A Game of Thrones graphic novel

total1402

I had a brief skim through this when I saw it in Forbidden Planet. To be honest I really wasn't impressed by the artwork. A lot of the sketching looked shaby and it was all sharp lines and every face had a blocky look. Definetly not up to the standard of other graphic novels or comics I've seen like The Boys or Star Wars legacy. So I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

I couldn't agree more. But I am buying the graphic novel collections (as they appear) for my large GRRM collection, while skipping the individual, frequently late single ssues, with their multiple cover Variants and Retailer Incentive versions done for each and every issue. I'll be surprised if the first novel ("A Game of Thrones") is ever finished, let along the rest of the books in the Ice and Fire series. My local comic shop has stopped carrying the individual issues entirely due to indifferent sales.

The comic shop I frequent, carries very little of the comics anymore. Dynamite took a great risk hiring Tommy Patterson who was hired because he was "fast" and "cheap" (just read the comments in the HC collection Vol1). Which begs the question as to why the single issues have been frequently late if by weeks or a month. Dynamite could have and would be making far more sales of this comic series if they had taken a better risk hiring a more experienced/higher paid artist. Even One that actually knew and who had a love for the story before even applying for the position would have been a bonus. They had initially hoped Mike S. Miller (of Hedge Knight comic fame) would do the interior art. But he bowed out for private reasons. But he agreed to do the covers. Which was great.

Tommy Patterson is sub par at action scenes, perspective, background settings, drawing swords (with a ruler obviously, and the same thickness at any angle/perspective), He has what looks like in his mind stock faces(many look the same with hair giving then any difference), and he has trouble rendering the looks of age, and he comes from SciFI/superhero work and its obvious he hasn't done his research on medieval. He's fine with doing concept art of standing characters in the ASoIaF world. And he needs work on his animals (practice practice practice).

If your an avid comic book fan, specially of one of medieval or fantasy works. It's hard not to compare and evaluate the skill of work.

Hopefully. IF they decide to adapt 'A Clash of Kings' into comic format. They will hire a different artist. A more experienced artist and one willing to disassociate all look and feel from the prior wreckage. Heck, its proven in the TV series. They put a good sum of money into the show and its showing. We're not getting Xena but getting movie quality tv. Pay a good artist, it's worth it. I bet there are more comic illustrators out there wishing now that they could be penciling this gigantic license.

Personally I liked the artistic adaption of the Hedge Knight better. But the Game of Thrones Comics are not as bad as many people try to make it. Different artists, different styles.

His style is fine. In fact not to bad. It's his skill with drawing basics and fundamental techniques that needs work and practice.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if Mike Miller is still involved with AGoT or not, but he's done some great ASoIaF art. Thinking on ordering myself a "... and Rhaegar died." print, he just announced he was selling 110 of them.

I don't know if Mike Miller is still involved with AGoT or not, but he's done some great ASoIaF art. Thinking on ordering myself a "... and Rhaegar died." print, he just announced he was selling 110 of them.

Mike S. Miller is the main artist doing the covers of the comics. Sometimes another artist comes in to do a variant.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I picked up the 2nd Weekly booklet when I was in new york a while back and only kept it because it said game of Thrones on the cover.

For me, the comic does not bring anything new to the story. And the women in this piece of Work are just ridiculous. More breast and less waist is impossible.

Archived