Is Stannis Foreshadowed to Win?

Davos Baratheon

that would be awsome, but he has very little chance :frown5:

i think fAegon will win the IT until Dany comes to Westeros and reveales that he is fake. Stannis probably will be dead at that time

i hate that Dany will be the queen :bang:

Dany will prob take the Throne from Aegon, but she'll never keep it, so don't worry.

There are some interesting parallels here between Stannis and Dany. The overall theme being you don't sieze your rule and then make people love or respect you; rather you must get the people behind you and support you and you'll rule successfully. Dany was in the middle of learning this is Meereen (and whether she succeeds in learning this will determine GoodDany vs EvilDany, IMHO). Stannis starts out blustering about "mine by rights" as well and look how far it got him: Alive but freezing his butt off in a winter seige of Winterfell. But I have a feeling that something's in his future that will temper his iron somewhat (assuming the pink letter's a fraud, which it obviously must be). Whether it will be victory over the Boltons to win the North or a victory over the Others to get the realm's attention I don't quite know but that's the path I see.

Like many above have said, I hope he sits the Iron Throne, or at least gets some opportunity to do some good in a land that's been ravaged for so long.

There are some interesting parallels here between Stannis and Dany. The overall theme being you don't sieze your rule and then make people love or respect you; rather you must get the people behind you and support you and you'll rule successfully. Dany was in the middle of learning this is Meereen (and whether she succeeds in learning this will determine GoodDany vs EvilDany, IMHO). Stannis starts out blustering about "mine by rights" as well and look how far it got him: Alive but freezing his butt off in a winter seige of Winterfell. But I have a feeling that something's in his future that will temper his iron somewhat (assuming the pink letter's a fraud, which it obviously must be). Whether it will be victory over the Boltons to win the North or a victory over the Others to get the realm's attention I don't quite know but that's the path I see.

Like many above have said, I hope he sits the Iron Throne, or at least gets some opportunity to do some good in a land that's been ravaged for so long.

Stannis has started getting people to support him though, the big turning point was going to the Wall, then he llistens to Jon Snow and goes to the mountain clans, so hopefully he's already on the way. I'll have to do a re-read but I don't see any real sign of Daenerys doing anything like that.

Never particularly fond of Stannis when I first read the books, However, after reading much discussion here, realize there is something special about him.

He WILL.NOT.LOSE.

I think that he will survive until the end.

I've had a thought about how Stannis is described and I wondered if GRRM is foreshadowing that Stannis will at least hold the Iron Throne for some time.

Doesn't it fit that the man described as Iron, who is backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos will take the Iron Throne? I also think that him being the only surviving king of the War of Five Kings is very significant, especially since he had written off by all of the characters (bar Davos) from the start.

I may be wrong, but it's just something to ponder. Do any of you agree/disagree with my theory and if so, why?

i disagree. stannis will most likely never sit on the iron throne.

There are some interesting parallels here between Stannis and Dany. The overall theme being you don't sieze your rule and then make people love or respect you; rather you must get the people behind you and support you and you'll rule successfully. Dany was in the middle of learning this is Meereen (and whether she succeeds in learning this will determine GoodDany vs EvilDany, IMHO). Stannis starts out blustering about "mine by rights" as well and look how far it got him

first of all, nice name.

as for your post, it is interesting that both dany and stannis believe the throne is theirs by right and it is this belief that drives them onward. however there are fundamental differences between the two.

dany is far more concerned about how she is perceived and works at being loved and respected while be a fair ruler. she has little experience in any of it but her compassion goes a long way when it comes to making decisions. she has good advisors but usually (not always) follows her instincts - for better or for worse.

stannis can't get anyone to love him and will probably lose the respect of many as he proceeds to become more of a supporter of r'hollor and burning people. he is more concerned with the law than compassion but has much more experience in battle and governing. he has 2 advisors, davos and melisandre, and usually follows their advice.

ultimately i doubt that either will sit on the throne and both will be willing to die defending it.

stannis can't get anyone to love him and will probably lose the respect of many as he proceeds to become more of a supporter of r'hollor and burning people. he is more concerned with the law than compassion but has much more experience in battle and governing. he has 2 advisors, davos and melisandre, and usually follows their advice.

I would say stannis has gotten davos to love him, and Andrew estermont who was with him from the start.

As for him becoming more a supporter of rhollor I don't see it. In fact we see him becoming less of a supporter when he says no more burnings due to most of his army being composed if Northmen.

He has a great advisor in davos, it's true and he always follows his advice. With Mel though he always struggles and its never him blindly rushing to do what she says, he weighs his options and listens to what she says but does not always act on it.

I would say stannis has gotten davos to love him, and Andrew estermont who was with him from the start.

As for him becoming more a supporter of rhollor I don't see it. In fact we see him becoming less of a supporter when he says no more burnings due to most of his army being composed if Northmen.

He has a great advisor in davos, it's true and he always follows his advice. With Mel though he always struggles and its never him blindly rushing to do what she says, he weighs his options and listens to what she says but does not always act on it.

yes davos loves him. not so sure about estermont. more loyalty and respect but nothing wrong with that. we'll see about the burnings.

and yes, again, to davos. he would be completely lost without him. mel does give him a bit of a struggle and he does not blindly follow her but he is unsure about her powers and often chooses to side with her in the hopes of obtaining more supernatural successes. fortunately davos intercedes here when necessary.

Warcraft.

interesting that iron is the symbol of war. definitely something stannis shows mastery and understanding.

