How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The highlight of the episode for me was the scene between Tywin and Tyrion! Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance were both brilliant. The Unsullied scenes were great too.

I'm a little disappointed with the Littlefinger plot; just interested to see how they're going to develop his help in Sansa's escape and why they've revealed it so early without the use of Ser Dontos.

8/10

Cannot wait for episode 2!

"9"

Great, great episode. And most of the criticism people make (like the 'toned down Tormud and Mance) are actually for the best. TV is a different media and some things won't work in a drama series.

Larger than life characters work fine on screen. Look at the Spice King for example. He was pretty much the only good thing about Qarth and it was because he was hamming it up all over the place. If they'd written Tormund as he is in the books I'd say he'd be a guaranteed favourite. As it is I'm worried he'll just be seen as some generic grumpy wildling. And his character hasn't been toned down from what I've heard - it's been outright inverted.

Yeah, Tormund was important as a likeable character to show that not all wildlings were like the stereotype. Personally I found him really annoying in the books, but he was still likeable; the show version is just completely unlikeable.

This was the one book with interesting Jon material IMO, so I'm disappointed that his scene was so boring.

I posted in the Ros and Shae thread that the Sansa scene would've been better with Sansa just sitting there watching the ships until LF comes up to her.

The Sansa/Shae/Ros scene was one of the few scenes that passed the Bechdal test, so I'm glad it was included. Moreover, the conversation between Shae and Sansa was very important and included a lot of foreshadowing. The Ros/Shae conversation was also important too; it established the North's loyalty to the Starks, and set up Shae's mistrust of Littlefinger (which I expect will lead to him being sent to the Vale).

Sansa was the most important part of the scene. Cutting Shae and Ros from the scene would have done a disservice to Sansa.

Not sure I like the introduction of Qyburn this way. Putting my reasoning within book spoiler code.

If he almost died at the hands of Lannisters, why would he be so helpful to Cersei during the WOS and with Robert Strong?

My guess, they are setting up Quburn as a Lannister stooge from the start. He gets intentionally left behind to infiltrate and see if he can breed dissension in the ranks. He will be the one who connects Roose with Tywin. I think this makes a lot of sense and could work really well.

My guess, they are setting up Quburn as a Lannister stooge from the start. He gets intentionally left behind to infiltrate and see if he can breed dissension in the ranks. He will be the one who connects Roose with Tywin. I think this makes a lot of sense and could work really well.

My thinking was that he has simply gone a little insane as a result of what he has seen and has been done to him. Lying amongst corpses for I would imagine a protracted period of time would perhaps psychologically steer him towards

necromancy

My thinking was that he has simply gone a little insane as a result of what he has seen and has been done to him. Lying amongst corpses for I would imagine a protracted period of time would perhaps psychologically steer him towards

necromancy

Book spoiler:

In the books, at least, we know that Qyburn was evicted from the order of Maesters for necromancy. So he was already quite practiced before we see him doing what he does at King's Landing. I don't see any reason for the show to change that, of course, that doesn't mean they won't :)

Edited by Abaddon

I like this Tormund. I don't think he was too serious at all. His reaction to Jon calling him "Your Grace" was pretty funny.

Book Tormund was basically Yukon Cornelius with a violent streak.

Edited by Element_Engine

I gave it a 7. I thought it was pretty good overall, but there were a few things that bothered me, like the skipping of the battle at the Fist (but I do understand why they cut it).

I really dislike the fact that they made Stannis arrest Davos. I feel like they're not quite portraying the relationship between them the way I interpret it from the books. They make it seem like Davos is completely devoted to Stannis (to the point of almost being a pushover or whatever) while Stannis doesn't care all that much about him in turn. But in the books we are shown that Stannis respects and trusts Davos. For example, in their reunion after Blackwater (which was way different than what they did on the show). If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong, because it's been a while since I read the 3rd book),

Stannis wasn't the one to arrest Davos. He was put into the dungeons by the guards without an explanation and without ever seeing or speaking to Stannis. I think Mel was the one who put him there. And after he is released, he talks to Stannis, ALONE, without Mel - again, different than the show. While Stannis doesn't completely agree with Davos, he understands him and names him hand of the king, showing his trust and respect.

However, I loved the scene between Tywin and Tyrion. And the wildlings, especially Tormund Giantsbane!

I think one of the reasons I didn't enjoy this episode as much was also that a few of my favourite chraracters weren't included in here. Which is why I'm looking forward to the next one really badly.

I'm a little disappointed with the Littlefinger plot; just interested to see how they're going to develop his help in Sansa's escape and why they've revealed it so early without the use of Ser Dontos.

