The Winds of Winter , return of Benjen Stark ?

davybyrne95

Hmmmm.....Ned did dismiss the notion of the Others somewhat when he executed the deserter early in the series. It doesn't really seem the dismissive type....the way he brushed of the claims that the Others were coming never did sit right with me.

I think that is because Ned is very pragmatic and if he can't see it it doesn't exist. I believe Ned and all Starks are wargs many just don't know it. It is why I have a theory that Ned warged without knowing and lurks still in a mangled tom cat in King's Landing (aluminium foil for sale). I think this is how Jon wargs into Ghost without conscious thought.

*dons flame-retardant suit*

Jon Lives!!!!!!! :commie:

• 3 weeks later...

A while back ago I found a document online which described an earlier iteration of the asoiaf story. (partially redacted) In it, Benjen was supposed to take over as LC after Mormant dies. Before I had read that, because of the length of time gone by where Benjen is never seen or heard from, I had assumed him dead. From that I had surmised that at some point his corpse would be found, or he would be mingled with the army of the dead and members of the NW would spot him. But after thinking about this some more am I now thinking he might actually return alive, and may even be elected LC after they burn Jon. The timing seems right with the NW in peril. Someone who knows what they are doing has to step up, or the wall is doomed.

Unfortunately, I think Benjen's whereabouts will remain a mystery. I think, realistically, in a wild world, that people just go missing and are never heard or seen ever again. I don't think we will ever see Benjen, Tysha, Ashara Dayne, Old Nan, or Gerion Lannister. I would love it if we did, but I think something's will remain as they are...unknown.

I think that is because Ned is very pragmatic and if he can't see it it doesn't exist. I believe Ned and all Starks are wargs many just don't know it. It is why I have a theory that Ned warged without knowing and lurks still in a mangled tom cat in King's Landing (aluminium foil for sale). I think this is how Jon wargs into Ghost without conscious thought.

*dons flame-retardant suit*

Jon Lives!!!!!!! :commie:

Lol...Ned should Warg into one Ser Pounce and piss in Cercei's wardrobe, Bed.....fuck it, even her breakfast if he's quick enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, absolutely!  Coldhands could be just about anybody at this point.  But, I for one, will be (minimally) disappointed IF it turns out that Coldhands has existed in the North for 100+ years.  The reason being: then what has he been doing all that time and why have we not been shown any rumors or murmurings among the Wildlings, at least, about such a mysterious man?  I feel Martin is quite good and thorough with the details in ASoIaF and that would be a bit of an error or oversight to me IF it's true that Coldhands has been boppin' around the North for 100+ years :dunno:

I think he could be. CH doesn't have to be "awake" all the time. He is dead, different rules goes for him than the living. He doesn't have to eat, to sleep, etc. Maybe when the greenseers or the Others (who knows who can do the spell)  need him, they do the "spell" (I don't know how to call it) and he awakens for a year.  

I think he could be. CH doesn't have to be "awake" all the time. He is dead, different rules goes for him than the living. He doesn't have to eat, to sleep, etc. Maybe when the greenseers or the Others (who knows who can do the spell)  need him, they do the "spell" (I don't know how to call it) and he awakens for a year.  

Well, sure.  Literally, anything is possible.  However, IF you're right and that turns out to be the case then I feel Martin had better explain it somewhere along the line or I'll consider it a bit of an oversight/mistake on his part.  I mean, IF Coldhands has been awake and moving around the North for a long time, but no one has ever seen hide nor hair of him, I think that would come across as a bit of an ass-pull on Martin's part and I don't think he writes that way.  The good news is, in my opinion, that no matter who/what Coldhands turns out to be I very much doubt he's been kickin' around the North for a really long time ;)   

The good news is, in my opinion, that no matter who/what Coldhands turns out to be I very much doubt he's been kickin' around the North for a really long time ;)   

Leaf, who had walked the realms of men for two centuries, said that he had died long ago.

Pretty sure that has to mean a really long time from a purely human perspective. It wasn’t last Tuesday.

Leaf, who had walked the realms of men for two centuries, said that he had died long ago.

Pretty sure that has to mean a really long time from a purely human perspective. It wasn’t last Tuesday.

The idea that Leaf's "long ago" absolutely had to mean a really long time ago because she happens to be long-lived is just as much of an assumption as anything else at this point.

In the end, Leaf's "long ago" will mean just as long ago as Martin intended it to mean ;)  

Well, sure.  Literally, anything is possible.  However, IF you're right and that turns out to be the case then I feel Martin had better explain it somewhere along the line or I'll consider it a bit of an oversight/mistake on his part.  I mean, IF Coldhands has been awake and moving around the North for a long time, but no one has ever seen hide nor hair of him, I think that would come across as a bit of an ass-pull on Martin's part and I don't think he writes that way.  The good news is, in my opinion, that no matter who/what Coldhands turns out to be I very much doubt he's been kickin' around the North for a really long time ;)   

The idea come to my from the TV show I think. Where in one episode Bran reaches the cave and skeleton-whights come out of the snow. This means if someone is dead, even rotting in the ground doesn't matter. As long as someone aweakens the body - it could be dead from 2 minutes to 20 years. I don't remember how it happened in the books, sorry. 
So this is what makes me think CH could be from any time. Of course the black clothes, and the fact that the fabrics didn't rot and the colors didn't fade means he has to be younger than 50 years. But I try to be open for possibilities. 

Edit: I have a disturbing afterthought...

How many death people are in the snow? Anyone whose skeleton is capable of moving could be whight? It is a scary thing... How many death body could be "sleeping" frozen in the snow? 1000? 100000? 10000000? 

I'm fairly sure BR didn't just become tree man straight awAy but there's no suggestion from anyone that they know of BR existence beyond the wall and he's not the type of guy you'd miss. Beyond the wall is a huge land and he could have been killed in the land of always winter and been reanimated when BR went there to find the others!

I'm fairly sure BR didn't just become tree man straight awAy but there's no suggestion from anyone that they know of BR existence beyond the wall and he's not the type of guy you'd miss. Beyond the wall is a huge land and he could have been killed in the land of always winter and been reanimated when BR went there to find the others!

Bloodraven may not have been "moving around" the North for a really long time, though.  As I've said, IF Coldhands has been moving around the North for a really long time I would find it very disappointing if Martin never explains the Wildlings never seeing/knowing about/mentioning such an unusual being.  I am very skeptical of that sort of scenario.  I find it far more likely that Bloodraven created Coldhands when he needed an agent, so to speak, to protect and guide the extremely important Bran to him.

Also, do you have any quotes or other evidence that Bloodraven traveled to the "Land of Always Winter" to find the Others?    

Archived