Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

Eh, it's good, but I found the entire overall narrative kind of meh, honestly. The pseudo-"The Fugitive" bits where Tenma was just faffing around Europe were often great, but the mystery never came close to a satisfactory solution. (which was probably inevitable, given the buildup)

I have to say I really liked Planet of the Beast King. Its a damn shame that the anime has only 11 episodes. Yeah the Viking symbolism was a little heavy handed but other then that I had a fine time.

Three things I really liked

1. This is an anime that actually deals with conditions on an alien planet, I've seen more then my share of anime that takes place on Space Ships or Space Stations but I can't recall any anime that I have ever watched that had a really cool John Carter of Mars thing happening. There is one that is supposly based on a Flash Gordon theme which I am going to check out in a few weeks.

2. Will someone familar with Japanese culture explian to me what the deal is with the brothers who have to journey to X to find Y goal? I'm not talking about this in the general way that all stories need a plot I mean specifically 2 brothers or sisters thrown on their own resources. I thought it would be the usual story where the one smart brother would always be saving the stupid one but the plot took care of that one fairly quick and I guess it played into the only the strongest survive mentality of the serise.

3. They didn't have much time but they handled the time jump very well but predictibly while the main charecter aged from 12 to 16 and looked more like someone who was thrity while his love interest who was 13 when the main charecter arrived on the planet looked...exactly the same. Fuck every time with this anime.

Bonus thing that made me laugh the head of the various clans on the planet are refered to as "top" I supposed because I'm "on top" and everyone else is on the bottom. Well this is something of a double entendre meaning that whoever did the audio work on the DVD has a very deranged sense of humor which I can respect. I'm sure a more acurate translation would be "cheif" or "boss"

• 1 month later...

The new season will be underway soon and I haven't even watched most of what I started from last season. I only kept up with three of the lot, two of which continued from the previous season: Samurai Flamenco, Yowamushi Pedal, and The Pilot's Love Song. Looking at the series set to premiere over the next howeverlong, there is really only one or two that interest me at all. Knights of Sidonia and Brynhildr in the Darkness both look promising based on the previews, but that might not hold up. Maybe it is a good thing there isn't much there for me this time around... it might give me time to catch up with everything else.

I know it is probably old news to you more established guys but I've spent the last week watching "Fantastic Children" sort of similar to Baccano in that the story is not told in a strict A to B format. I like it simply because it deals with the issue of reincarnation which doesn't often pop up in Anime.

• 1 month later...

Just watched Infinite Ryvius, and wow. I enjoyed way more than I thought I would after watching the first few episodes. Like, damn. Something about it just appealed to me. Can't put my finger on it.

everyone should watch "Naoki Urasawa's Monster

Monster is my brothers favorite manga/anime, and way up on the list for me. Great story telling, and no magic stuff to break realism.

Attack On Titan is also good, but I have been reading the manga, and I just want the second season for the anime because it's hard to tell the characters apart or really decipher the action scenes for the manga when everything is black and white. It also has gone a different direction than I thought. But that's all I will say without spoiler tags.

EDit: I'll check out Fantastic Children sometime, anyone got any suggestions? I have a friend that keeps telling me to watch Future Diaries. I told him I would watch it if he would give one of my suggestions a chance for once.

Just watched Infinite Ryvius, and wow. I enjoyed way more than I thought I would after watching the first few episodes. Like, damn. Something about it just appealed to me. Can't put my finger on it.

I absolutely love it too. Don't understand why it is looked down upon.

Been tellin' people it was awesome forever, yo.

I absolutely love it too. Don't understand why it is looked down upon.

It is? To me it doesen't seem to be looked down on as much as "unknown", only a few people having seen it, but those who have seem generally positive.

The one complaint I've heard is that people don't like the character designs. (same guy did the designs for Gundam Seed, IIRC)

It is? To me it doesen't seem to be looked down on as much as "unknown", only a few people having seen it, but those who have seem generally positive.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

The problem here is that the few who've seen it don't seem to make enough noise for it.

Not as much as it deserves, I think.

It's just completely ignored.

Just finished Fantastic Children and I give it two thumbs up. '

The first like 10 episodes were super confusing but after that everything got put together and it still remained really interesting.

I was hoping for Tina and Sess to both die in the zone but since they both lived it still had a bittersweet ending. I wish they would have showed the four remaining scientists all grown up being buddies to take some of the bitter out and make it a true happy ending since both Tina and Tonma chose to live, so it was already fairly happy on that front.

I fully enjoyed it when things started making sense, but before that it kept me watching because the Children of Berfort was just a cool premise and I wanted to see it played out.

Gonna start Future Diaries next.

There is coming a Fate/Stay Night remake by Ufotable this year. Are anyone else hyped just as much as I?

Eh, not really. It loses a lot of what made it interesting in anime format I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I love anime, but I never really know what to watch until the series is over. I just finished Fate/Zero, and then found out that it's a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, which I've never seen, so I started watching that. I like seeing how everyone turned out, but I kind of wish I watched it how it was supposed to be watched.

Also, there's a Sailor Moon remake coming out.

I finished Hitsugi no Chaika earlier this evening. The first couple of episodes were something of a pain to get through because I couldn't stand how Chaika spoke, but I liked enough of what I saw to power through my annoyance. I'm happy that I did because it turned out to be a fairly good series. The ending kind of sucked because it provided few answers and created more questions, but at least there is a second series this fall.

Finished Bakemonogatari yesterday. I didn't really like the style at first, but it grew on me. I love it now. I am now watching Gokukoku no Bryndhildr, which seems to be worse and worse as the episodes pass by.

Archived