Would you ever......

TheRedStag

Well, it's an understanble misconception. We have four languages spoke in South America: Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and French. But the later two are spoken in two very small countries and a "ultramarine territory" (still part of France). So it's mostly Portuguese (spoken in my country, which is 47% of South America) and Spanish (spoken in most of the rest of South America). But both languages are quite different, about as much as English and German, even though both Spanish and Portuguese have derived from Latin.

I'm not really in a position to tell you about what names are common nowadays in Spanish-speaking countries (although I do know a bit about historical ones), but I do know that in Portuguese, there are exactly three ASOIAF names I can think of that sound at least remotely similar to something you'd find in Brazil today:

Johhana (even though it would probably be writen Joana and sound differently than you'd expect).

Jaime (even though it's a very old-fashioned name.)

Samwell (Samuel, also not very common.)

Now, for your viewing pleasure, some common names in ASOIAF "in Portuguese":

Robb / Robert - Roberto

Caetelyn - Catarina

Richard - Ricardo

Eddard/Edward - Eduardo

Aryanne - Ariana (very, very rare)

Daenerys/Danny - Daniela

Stannis - Estanislau (googled that one... it was an old writer or something... possibly the oldest and more rare name on the list)

Petyr/Peter - Pedro

-> All the other main character names have no obvious equivalent. No Theon, no Euron, no Sandor, no Sansa, no Arya, no Cersei, etc. And I'm quite sure it's the same in Spanish-speaking countries for these ones.

Other common Brazilian names:

Males: Marcos, Jorge, Gilberto, Roberto, Luís, Igor, Vitor, Iuri, Rafael, Gabriel, Manoel, Augusto, Tiago, José...

Females: Ana, Carolina, Laura, Maria, Carla, Isabela, Paula, Gisele, Manuela, Taís, Laís, Roberta, Rafaela...

Thank you for the in depth explanation I find almost 95% of those names much lovelier than some of the ludirious ones I know who are already planning their name change at the age of eight (Legally! Not pretending!!!)

But I wouldn't want to be judged as a Welsh.Irish girl giving my baby a South American name, ven though it's common of Ausssie borns' who live in other countries to not be embarrassed of the names they wan't...

I'm superstitious, but don't wanna say my 'dream baby names' for when/if I become a mum lest I jinx, but they're all the opposite of mine own culture! :( I keep getting told my dream names are insulting :(

I actually quite like the name Theon, and don't think it would sound stupid as a name. I really like Eddard, but I think that's because I've always loved the name Ned but couldn't think of it not being associated to Flanders in my head.

I'm curious why do you connect Flanders with Ned?

Thank you for the in depth explanation I find almost 95% of those names much lovelier than some of the ludirious ones I know who are already planning their name change at the age of eight (Legally! Not pretending!!!)

But I wouldn't want to be judged as a Welsh.Irish girl giving my baby a South American name, ven though it's common of Ausssie borns' who live in other countries to not be embarrassed of the names they wan't...

Planning the name change at 8? Tell me more about that?! In Brazil it is very hard to change one's name, unless it's a very silly or insulting name. If it were simple I'd probably have done it. I like "Marcos", but "João" is just too common and meaningless. I've grown very used to it though, as you might expect.

I'

m superstitious, but don't wanna say my 'dream baby names' for when/if I become a mum lest I jinx, but they're all the opposite of mine own culture! :( I keep getting told my dream names are insulting :(

Oh, now I'd like to hear them. You made me curious (you can pvt message them to me... just saying). Promise I won't tell it to the jinx genie. =P

I like a few very "strange", for Brazilian standards, names too. Like Sebastião (one of these old-fashioned names like Samuel or Jaime) or Maira (it means "the smart one").

Never really got the love for the name Arya, it just reminds me of the opera to much (It also reminds me of Bianca Castafiore, which isn't really a good thing).

Never really got the love for the name Arya, it just reminds me of the opera to much (It also reminds me of Bianca Castafiore, which isn't really a good thing).

Why does the name Arya remind you of the opera?

I adore the name Arya and it will be (when I have) my daughter's name for SURE. It is beautiful sounds like a song. Brienne is very pretty as well as Elia. For the men I do like Jaime? Eddard is not so bad I like it. How about Rhaegar? That's pretty cool too. Brandon (as in Brandon Stark)? That's all I got for now.

Elia is my sister's name. Yes, she's been around way longer than the books.

I wonder where GRRM picked it up from?

I'm curious why do you connect Flanders with Ned?

Have you ever watched the cartoon called The Simpsons? Homers neighbor whom he hates is Ned Flanders.

Elia is my sister's name. Yes, she's been around way longer than the books.

I wonder where GRRM picked it up from?

Your sisters name is very pretty, and you know it is interesting to know where GRRM did pick up these names from and obviously some he made up. Maybe someone will ask him one day in an interview, unless they already did and I'm not aware.

Have you ever watched the cartoon called The Simpsons? Homers neighbor whom he hates is Ned Flanders.

Awch, I thought she was talking about the region Flanders (part of Belgium)... My bad :dunno:

Your sisters name is very pretty, and you know it is interesting to know where GRRM did pick up these names from and obviously some he made up. Maybe someone will ask him one day in an interview, unless they already did and I'm not aware.

She actually doesn't like it. She prefers her middle name, which is Eníd. (We gave our daughter that name)

Please tell me you've screamed "ELIA OF DORNE" at least once.

I haven't screamed it out, lol. But when I speak with my brother, who's read the books, I refer to her as Elia of Dorne. Which is perfect, really, since in GRRM's world we most resemble the Salty Dornish. (We're in the States, but originally from Puerto Rico)

Aria has become HUGE recently, not only because of the books/show, but there's another popular show (if more pedantic) featuring a character named Aria. *FYI: Aria is a real name, Italian, that means a solo in a musical performance. I actually really love this name and I fell in love with it whilst reading another fantasy series that featured a lot of musical imagery. However, given its recent surge in popularity, I would never give it to my child; it dates the name too much (i.e. if you met someone born in the 70's named Luke or Leia, it would call to question whether mom and dad were Star Wars fans-- not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but to me it really pigeonholes both you and your child).

I am actually pregnant with my first right now, a boy, and my husband and I have pored over many names, some of which do indeed come from the SoIaF novels. My favorite would be Brandon, since this is also my dad's name. However, it also belongs to my brother and I feel like he kind of has a claim to it over me.

There is so much to consider when naming your baby! You want something unique, but not unheard of (I'm also a teacher and, by god, I am so sick of these pretentious invented names!) but something that means a lot to you, too. In short, I might choose a name from ASoIaF, but if it were something off-the-wall and clearly invented for the sake of fantasy (e.g. Daenerys) then I'd save it for a middle name.

I might consider Jon. It is even on the approved list. However we prioritised "international" names, as mine is a pain abroad. Although it is somewhat amusing that many people thinks I am a great WoT fan ( I like it well enough though)

Jaime (even though it's a very old-fashioned name.)

Stannis - Estanislau (googled that one... it was an old writer or something... possibly the oldest and more rare name on the list)

HIGH-MAY! Its the Spanish name for James. Its rather common in Hispanic areas.

Estanislau? Hmmm... In my state, we has Stanislaus County. (Pronounced "Stannis-Laws" or "Stannis-Lao" depending on who you ask.)

Archived