I imagine that when Littlefinger leaves Kings Landing, Sansa will refuse because she will marry Willas(Loras?). Littlefinger will then inform the Lannisters about this plot. To Sansa's horror she'll have to marry Tyrion instead (only to have Littlefinger come and rescue her later).

I would've given this episode a 5 but I re-watched it again and my opinion of it improved considerably, I ended up thinking it was actually pretty good.

Its just hard to forget how it is on the book and I keep frustrating myself with expectation for things that turn out to be very different or non existent in the show.

At the end of the season, when we can see all episodes in sequence, it will probably be way more enjoyable.

Still the whole thing with Sam was just a cop out, totally disconnected from the end of season 2 (the real mistake was placing him there to begin with, just plain cheap). They also could have redirected resources from unnecessary special effects (like ghost showing up, the magical scorpion) and given us a taste of the battle at the fist of the first man (30 seconds of shots of the NW fighting some wights would have sufficed, the people that were watching it with me didn't even realize that there was a battle).

LF, Sana interaction also makes little sense to me, to out in the open and why have Ros there at all? I could understand if she was taking the places of Sor Dontos, making the connectionbetween Sansa and LF but that's just not the case.

Edited by Black Frog

8/10 for me.

Very weak intro, so I was quite unhappy when the credits started, but after that... I enjoyed every scene, especially everything that happened in King's Landing.

The Lannister scenes are always so great...

It's very pleasant to see the Tyrells enter the game ! Their real introduction was in this episode and I think it is a success.

I also think the changes are very smart, especially Robb coming to Harrenhal and Barristan revealing his identity.

I would've given this episode a 5 but I re-watched it again and my opinion of it improved considerably, I ended up thinking it was actually pretty good.

Its just hard to forget how it is on the book and I keep frustrating myself with expectation for things that turn out to be very different or non existent in the show.

At the end of the season, when we can see all episodes in sequence, it will probably be way more enjoyable.

Still the whole thing with Sam was just a cop out, totally disconnected from the end of season 2 (the real mistake was placing him there to begin with, just plain cheap). They also could have redirected resources from unnecessary special effects (like ghost showing up, the magical scorpion) and given us a taste of the battle at the fist of the first man (30 seconds of shots of the NW fighting some wights would have sufficed, the people that were watching it with me didn't even realize that there was a battle).

LF, Sana interaction also makes little sense to me, to out in the open and why have Ros there at all? I could understand if she was taking the places of Sor Dontos, making the connectionbetween Sansa and LF but that's just not the case.

I agree that the opener should have been done better, but I think some people are underestimating the cost of the effects. My impression from last year was that outside of blackwater it was the most expensive of the effects they did and that was without having to display much in the way of real movement which is what I understand is supposed to be the hard part. A fight scene would require them to really move and would probably not be worth it for the scale of the battle.

I'm probably the minority here but I was put off by parts of the soundtrack. The music would get all big and kind of cliched at certain moments, like at Barristan's reveal. Too over-dramatic for my taste and it kind of cheapens the moment. Yes, we get that it's important, we don't need music telling us it's important.

I gave this episode a 7. The reason being how they introduced Barristan Selmy. Very weak.

Also they've completely ruined the Littlefinger/Sansa storyline for me. I mean its just too much. All of sudden Sansa is now in on the plot to rescue her from Kings Landing and she knows it is Littlefinger who is helping her?

Just ridiculous. That being said this one episode of Dany was so good that it almost made me forget how utterly stupid her storyline played out onscreen last season.

Joffery and Margery was also a great plot. The scene between Ros and Shae although unnecessary was very well written and had so much subtext to it. In a way you could see how Ros was nostalgic for the simpler times back at Winterfell when Sansa was just born.

8/10. The episode is really a transitional one which sets up what follows, so I didn't expect it to be another Blackwater. I have no problem at all that Tyrion still had his nose or that Barriston selmy wasn't disguised. The former would have added little if anything to the story and the latter would have been a waste of time on those who read the books or those who hadn't that weren't blind. Remember, they have 10 1-hour episodes to cover a lot of territory.

There were some highlights worth mentioning. The dragons were obviously one. I have the insane desire to wont to own one. The portrayal of Kraznys mo Nakloz was perfect. The mangled translation was fun to see. "Tell the old man, he smells of piss". I still laugh at that. Tywins's exchange with Tyrion, reflected the feeling of a man who lost his wife and got a dwarf in return, and it sets the stage for what will happen later.

All in all, I enjoyed this episode. I've watched it seven times, so I guess that is obvious.