An Aged Missandei

LordStoneheart

I want to see her naked in new episodes, that follow what GRRM wrote in his books. Obviously I can go back and watch her in the bath in season 1. Or I could take a trip to NYC and watch her play, but I want it to stay true to GRRM's vision. I want to see her get naked with Missandei and Hizdar, and Daario. I want to see her in a tokar with one bare breast out. I want to see her as I pictured her while reading. I dislike when actors don't fully commit to the writer's views.

Well, I don't think Emilia should feel obliged to do sex scenes. That's almost rape. But I do think the sex scene with Irri was important for the book Dany's development as she does think about it a few times later when contemplating getting with Daario. If they include the scene with Missandei in place of Irri, it could work as more than just [insert girl-on-girl scene for our male audience] though few might see it that way. But in no way do I think the actress should have to do it just because it was in the books.

As I've just started the book, I discovered Missandei the way she is in the show and i'm perfectly happy with her role so far.

The one thing I thought reading this topic though is: What about all the other characters that are way aged up in the show! Almost every character is 5 to 10 years older that the book alter ego... Bran's supposed to be 8 when he's 12 in the show. Loras is supposed to be arounfd 16, Robb 14, Jon too...

I'm not complaining, I know it would be madness to cast a full set of random youngsters for several years of shooting. Yet I think it would have been better to cast kids for kids roles. To come back on Bran's example, I have no idea how old he's supposed to be later in the books, but on the show his voice and features have clearly changed and I found that a bit bothering... unless there is a time ellipse I missed.

What do you think?

(no spoilers)

Yeah, it was a conscious decision to age them all up. Dany had to be at least 18 obviously, and with most of the kids aging them up a few years is a wise decision as well (George himself said he'd make them older if he were to rewrite the books). They just expanded the aging to all characters.

As for the actors being too old for the supposed age in the show, well in some cases like Bran it might strain belief a bit, but it's not too far apart and I'd much rather keep a too-old actor than recast him, especially since most of the child actors fit very good and I doubt they'd find a good replacement.

I agree. She's quite attractive and she's way older than the kid in the books.

But so are some of the other actors, especially Natalie Dormer. Natalie Dormer is in her mid 30s playing a person half her age.

Not strictly true, she only just turned 31 in feb. Though, I understand your point and I love Dormer as Marg!

Wait, how old is Margaery in the books? She couldn't be too old since it's best to give away your daughters when they're young and in their prime... that sounded so sexist when I typed it, but its Westeros standard.

Also, did it annoy anyone else that her named was pronouced with a J sound (Marjorie) instead of Mar Gay Ree? For a little bit it did, but I love her characterization in the show so it doesn't bother me anymore.

There's so much higher chance of getting a good actor if you aren't casting a child. D&D lucked out with several child actors but as good as Maisie Williams has been as Arya, she was found very late in the process and apparently no other girl had been close to her. It seems smart to make Missandei older since it's a far smaller role and less work can go into casting her. Nothing of real importance will change either and it will be easier to give her actions made by other characters in the books this way.

All characters have been aged up as well so in terms of the shows normal standards she'd still be about in her mid teens, so the change is also smaller than it might seem at first glance.

Maise is 16, she only looks 12.

I want to see her naked in new episodes, that follow what GRRM wrote in his books. Obviously I can go back and watch her in the bath in season 1. Or I could take a trip to NYC and watch her play, but I want it to stay true to GRRM's vision. I want to see her get naked with Missandei and Hizdar, and Daario. I want to see her in a tokar with one bare breast out. I want to see her as I pictured her while reading. I dislike when actors don't fully commit to the writer's views.

Just nitpicking. It was the Quartheen gown that bared a breast, not the tokar.

I think that the book's scenes between Irri and Dany did serve a purpose in the story and should be included in the show via Dany/Missandei. I also see no difference in portraying gay and straight sex in the media. If one is going to be taboo the other should be held to the same standard and vice versa, otherwise you are pandering to prejudice instead of encouraging acceptance.

I suppose there may be other ways to show that Dany is lonely and missing companionship, but this is how it was written and the show is on HBO. Just my two cents.

Yeah, it was a conscious decision to age them all up. Dany had to be at least 18 obviously, and with most of the kids aging them up a few years is a wise decision as well (George himself said he'd make them older if he were to rewrite the books). They just expanded the aging to all characters.

As for the actors being too old for the supposed age in the show, well in some cases like Bran it might strain belief a bit, but it's not too far apart and I'd much rather keep a too-old actor than recast him, especially since most of the child actors fit very good and I doubt they'd find a good replacement.

it is a little unnerving to see and hear Bran change so much over the course of a few days! Plus his legs dangling from his cart! Ah well he's becoming hot instead of cute.

I think that the book's scenes between Irri and Dany did serve a purpose in the story and should be included in the show via Dany/Missandei. I also see no difference in portraying gay and straight sex in the media. If one is going to be taboo the other should be held to the same standard and vice versa, otherwise you are pandering to prejudice instead of encouraging acceptance.

I suppose there may be other ways to show that Dany is lonely and missing companionship, but this is how it was written and the show is on HBO. Just my two cents.

Are you sure? I remember the tokar as being called floppy ears by Dany and she hated it. I thought it was because of the bare breast.

Also, I agree with your point on keeping the same standard for sex scenes. I'm actually surprised they gave Renly and Loras the ones they did, but compared to every sex scene with Theon, Ros, Drogo, and other whores there was definitely a different direction. Side note, Theon and girl on ship was like the most disgusting sex moment for the series.

I, like OP, also didnt realise when reading through the first time that Mis was meant to be a child. i picked up on it the second read though, and imagined her very well. but im not too bothered, i mean i knew she would be aged up some, as with everyone else. i do also think she will be replacing Irri in said scenes....

our new Missandei actually looks exactly like i imagined her to look in the books, aside from the little bit older part

wow calm down....

im sure we ALL want that ;)

i agree, i feel the scene also served the purpose of showing us that Dany was indeed growing lustrous the way a growing young person does at that age. it also give reason for some later scenes involving a particular person who we as viewer are yet to meet

Archived