Guess who knows where Tysha is . . .

nekrohsis

That's possible.

It would be really interesting if Baelish knows and could use her to annul Sansa's marriage.

Great idea! I totally think Little Finger wants to sit the iron throne and have Sansa there as his tame queen. I also think He is the Valonqar:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102589-valonqar-theory/?hl=valonqar

There's a theory that the Sailor's Wife, a prostitute in Braavos, is actually Tysha, as evidenced by her trick of wedding the men who bed her, her fluency in the Common Tongue, and her daughter, the golden-haired Lanna (for Lannister?) who is the right age to be Tyrion's daughter. Keep in mind, if her daughter is Tyrion's (she could have well been pregnant even before the gang-rape) the girl is Tyrion's legitimate heir and Tysha could very well have spent the coins Tywin gave her on the first ship away from Westeros.

But if this is true, who's to tell Tyrion? No one in his immediate circle of acquaintances at the end of ADWD would know . . . except . . .

Penny. She was performing in Braavos prior to Joffrey's wedding. Since she goes to Volantis after King's Landing, we can assume she's an experienced traveler. But since she's a poor foreigner, she might very likely have stayed at the same brothel--we know it's friendly to Westerosis, and judging by the way the whores treat Arya, it's probably a pretty safe place to stay--Penny's stayed in brothels before, as Littlefinger tells us.

Tyrion hasn't told her about Tysha--only Sansa. If he did spill the tale to her, might she point him towards Braavos?

At least that would give a point to Penny's story. I like the idea of Tyrion having a child out there somewhere. Hope he finds Tysha. Hope your right.

There is one that does know where Tysha went and that was Tywin's steward. We hear about him when Tywin instructs Mott to go to the man for payment and later Tyrion hears from his father that the "Steward probably sent her on her way". It may or may not be the same steward, but he would be the one to know what became of the girl.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure this topic is dead and buried. But, why can't The Sailor's Wife be Tysha and also be Gerion's "wife"? He takes Tysha with him to get her out of the Rock and Lannisport. Takes care of her even when she discover's her pregnancy. He probably never even touched her, just looked after her until he could get her somewhere he thought was safer for her and the baby. Maybe he had no intentions of coming back for her after dropping her off in Braavos, or maybe he did.

Anyway, just putting that out there after reading this whole thread and noting its absence.

I think the sailor's wife is probably Tysha and Lanna their son, but I think GRRM will leave it as it stands, unconfirmed but hinted at. She has her life in Braavos and Tyrion will get over her, go through a redemptive arc, find his purpose and never find out "where whores go".

Sansa gets out of the wedding with Tyrion. Brilliant.

If this marriage was annulled, as Tyrion said "made as if it never had happened", then even Tysha alive and well would not invalidate Sansa's and Tyrion's marriage.

Though I am sure Tyrion would gladly forget about Sansa if Tysha were only remotely wiiling to take him back.

But anyway: no matter what the legal status of the Tyrion /Sansa marriage is: none of them could or would force the other to stay ith him resp. her, married or not.

Any plot line that gives import to Penny is good with me. I like her...she's spunky and common.

But we will never find out where the whore went.

And it's better that way...life is full of unexplained stuff, and done rightly it adds to the experience to NOT have all loose ends tied up in literature.

• 5 months later...

The age part fits in perfectly, agreed. But again, there are questions.

"The other whores said that the Sailors Wife visited the Isle of the Gods on the days when her flower was in bloom, and knew all the gods who lived there, even the ones that Braavos had forgotten. They said she went to pray for her first husband, her true husband, who had been lost at sea when she was a girl no older than Lanna. She thinks that if she finds the right god, maybe he will send the winds and blow her old love back to her, said one-eyed Yna, who had known her longest, but I pray it never happens. Her love is dead, I could taste that in her blood. If he ever should come back to her, it will be a corpse."

Tyrion was never a sailor, nor was he out at sea.

Wherever whores go. Was Tysha really a whore? I don't think so.

But I think Gerion is also a possible source to tell Tyrion. He left in 292 A.L which I think was after the the Tysha incident, and I can see Tywin confiding in him like he did with Kevan. Because gerion did have a bastard with a woman on braavos, a little time before he sailed for Volantis.

And also, he was lost out on sea! This even fits Yna's tale.

Also, the time frame matches with gerion.

Give it a thought. Gerion seems more apt here, considering he was a sailor who got lost out on sea and he had a bastard in braavos. Also, gerion must have married her before bedding her, as she asked people to generally. Hence the 'husband'. Also the age and time line fits.

There's a theory that the Sailor's Wife, a prostitute in Braavos, is actually Tysha, as evidenced by her trick of wedding the men who bed her, her fluency in the Common Tongue, and her daughter, the golden-haired Lanna (for Lannister?) who is the right age to be Tyrion's daughter. Keep in mind, if her daughter is Tyrion's (she could have well been pregnant even before the gang-rape) the girl is Tyrion's legitimate heir and Tysha could very well have spent the coins Tywin gave her on the first ship away from Westeros.

But if this is true, who's to tell Tyrion? No one in his immediate circle of acquaintances at the end of ADWD would know . . . except . . .

Penny. She was performing in Braavos prior to Joffrey's wedding. Since she goes to Volantis after King's Landing, we can assume she's an experienced traveler. But since she's a poor foreigner, she might very likely have stayed at the same brothel--we know it's friendly to Westerosis, and judging by the way the whores treat Arya, it's probably a pretty safe place to stay--Penny's stayed in brothels before, as Littlefinger tells us.

Tyrion hasn't told her about Tysha--only Sansa. If he did spill the tale to her, might she point him towards Braavos?

I could see penny taking about some random whore and penny's says ".....she probably went to braavos, that is where whore's go" but I doubt penny knows the story or Tysha

The loss of Tysha is something that defines Tyrion as a character; makes him untrustworthy of others and filled with regret and self-hate. Reuniting with his love would take away a lot of the characterization that has made Tyrion so interesting, so just from a storytelling perspective, it doesn't make sense for Tyrion to ever find her (it would be poor writing if he did). This is not to say that we, as readers, can't be given hints as to her possible existence and location, but it will never be explicitly confirmed or denied, much like the gravedigger/Hound possibility.

I like the connection with Barra and Bella as names - nice!

Even if she's dead, it would be nice for Tyrion to get some closure on Tysha - that would be the bittersweet ending to his story ( kind of like Forrest Gump, don't shoot me!)

I like this theory because it fits with my own theory that LF has Tysha and that is how he can wed Sansa to anyone. People love to argue this point with me for whatever reason, but if a marriage is so hard to put aside that LF can't marry her since she was married to Tyrion, then Tyrion was already married and could not have been legally married to Sansa.

• 5 months later...

What if... The sailors wife is Tysha, who was brought to braavos by Jon Connington, who married her on the way over, then left her so he could raise "aegon" , but who is technically "dead" now, because of the greyscale? Has anyone wondered this before? More importantly, does it fit the timeline?

Since this thread has been necro'd back to life...

Or a surprise visit to Braavos because he's curious to see what the Titan looks like.

I like that. One of the first things he does in the first book is go to Castle Black because it's always been an ambition of his to piss off the edge of the Wall. One of the first things he does in the last book is go to Braavos because it's always been an ambition of his to be pissed on by the Titan. :)

Archived