Direwolf names - Foreshadowing?

SerSavage

I've been a long-time lurker on these forums, but only recently registered and began posting.

So here's my theory (it's not even a theory really, just something I've picked up on slightly):

The names of the Direwolves (potentially) represent the way their owners will turn out. I've put it in spoiler tags because if you haven't finished a DWD yet there's some stuff that might ruin it for you.

Robb - Grey Wind - I think this signifies the shortness of Robb's reign as King in the North, as quick as he came, he was gone again, just like the wind. Maybe the fact that the wolf's name is Grey Wind has something to do with the often referred-to grey glumness and grimness of the north.

Sansa - Lady - I think this one is fairly obvious, Sansa becomes less "wolf" and more lady as the days go by. Maybe this means she will truly lose her identity, just as she lost her wolf, through her quest to become a proper southron lady.

Arya - Nymeria - Arya's wolf becomes queen of her own pack. Maybe this could also be a foreshadowing of Arya's potential ascent to to power (I personally believe she is the valonqar, but that's for another discussion).

Bran - Summer - Bran could be the one to bring out summer in the end, nobody yet knows what his affiliation with Bloodraven might fruit.

Rickon - Shaggy dog - After Rickon's alleged time with the Skagosi, perhaps he returns many years later as the "Shaggy Dog" of the Starks, wild and unkempt like the Skagosi.

Jon - Ghost - A lot of people have come to accept that after Jon's stabbing, he will live on (as a ghost) inside Ghost (in my opinion, that was what the Varamyr prologue was telling us) and in that sense, I think this one is also pretty obvious.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but just thought it was pretty cool the way GRRM may have worked this into the story and above all I'd like to know everybody else's thoughts on the topic.

this is nice, it seems to work mostly.

Maybe Jon is bound to have a "ghost-like" existence (Like Beric Dondarrion) after his stabbing? (I really hope not)

As for Sansa, if this is forshadowing, and Lady is killed, maybe the idea of chivalry (knights and ladies and so forth) is dying in Sansa?

Not sure, haven't thought this through, seems to work though.

Sansa - Lady - I think this one is fairly obvious, Sansa becomes less "wolf" and more lady as the days go by. Maybe this means she will truly lose her identity, just as she lost her wolf, through her quest to become a proper southron lady.

I disagree. To me it's pretty much the opposite. Sansa starts out yearning to be a southron lady but learns the hard way that it's not what she wanted after all. In the later books we see her getting closer in touch with her Stark roots. Lady's death could represent quite a few things - to me, one of them is that it marks the beginning of the end of her romantic notions about lords and ladies.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

I disagree. To me it's pretty much the opposite. Sansa starts out yearning to be a southron lady but learns the hard way that it's not what she wanted after all. In the later books we see her getting closer in touch with her Stark roots. Lady's death could represent quite a few things - to me, one of them is that it marks the beginning of the end of her romantic notions about lords and ladies.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

I agree. An innocent "lady" dies at the request of the crown. Sansa see's that reality is nothing like the stories shes been told about knights and ladies. Lady dying could have been a warning to Sansa possibly dying if she stayed an innocent lady herself.

First, welcome to the forums. This is nice idea, but not very thought of. I have problems with your ideas about Lady and Ghost.

1. Lady - Sansa`s story isn`t about becoming proper lady. She started as one proper lady, and now she is a bastard. It`s actually vice versa.

2. Ghost - well, Jon`s story isn`t over. GRRM has confirmed he isn`t dead, so we may drop the idea he`ll live in Ghost from now on.

:agree:

First, welcome to the forums. This is nice idea, but not very thought of. I have problems with your ideas about Lady and Ghost.

1. Lady - Sansa`s story isn`t about becoming proper lady. She started as one proper lady, and now she is a bastard. It`s actually vice versa.

2. Ghost - well, Jon`s story isn`t over. GRRM has confirmed he isn`t dead, so we may drop the idea he`ll live in Ghost from now on.

:agree:

2. What?

When did he say this(not that I believe he's dead)?

