The most ridiculous moment of the series?

I found that to be quite depressing, actually.

Not that I think that this was THE most ridiculous moment in the series, but I think Shae being in Tywin's bed was largely out of character for Tywin. The guy spent his entire life working tirelessly to solidify the greatness of House Lannister, and I find it hard to believe that he would have been a whoremonger like Tyrion. I do think that he loved Joanna, which is why it makes Shae being in his bed harder to swallow. I don't see the need to make him the ultimate hypocrite-he was bad enough already. No need to go the extra step to demonize him.

There was a little bit of foreshadowing that Tywin may have been a whoremonger before.

Not to mention it adds a lot to the Tywin/Tyrion relationship.

One of the reasons why Tywin despises Tyrion so much is because Tyrion is SO much like him.

Tyrion is Tywin's weaknesses come to life. He's a laughable dwarf with whoring issues and a clever and utterly ruthless politician....

Another thing that bothered me: why were the slavers just standing there and doing nothing when Daenerys was rallying the Unsullied? Idiots.

They were kind of focused on one of the most impressive creatures in the world that had not been seen for centuries. Added to that, it was, until the order to kill them came, really was just a bit of a rousing speech.

There was a little bit of foreshadowing that Tywin may have been a whoremonger before.

One of the reasons why Tywin despises Tyrion so much is because Tyrion is SO much like him.

Tyrion is Tywin's weaknesses come to life. He's a laughable dwarf with whoring issues and a clever and utterly ruthless politician....

Indeed, there was foreshadowing and a strong implication that it was Tywin's dirty little secret, because it would completely kill his reputation and his name. I think that's his problem with Tyrion's behaviour: he was very open about his whoring, while Tywin was probably very private about it (having tunnels built to the brothel house...). We know he had a problem with his father's whore being treated like a lady, when she wasn't such: there is an old saying: "God forgives the sin, not the scandal", I guess Tywin lived with that consign.

The Astapori not building in a fail-safe to prevent the Unsullied from ever turning on them.

Just one of the many examples where Dany's "genius" is actually her opponents just being blindingly stupid.

Actually, this is covered in the text - the reasons are fairly clear.

Whatever rules, failsafes or red-lines they had, they were simply too greedy to follow them. Nobody could buy all of the Unsullied they had, not for anything.

Except ...

They thought they could get a dragon - a dragon. To obtain something so rare and all-powerful, all they had to do was cheat some desperate young girl who knew nothing of the ways of war.

Actually, this is covered in the text - the reasons are fairly clear.

Whatever rules, failsafes or red-lines they had, they were simply too greedy to follow them. Nobody could buy all of the Unsullied they had, not for anything.

Except ...

They thought they could get a dragon - a dragon. To obtain something so rare and all-powerful, all they had to do was cheat some desperate young girl who knew nothing of the ways of war.

Actually I don't see any evidence of fail-safes. Not allowing anyone to buy all the Unsullied isn't exactly a "fail-safe," not how I think of one anyway. A "fail-safe" is something like the rules of "I, Robot." "Do everything your master says, unless it causes you to go against Astapor." That sort of thing. I don't deny that they were greedy, but this is the kind of thing that basic common sense says they should instill in the Unsullied no matter how many they sell or to whom they sell them.

Like I said, much of Dany's success in Slaver's Bay — until she runs up against the Green Grace, that is — relies on her idiotic opponents more than any genuine merit of her own. That also covers the fighters on stilts and chained together, by the way. Just one parade of implausible incompetence after another. When she finds an opponent with half a brain in her head, Dany actually gets bogged down pretty easily.

Actually I don't see any evidence of fail-safes. Not allowing anyone to buy all the Unsullied isn't exactly a "fail-safe," not how I think of one anyway. A "fail-safe" is something like the rules of "I, Robot." "Do everything your master says, unless it causes you to go against Astapor." That sort of thing. I don't deny that they were greedy, but this is the kind of thing that basic common sense says they should instill in the Unsullied no matter how many they sell or to whom they sell them.

Like I said, much of Dany's success in Slaver's Bay — until she runs up against the Green Grace, that is — relies on her idiotic opponents more than any genuine merit of her own. That also covers the fighters on stilts and chained together, by the way. Just one parade of implausible incompetence after another. When she finds an opponent with half a brain in her head, Dany actually gets bogged down pretty easily.

