Baratheon brothers are like Zeus, Poseidon, Hades

The Black Hawk

I think the major dichotomy is between Zeus and Hades--the god who rules everything and is loved by all vs. the outcast who isn't even loved by his own wife. Not sure about Renly, but Stannis and Robert fit this pattern very well. Nice find!

I can't really see it for Renly, perhaps a Storm's End/Troy comparison?

ETA: Oh, this is really reaching but was Medusa not Poseidon's lover, or rape victim if I recall correctly? Maybe that's Loras' disfigurement, or Margaery's penchant for having everyone around her die

Hades- Stannis got a shitty ass postion

Hades was the richest of all the gods, as all the dead people's souls went to the underworld and he never had to give them back.

However he was unhappy not to be in the Olympian councils, IIRC.

This does not fit with Stannis either, as he was most definitely allowed to be in the Small Council meetings under Robert's (Zeus's) reign.

Although what the Hades connection has going for it is that Kore (Persephone) is the goddess of the underworld and queen of the shades, which fits with Melisandre (I know, Stannis isn't married to her, but there is a connection).

Zeus was a god and I liked him, Robert Baratheon was a loser and I hate him

I liked Poseidon and I hate Stannis so no

Hades was entertaining and so was Renly and I hate them both so they have that in common but other than that I don't see the comparisons

You don't see the comparisons because you're mixing facts with opinions. It doesn't matter what you like. The basic comparisons fit.

Archived