Guess who knows where Tysha is . . .

nekrohsis

The point is, Tywin can't legally annul the marriage. Only Tyrion or Tysha could, and there's no evidence to support the fact that either of them did so.

if i recall the ssm quote it says the process must be requested by one of the participants. there's no reason why tyrion wouldn't ask for it given what he thought about her at the time. but it is true there is not a lot about this in the text. not sure if i would assume that meant it didn't happen. it's really too dangerous and sloppy to "just leave it as is" considering the wealth and power of the lannisters. considering why tywin had the girl raped in the first place it really doesn't make sense to then walk away and leave them married.

It seems a safe assumption that if Tywin could bully his son into standing by and watching his wife raped by the garrison of men, he could easily bully him into saying whatever was needed to get an annulment, its not believable that he would leave such a loose end as some peasant girl who he had publicly raped by 50 men to still be legally married to his son.

Tyrion was 13 - A MINOR, even in Westeros. Any father could have had that marriage annulled. The Lord of Casterly Rock would certainly have had no trouble.

As for who knows what happened to Tysha, I think Jaime might. I doubt he anticipated Tywin's actions anymore than he anticipated the Sack of King's Landing. He was just, once again, left with the ashes.

A young woman, leaving the guards barracks with a lot of silver and a golden dragon, had little chance of getting very far before being robbed and/or molested again as soon as the first shift went off duty. I think the Knight in him would have gone after her and made sure she reached some sort of safety. Lannister pride.

Tyrion was 13 - A MINOR, even in Westeros. Any father could have had that marriage annulled. The Lord of Casterly Rock would certainly have had no trouble.

As for who knows what happened to Tysha, I think Jaime might. I doubt he anticipated Tywin's actions anymore than he anticipated the Sack of King's Landing. He was just, once again, left with the ashes.

A young woman, leaving the guards barracks with a lot of silver and a golden dragon, had little chance of getting very far before being robbed and/or molested again as soon as the first shift went off duty. I think the Knight in him would have gone after her and made sure she reached some sort of safety. Lannister pride.

Eh, I don't know about that, Jamie Lannister has been very careless with everyone in the world except for his sister and brother his whole life.

I can't remember how far Casterly Rock is from Lannisport, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that she could have made it to Lannisport and then taken a ship to Essos.

Just want to say that Gerion had been to the Free Cities before his expedition, so he could have fathered Lanna then. As far as I can see, the timelines don't exclude either of the candidates for the Sailor's Wife's husband.

That's why I said "almost certainly." :wideeyed:

The Lannister free cities trip appears to be a rite of passage taken at about sixteen. We do't know Gerion's date of birth, but we do know his father Tytos dies around 267 AL, and that he's predeceased by his wife. That puts the 1st trip at the latest around 283 AL. If he sires Lanna around then, she'd be about 18. (For some reason I always think of Genna as the youngest of Tytos' kids, but I don't know that's actually so).

It's possible there are other trips as well, but he seems to have been a real presence in Tyrion's life prior to his last trip (which had to take place after 288 when Joy was born; the wiki puts it at 292), which doesn't leave a lot of time for additional journies to the east.

What does work timing wise is that the Sailor's wife=Tysha. Lanna is about fourteen, Tyrion is about 28. She'd have been conceived around the time of Tyrion's first marriage.

And I agree with the poster who noted that there is no contradiction with the prophecy that SM's husband is dead. The boy she married is long gone.

I really like this theory, especially because of Penny's name. Remember, in ASOS, the people start referring to the new tax on prostitution as "the dwarf's penny." I think maybe Tyrion has to "pay the dwarf's penny" (i.e. protect/help Penny) before he can find out "where whores go."

There was a thread about this a while back in which it was mentioned that, according to the SSM, a marriage could only be annulled if one of the two participants came forward and asked the High Septon for it. Tyrion never did this, and it's highly unlikely Tysha did. Annulling the marriage would only draw more attention; Tywin probably just swept it under the rug and pretended it never happened. No one will listen to a common girl who'll say she's secretly married to the heir of Casterly Rock, and Tywin thinks he can force his son to marry a more suitable woman.

A side note--I read a book on human mutants that mentioned that a side effect of dwarfism is late-onset puberty. Some men with the condition don't sexually mature until age twenty. So if we're being completely biologically accurate here, then Tyrion shouldn't have been able to successfully copulate at age thirteen. Of course, the only way it could be proved Lanna was his daughter would be if she actually gave birth to a dwarf, but wouldn't Tywin just be spinning in his grave if he knew the legal heir to Casterly Rock was a whore?

Haveing it annulled is very simple if you're Tywin Lannister. You go to the drunken septon and say to him "Either you find some precedent in your rule book that allows it to be annulled, or you pretend it never happenned to begin with. Fail to do this, and you'll soon be preaching to the molluscs at the bottom of the Sunset Sea."

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of the Sailor's Wife being Tysha. But I hope the clues are just for the readers to know what happened to her and that Tyrion never finds her.

For many reasons, #1 Too many side plots already, not everything needs to be resolved with a nice little bow.

Considering Tyrion is in the East and I'm sure he plans to return west a stay in Braavos would probably be part of the journey. And we all know our little friend loves himself a brothel so theres a chance he finds the right one. I wouldnt put it past GRRM to have Tyrion unknowingly bed his own daughter if there was an opportunity.

And now I have a deep desire to watch the movie Oldboy. Best movie ever ftw.

When I re read that chapter I was convinced that the sailors wife was Gerion's wife, he was the one who disappeared at sea. As far as I remember the first time Tyrion goes to sea is when he crosses to Pentos. Also do you honestly think that Tysha will be in love with the husband who raped her imeddeatly after his father's guards had raped her, I think not.

And now I have a deep desire to watch the movie Oldboy. Best movie ever ftw.

Oh god.

When I re read that chapter I was convinced that the sailors wife was Gerion's wife, he was the one who disappeared at sea. As far as I remember the first time Tyrion goes to sea is when he crosses to Pentos. Also do you honestly think that Tysha will be in love with the husband who raped her imeddeatly after his father's guards had raped her, I think not.

Keep in mind that such an event as what happened to Tysha would severely traumatize her. We can't really make any inherent claims as to how she might react afterwards without knowing more about her.

Considering Tyrion is in the East and I'm sure he plans to return west a stay in Braavos would probably be part of the journey. And we all know our little friend loves himself a brothel so theres a chance he finds the right one. I wouldnt put it past GRRM to have Tyrion unknowingly bed his own daughter if there was an opportunity.

Way to find something that makes Jaime/Cersei look normal and decent!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that such an event as what happened to Tysha would severely traumatize her. We can't really make any inherent claims as to how she might react afterwards without knowing more about her.

I'll admit it's just a guess, but a good one I feel.

I don't want Tyrion to find Tysha. Not only is it contrived, but I feel like Tyrion's character would be better served if he doesn't get that reunion, he doesn't get to apologize, but has to come to terms with what happened himself and ultimately move past it. I think the real character growth would come from never finding Tysha but accepting what had happened.

I agree. I think, if this is to be true, that GRRM put this in here for the readers to find and for the readers to have closure.

Also do you honestly think that Tysha will be in love with the husband who raped her imeddeatly after his father's guards had raped her, I think not.

Obviously not. But she might well want to get Tyrion to legitimize any blonde, appropriately-aged bastard of hers (that might or might not be Tyrion's). She could certainly guilt him into doing it.

Archived