You may want to do a reread. He is enough of a leader to hold se against the might of the reach for a year at the age of 17,

He stayed in a magically guarded castle while an enemy that had no intent of attacking waited outside.

he's leader enough to smash the ironborn at fair isle,

Fair point.

leader enough to destroy mance rayders host of 100k with only a thousand men.

He had a few thousand armored cavalry against mainly peasants and maybe (at the most) 20 thousand fighters weilding bone weapons and tired from a steady march south.

I personally believe Stannis is probably a pretty great tactician and commander, but that victory doesn't say anything about his ability. The nature of any armed conflict isn't to wipe out your enemy, but to cause them to give up. Each individual unit you get to flee lowers the resolve of the next. The multitudes of common folk that were just hanging out would instantly flee at the sound of hoofbeats and the battle would already be over. Only Mance's proficient leadership and quick response made it anything other than a training exercise.

Leader enough to march on wf in the winter.

While all the while, your own men grumble that they would've preferred to have a real leader at the helm.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Stannis is a commander, not a leader. Part of being a leader is being charismatic, inspirational. Stannis is none of those, and I don't mean that as a slight, I just mean it as a matter of fact. Stannis himself would admit it. If Stannis was a leader, Robert would've given him Storm's End, not Dragonstone. If Stannis was a leader, Renly wouldn't have had a case for the throne.

The only man he's ever led is The Onion Knight. Everyone else he commands.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Well seeing as GRRM has said that quite a few People will sit on the Iron Throne, so maybe Stannis will. I hope he does, even if he sits on it for a little bit, Stannis deserves it.

Totally agree. I hope we see him sit the Iron Throne. I don't know if he will last long though.

I don't see how he can get all the way to KL from the North, and sit the throne, and have others sit the throne, before the series runs its course. But who knows? I'd like him to, but if he's just on the throne temporarily that'd be kind of stupid imo

I've had a thought about how Stannis is described and I wondered if GRRM is foreshadowing that Stannis will at least hold the Iron Throne for some time.

Doesn't it fit that the man described as Iron, who is backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos will take the Iron Throne? I also think that him being the only surviving king of the War of Five Kings is very significant, especially since he had written off by all of the characters (bar Davos) from the start.

I may be wrong, but it's just something to ponder. Do any of you agree/disagree with my theory and if so, why?

the bolded line is :lol:

There are some things about the Iron Bank's support that increase the probability that Stannis will gain the throne some point. One is that it obviously makes his cause more powerful, as Jon observed. Another interesting thing is that (TWOW sample chapter)

signing the bank's document in blood seems to be some kind of foreshadowing. As if he will succeed in his quest by holding the throne for a time but doing so will ultimately expend his blood and life force.

GRRM could have just gotten rid of Stannis after he returned to Dragonstone, or during AFFC or ADWD. Yet Stannis is still alive, indicating his arc may not be done as of yet. The sample chapter simply reinforces this probability.

Here's the deal, without all the R'hollor stuff he's a lock to win the people. In the North he will take out the Ironemen and the Boltons and if he can, restore the Starks to Wintefell. That's been his goal.

If he went to the Riverlands, Freys and Lannisters are toast, Riverrun is restored to Edmure if possible, his heir if possible, or to a Sansa who's marriage has been annulled. The people of the Riverlands would LOVE him. Things get a lot murkier south of there though. The people of the Vale have not been mistreated, nor have the Stormland folks, the Garden state folks or the people the Marches and Dorne. Now, he could win some points by kicking the Iron Men out of the Reach, bu the Tyrells are more than capable of doing that themselves.

So, he could win, the Northern Kingdom and the Riverlands to his cause, following the path of Rob Stark. That doesn't get him anything. The North by this point is probably less populated than Dorne.

Here's the deal, without all the R'hollor stuff he's a lock to win the people. In the North he will take out the Ironemen and the Boltons and if he can, restore the Starks to Wintefell. That's been his goal.

the thing is, stannis is not "without all the r'hollor stuff". in fact, one could argue all his success in obtaining the iron throne so far has been because of it. he has completely aligned himself with it even changing his sigil. that is something shouldn't be taken lightly when one considers stannis. if he tones down the r'hollor stuff, he may have some luck in the north. but if he continues with his wish to burn down the weirwoods, all bets are off.

If he went to the Riverlands, Freys and Lannisters are toast, Riverrun is restored to Edmure if possible, his heir if possible, or to a Sansa who's marriage has been annulled. The people of the Riverlands would LOVE him. Things get a lot murkier south of there though. The people of the Vale have not been mistreated, nor have the Stormland folks, the Garden state folks or the people the Marches and Dorne. Now, he could win some points by kicking the Iron Men out of the Reach, bu the Tyrells are more than capable of doing that themselves.

that's a lot of ifs. at this point, the lannister forces are not toast. what's more, it is stannis who would have the largest burden of moving what is left of his army to the riverlands - none of which would happen for a while since winter has arrived.

not sure why the peasants would love him since what they will need is food and supplies and stannis has none. edmure does not have an heir yet and sansa isn't even considering having her marriage annulled at the moment. so yeah, a lot of hypotheticals but you've ignored the bigger threat of the others heading south. all of this will likely be a big road block to stannis reaching king's landing victoriously.

Never particularly fond of Stannis when I first read the books, However, after reading much discussion here, realize there is something special about him.

He WILL.NOT.LOSE.

I think that he will survive until the end.

Oh, lord! E Ro, converting Stan stans, one at a time.

Archived