Barristan will win the Meereen battle way easier without her around with her "Dracarys stupidity" and burning everything friends and foes

Indeed, there was foreshadowing and a strong implication that it was Tywin's dirty little secret, because it would completely kill his reputation and his name. I think that's his problem with Tyrion's behaviour: he was very open about his whoring, while Tywin was probably very private about it (having tunnels built to the brothel house...). We know he had a problem with his father's whore being treated like a lady, when she wasn't such: there is an old saying: "God forgives the sin, not the scandal", I guess Tywin lived with that consign.

I agree, varys says to Tyrion "The tunnel was dug for another King's Hand, whose honor would not allow him to enter such a house openly. Chataya has closely guarded the secret of its existence." So many men whore n father bastards openly why did he care so much that Tyrion did the same I thought at first it was because of tywin's father but after Tyrion found shae in his bed I thought maybe tywin has his father's weakness same as tyrion and punishing whores is his way of blaming them for his own weakness and he just hated that his dwarf son had more courage to say "yeah I f#@k whores so what"

Myrish F*cking Swamp. Shudder inducing.

Sadly, it was topped by Cersei's hilarious inner monologue about devouring Robert's heirs:

Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace, she thought, slipping a third finger into Myr. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all those pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs.

It's up there with the Pink Letter in the "things so psychotic they're hilarious" list.

Yeahhh Myrish swamp and fat pink mast made me go celibate for a year.

If it's a swamp, does it... does it mean it's hairy? UGNHJFGH.

Sadly, it was topped by Cersei's hilarious inner monologue about devouring Robert's heirs:

Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace, she thought, slipping a third finger into Myr. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all those pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs.

It's up there with the Pink Letter in the "things so psychotic they're hilarious" list.

Oh my God, lmfao I forgot about that.

:agree:

This is one of the main reasons I just skim Dany's chapters and don't particularly care for them. Simply, while she has an overwhelming potential to being interesting as an individual she suffers by being the sole POV who has all of her opponents being made up of a multitude of Joffrey and Gregors. Thus, it is always obvious who is going to win and who we are meant to root for during the conflict.

In contrast, in Westeros the Lannisters at least have Tyrion, Tywin, and Kevan who all seem like they could competently wage a war and win thus allowing some fans to actually side with them.

Asha and friends fighting 73 billion Northerners popping out from the woods- and surviving!

'Dany'... Everything since the end of AGOT

Tyrion surviving any battle, plus his incredible luck. In the end, we all know he will end up being one of the Dragon Riders

:agree:

This is one of the main reasons I just skim Dany's chapters and don't particularly care for them. Simply, while she has an overwhelming potential to being interesting as an individual she suffers by being the sole POV whose where all her opponents are made up of a multitude of Joffrey and Gregors. Thus, it is always obvious who is going to win and who we are meant to root for during the conflict.

In contrast, in Westeros the Lannisters at least have Tyrion, Tywin, and Kevan who all seem like they could competently wage a war and win thus allowing some fans to actually side with them.

I've actually argued before that GRRM is pulling a grand one over on us by using over-the-top comic book villains to "trick" us into thinking Dany's hero material, when if you dropped her in Westeros with actual three-dimensional people her (many) shortcomings would be glaringly obvious. There's also the matter of her own POV being the only one we have of her in person, another red flag. It's all a sleight of hand based on context and perspective. Pretty ingenious really.

But I digress.

Tywin has no problem with Tyrion's whoring - it's the way he does it that's the problem. For 25 years since Joanna's death no has even suspected that Tywin visited whores - he did not bring them to court, he did not marry them, he did not treaten Tommen for them, and he did not spend his time with them while he had to rule.

I've actually argued before that GRRM is pulling a grand one over on us by using over-the-top comic book villains to "trick" us into thinking Dany's hero material, when if you dropped her in Westeros with actual three-dimensional people her (many) shortcomings would be glaringly obvious. There's also the matter of her own POV being the only one we have of her in person, another red flag. It's all a sleight of hand based on context and perspective. Pretty ingenious really.

But I digress.

I hope you are correct, as I actually think her story would be more interesting if she turned out as mad as her father thus making her fire as dangerous as the Other's ice.

Through, part of me also want Jon to become the Night King leading the Others and Tyrion to become a mini Tywin. Thus, granting us a situation where all three of the "main" protagonists that we were always meant to sympathize with end up becoming leading antagonists of destruction and doom.

Archived