand marriage before sex, even for just one night. :frown5:

The timing is almost certainly wrong for Gerion to be Lana's father. Lana is a few years older than Gerion's daughter Joy Hill - Gerion's ill-fated trip to Essos had to happen a few years after Lana's birth.

Just want to say that Gerion had been to the Free Cities before his expedition, so he could have fathered Lanna then. As far as I can see, the timelines don't exclude either of the candidates for the Sailor's Wife's husband.

If GRRM keeps following the "niece/nephew looks just like their aunt/uncle" formula in the books, then Arya has probably noticed an uncanny resemblance between pretty little Lanna and Cercei already. We just don't hear about it in the books because the POV is from Cat of the Canal's point of view and not Arya's.

Arya has also been told she's the spitting image of her aunt Lyanna by Ned.

Also she's good buddies with the Sailor's wife, probably so that she could practice her lying game skills with her to find out what was going on. Remember the Kindly Man (or Waif maybe?) told her once she learned that skill no secret would ever be safe from her.

Soooo.... Arya knows.

Littlefinger? Maybe, though we're not shown exactly how.

Archived