Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

I'm definitely enjoying Valvre a lot more than Guilty Crown which was closer to Geass in having a serious core around which it built all the ridiculousness. And this core was pretty lacklustre. Valvre is made out of 100% crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been loving Valverave, galactic majestic princes, and gargantia so much.

Valverave is over the top, flashy, and so satisfying in a style over substance way. Latest ep I saw seems to be making it a bit more serious but that just may be the crux for them needing to make more pilots just to save lives.

Gargantia is a good take on fish out of water and I love how it doesn't just outright make the humans on earth to be Japanese. Both space and earth humans have their own created cultures instead of just transposing current to future.

Majestic princes? Enjoying the tribute.

Yeah, all the mecha-series are fun.

I'm kind of having a hard time getting the big deal about Titan though. I mean, it's well done and such, the giants angle is a bit novel, but I don't get the fuzz?

Going by the source material AoT clearly has a fairly well thought out plot with most of the later reveals being completely obvious in hindsight, yet not so blatant that many people caught on while the developments were ongoing.

Attack on Titan made me watch anime again for the first time in years. I read the Manga but the animation of their manouver-gear is just brilliant, makes me wish I could fly :)

It's decent but I don't get the hype. Stuff like code Geass, death note or fmab is waay better. Hell even stein's gate was a vastly superior show. Or maybe I've been watching too much zombie stuff lately..

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the latest Berserk movie. Good as always, but still waiting for it to start adapting manga material past the previous adaption. Guts is one of my favorite rage-filled, ultra-violent heroes. If only Rickon were aged up to an adult, so we could have some equivalent in ASoIaF.

Hataraku Maou-sama is done for this season. Hopefully it gets a second, I enjoyed it.

Gargantia is fun to watch, although it's heading towards a predictable ending IMHO. I like how they actually played with the language barrier issue, using POV as the cue for what language we're hearing translated into subtitled Japanese. As mentioned above, it's a great fish out of water story.

I watched most of the first episode of Attack on Titan, and just didn't care. Didn't interest me for some reason.

Honestly? No idea. It seemed really lacklustre, and all of the 1st eps haven't aired yet, so I can't even give first impressions.

Servants X Service (workplace comedy about public servants) was fairly funny, but you might have had to work a low-level government job to find it funny?

Majestic Princes is continuing I guess (I'm weirdly liking it, it somehow seems to be better than the sum of it's parts) but other than that it mostly seems to be five different flavours of moeshit. (including a reverse harem with WAYYYY too many characters)

I just watched GITS: Arise.

So it's definitely non canon it seems... I thought it was a prequel.

But it's good.

Didn't realise it was out. Will have to find it. I think the blurb for it was fairly clear it's another re-imagining. Then again each film was pretty much a different take, SAC was its own beast and the original manga is different too. Japan has no problem with this approach and I don't entirely blame them if it allows them to tell a good story. Although thinking about it, it is no different from Marvel comic characters. The X-men have 2 different continuity comics, several western cartoon incarnations, a manga series, a live action film and an anime series. So maybe there isn't a big difference afterall?

Then again each film was pretty much a different take,

Well, not really. GITS 2 is a sequel to the first GITS film. And the SAC film is a sequel to the SAC series.

And the first GITS film is kind of a loose adaptation of the manga (without all the "erotism").

This thread should double as a manga/manghwa thread.

What series are people reading?

Right now I currently am:

Shingeki no Kyojin

Fairy Tail

Naruto

Bleach

One Piece

Berserk

Shokugeki no Souma

Akemi ga Kill

Claymore

One Punch Man

Assassination Classroom

Beelzebub

Toriko

The World God only Knows

And a dozen or so nearly no name series.

and a dozen or so moderately unknown series.

Well, not really. GITS 2 is a sequel to the first GITS film. And the SAC film is a sequel to the SAC series.

And the first GITS film is kind of a loose adaptation of the manga (without all the "erotism").

Really? I always felt they were all pseudo sequels at best. Although I agree that everything with the SAC brand was in continuity with itself.

The only thing that looked good to me, so far, is Turning Girls. It's got a Tatami Galaxy vibe with a dash of Josei, somehow.

Other than that, heh, I suppose Railgun and MJP are still going strong, unexpectedly.

Speaking of going strong, I managed to have enough time to watch Paranoia Agent at long last, and wow, it is awesome. Even though I now see Paprika was not that original in Satoshi Kon's body of work (same themes, same characters, same stories...)

This thread should double as a manga/manghwa thread.

I am pretty sure this is actually covered in a few threads in the literature subforum.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... Free! is pretty funny. (some of the commentary from the director is hilarious too. "The themes of this anime is friendship, sports and UPPER BODIES. Character development is important too." also "Upper bodies are filled with dreams."

I mean, yeah, it's a blatant manservice show that pretends it's a sport anime, but it's at least reasonably well done.

Archived