Is Stannis Foreshadowed to Win?

Davos Baratheon

I've had a thought about how Stannis is described and I wondered if GRRM is foreshadowing that Stannis will at least hold the Iron Throne for some time.

Doesn't it fit that the man described as Iron, who is backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos will take the Iron Throne? I also think that him being the only surviving king of the War of Five Kings is very significant, especially since he had written off by all of the characters (bar Davos) from the start.

I may be wrong, but it's just something to ponder. Do any of you agree/disagree with my theory and if so, why?

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Well seeing as GRRM has said that quite a few People will sit on the Iron Throne, so maybe Stannis will. I hope he does, even if he sits on it for a little bit, Stannis deserves it.

I've had a thought about how Stannis is described and I wondered if GRRM is foreshadowing that Stannis will at least hold the Iron Throne for some time.

Doesn't it fit that the man described as Iron, who is backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos will take the Iron Throne? I also think that him being the only surviving king of the War of Five Kings is very significant, especially since he had written off by all of the characters (bar Davos) from the start.

I may be wrong, but it's just something to ponder. Do any of you agree/disagree with my theory and if so, why?

Hmm I'd love if he did but not too sure how he'd manage to pull it off, but there has to be some significance to him surviving this long. I don't have time to go into detail now but I think that line:

“That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper’s rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and the melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.”

Usurper's host could mean Jon and Stannis or Gendry replacing Robert and Eddard. I have nothing to back that up bar Jon's dream of being armored in ice and I think Daenerys will turn out to be a major "villain".

Kinda crackpot-ish. Welcome to the forum!

I would want nothing more than to see Stannis sit on the Iron Throne and finally get what's rightfully his. He's been an underdog from the start, but he still managed to outlive all the other pretenders. And he didn't do it by hiding. He took the war to the Lannisters' doorsteps. He was the man that led the assault on King's Landing, which is one of the most important battles in the whole war.

But I honestly don't think it's gonna happen any time soon. Stannis is stuck in the North. Even when he takes Winterfell, he'll still be stuck in the North by winter. His Queen and daughter are at the Wall, his men are tired and malnourished. For the time being, he has to stay in the North.

And if the Others come, I don't want him to go South. I want him to go North, back to the Wall. I want him to die a hero's death fighting the true enemy. I want him to die protecting all those who stood by him, and all those who stood against him. I want him to die protecting the Realm, as a true King should. :commie: :bowdown: :crying:

Welcome to the forum, Ser Davos.

Well, there are also the ironborn and Euron Greyjoy's ambitions.

But seriously, the passage where Jon muses that with this loan Stannis may just have won the war, reads to me like a kiss of death. After that, Stannis is as dead as an old cop who shared his retirement plans with his rookie partner. As a young soldier who's shown you his girlfriend's photo.

That was on the show...

In the show he directly leads the assault actually fighting. In the books he leads from the rear, but he is still leading. So yes, he did lead the attack on kl in the sense that he was the overall commander of the forces attacking kl.

In the show he directly leads the assault actually fighting. In the books he leads from the rear, but he is still leading. So yes, he did lead the attack on kl in the sense that he was the overall commander of the forces attacking kl.

I still like the fact that we're only told that from Tyrion's POV, I don't care what GRRM said!

I think Stannis may very well have some time 'on' the Iron Throne (though possibly not literally, as I'm not sure he will get that far south), but I don't see it lasting. He is neither fire nor ice.

That said, Stannis is a man of honor, so I DO see him dying a heroes death, as Alex said... possibly as soon as winning the iron throne, something comes up where he has to choose between claiming the throne physically and doing the right thing in battle, and Stannis will do what's right.

Stannis isn't Robert. He isn't a conquerer, he isn't a leader.

You may want to do a reread. He is enough of a leader to hold se against the might of the reach for a year at the age of 17, he's leader enough to smash the ironborn at fair isle, leader enough to destroy mance rayders host of 100k with only a thousand men. Leader enough to march on wf in the winter.

Your ignorance is astounding.

What did iron link in the maysters necklace represent?

I think Stannis is one of those characters who wins when it looks like he'll lose and loses when it looks like he'll win. Renly had the much larger host and it looked like he would win but then Stannis pulled a victory out of his ass (or rather, Mel's vagina). At Blackwater it totally looked like Stannis would win, only to have Tywin and the Tyrell's come out of nowhere and crush him. Mance had the larger host by far, but Stannis still pulled it off. Going back further, he held SE against incredible odds and he beat the Iron Born at sea, when they supposedly have like the best navy in the world.

Now he's locked in a battle with the Bolton's and it looks like he will be crushed....which means he'll win. But like mcb said, the the Iron Bank backing him and Jon saying 'Stannis is sure to win now b/c of it', basically painting Stannis as the favorite to win, is like the kiss of death for his chances of sitting the throne.

So no, he'll beat the Bolton's but I don't think he will sit the Iron Throne. Not unless GRRM does something to paint him as an underdog again, like remove the Iron Bank's backing or something. But I don't think that will happen.

Archived