2. What?

When did he say this(not that I believe he's dead)?

There was an interview when reporter asked him why he killed Jon and he said to her `so you think he`s dead?` and gave her/him, as she/he said intruiging smile.

There was an interview when reporter asked him why he killed Jon and he said to her `so you think he`s dead?` and gave her/him, as she/he said intruiging smile.

I think the entire point of the Varamyr prologue was to introduce us to the idea that wargs have their second lives, and third lives and so on through their animals.

And for the Sansa point, I quite like the idea that the crown ordering the death of a "lady" meant the death of the glory and valour of ladies and knights for Sansa.

I've been a long-time lurker on these forums, but only recently registered and began posting.

So here's my theory...

Welcome! I think this theory is great and it's the first time I'm hearing about it.

Sansa, if this is forshadowing, and Lady is killed, maybe the idea of chivalry (knights and ladies and so forth) is dying in Sansa?

Great point! This further strengthens the OP's theory!

While I believe Jon is still alive, I don't think this quote exactly confirms it. GRRM seems to love messing with his fans.

Which really isn't "confirmed".

Not per se, but we have more than enough evidence to conclude that Jon`s story isn`t over, I mean as living human, not undead or warg living in direwolf.

I think the entire point of the Varamyr prologue was to introduce us to the idea that wargs have their second lives, and third lives and so on through their animals.

I would better use this in Sansa`s story. That part of wolf continued its existence in a warg - Sansa.

Not per se, but we have more than enough evidence to conclude that Jon`s story isn`t over, I mean as living human, not undead or warg living in direwolf.

True enough. My own opinion is that Jon will definitely seem dead to everyone else, he might even be "dead" and he'll be in Ghost for a chapter or two while his body recovers/is healed. Or he is dead, and will be reborn as AA. I think either way, Jon will be warged into Ghost and unable to be in his own body for at least part of TWoW. Making the direworlf Jon's "ghost" for a short time.

True enough. My own opinion is that Jon will definitely seem dead to everyone else, he might even be "dead" and he'll be in Ghost for a chapter or two while his body recovers/is healed. Or he is dead, and will be reborn as AA. I think either way, Jon will be warged into Ghost and unable to be in his own body for at least part of TWoW. Making the direworlf Jon's "ghost" for a short time.

I understood OP was talking of permanent existence as `ghost`, not for short period of time. And again, I wouldn`t bet on all resurrecting thing. It has already been done so many times, it would be boring to see it again. I would prefer him to be wounded, not dead.

I understood OP was talking of permanent existence as `ghost`, not for short period of time. And again, I wouldn`t bet on all resurrecting thing. It has already been done so many times, it would be boring to see it again. I would prefer him to be wounded, not dead.

Yeah they were, I dont agree with them on that. And the last thing I want is Jon to get the kiss of life from Mel. The only Resurrection I would want at this point is one that turns the person into AA, nothing else.

Shaggydog could also be a reference to a "shaggy dog" story, a drawn-out narrative that usually has an absurd or anticlimactic ending. Which in this case could mean that Rickon's ultimate importance would be post-ASoIaF, not during the narrative proper.

Yeah they were, I dont agree with them on that. And the last thing I want is Jon to get the kiss of life from Mel. The only Resurrection I would want at this point is one that turns the person into AA, nothing else.

But as far as I know, AA doesn`t need rebirth. The person representing AAR is alive as we speak. Correct me if I am wrong.

But as far as I know, AA doesn`t need rebirth. The person representing AAR is alive as we speak. Correct me if I am wrong.

“It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”

Born again is vague, and can mean a rebirth/ressurection (thought I acknowledge it doesnt necessarily mean that). The person who I think is going to be AAR is Jon, so I dont know if he is still alive at the end of the book.

Born again is vague, and can mean a rebirth/ressurection (thought I acknowledge it doesnt necessarily mean that). The person who I think is going to be AAR is Jon, so I dont know if he is still alive at the end of the book.

`in midst of smoke and salt`... Unless they take him where they keep hams :) , I can`t see Jon doing resurrection of AA style

Archived