Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

So a bit late to the party. I started watching Shin Sekai Yori a few months ago after searching for some anime with queer characters, only to get sidetracked by Attack on Titan and then not watching any anime for a while.

I felt I needed to lose myself after a really shitty weekend (visited dying Mum and had it confirmed she is dying, came home to a run over dead kitten left in the gutter) so put it back on last night not really remembering the tone of it...I was up to ep 12 and I watched through to about 22 before sleeping. It was not fluffy escapist anime >_< the anguish in it was really resonating last night, I can't tell if feeling that instead of my own pain was good or bad though! Really enjoying it though, although I can't say I'm a fan of Yakomaru, I had a bad feeling about him from the first moment we meet him.

On the manga front One Piece continues to entertain, with the climax at Dressrosa looking to pay off..what...a decade of build up? Bleach continues to be meh, and at times offensive, but I read it before One Piece as it makes OP even better by comparison. After burning through the anime I've also picked up Attack on Titan for manga now, and while it's release schedule is awfully frustrating, it has a lot of content in every chapter as the trade off. Definitely enjoying the hell out of that.

I'm on episode 40 of FMA: Brotherhood, which is a pretty breakneck pace for me. I'm liking it a lot, although some of the series' long running quirks irk me more and more; like Ed never just explaining himself, and instead of always just going "wait, stop, listen to me." in some fashion. For instance, when they first go up to Briggs and that guy with the chainsaw confronts them, I was deeply frustrated that the first thing Ed said wasn't "I'm a state alchemist, stop it right now." Also, he rarely seems to use his power to its full potential. But its still an entertaining yarn.

What frustrates me a lot more is that I just discovered that there's a total of 64 episodes, but Netflix streaming only has the first 52 episodes. I'm not going to pay extra to get the DVDs, so if that's not a legal, free way to watch the final episodes (presumably with ads), I guess I"m going to have to greatly slow down my watching speed, and hope that the last ones show up by the time I'm done (While finding this out, I also found out that Netflix streaming originally only had the first 39 episodes, so they have expanded it in the past).

Deathnote was excellent until... not gonna ruin it for anyone

Anyway I loved the intellect battle between L and Light, also I adore L because he loves cake and is a bit weird, just like I am :wub:

Haven't watched much anime in a while, I read Bleach manga regularly (it's getting really really shit) and the last anime I watched was a while ago, called Hanasaku Iroha. A lovely little slice of life about a girl who's mother moves away with her boyfriend and she is sent to live in a hot spring inn run by her grandmother.

Attack on Titan is excellent, the soundtrack is excellent. Not read the manga but I think it has some way to go before the anime gets a season 2? Correct me if I'm wrong??

I've seen FMA but not brotherhood, everyone says brotherhood is much better

So, anime suggestions? Hard to say what I'm into really, just maybe not sci-fi or giant robots or w.e it puts me off, lol

I hear Star Driver is amazing, a friend of mine watched it and rated it 10 (he's watched plenty of anime and only ever rated like 3 of them 10 so it must be pretty great) would that be a good choice?

Yes.

unnecessary death in my opinion, ruined the show for me, and Near(?)/mellor just sucked big time. It wasn't the same without L, Light's only worthy competitor was gone.

Agreed. Also, the show became darker for no real reason (Yeah L died, but when Ray Penber died it was still light-hearted on occasion, no pun intended), all the humorous parts were gone. When Light's sister went catatonic I was ready to vomit.

So I guess I am what you would call an anime noob. I've seen Avatar, Cowboy Bebop, some Ghibli movies and both Ghost in the Shell. I am thinking of getting more into it but I'm not sure I should. I absolutely love Cowboy Bebop, it's one of the best shows I've watched, but when i look online, some people seem to say Cowboy Bebop already is the best of anime. And it's very western inspired so I don't know how anime like it is. I generally tend to go for the gritty dark series, and japanese over the top silliness annoys me.

So are there any other animes you really should see? I've gooten Serial Experiments Lain as a tips, adn that one seemed interesting. I really liked the first GitS movie too. So are there more shows like Cowboy Bebop but original enough in their own way. I don't know if I should go deeper into anime or if maybe my peak has been reached with Bebop. I've heard mentions of Death Note too and it seems pretty interesting.

• 5 months later...

recently finished Death Parade and Parasyte.

death parade was ok i guess. nothing special.

parasyte... i remember thouroughly enyjoing the manga back in 2008 so as far as i can remember, the anime didn't live up to it. the story had potencial but they've wasted way too much time on the romance plot and not nearly enough on the phylosofical questions that the series made the viewers/readers ask.

So I was watching Arslan Senki, and I had to come here and encourage everyone to watch it, because it's fucking terrific.

Like the messiah we were all waiting for.

Interesting, I will check that out.

• 3 months later...

Archived