Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

Gangsta is a welcomed shift from the usual teenagers bullshit. F***ing adult characters for once.

But it doesn't seem that great of a story. We'll give it time.

The animation and character design is great though.

Arslan suffers from serious animation problems sometimes. It's a mystery: in the same episode, you get horrendous animation, a 5 minutes intern work, and then sometimes later a greatly animated scene. How they handle their budget is impenetrable.

And given their amazing epic last episode, I think they just went through all their remaining budget for the rest of the season...

I can't for the sake of me understand how could one find it boring though. It's like the closest thing to GoT in anime.

Oh, and Durarara! is always a great and fun watch.

So I guess I am what you would call an anime noob. I've seen Avatar, Cowboy Bebop, some Ghibli movies and both Ghost in the Shell. I am thinking of getting more into it but I'm not sure I should. I absolutely love Cowboy Bebop, it's one of the best shows I've watched, but when i look online, some people seem to say Cowboy Bebop already is the best of anime. And it's very western inspired so I don't know how anime like it is. I generally tend to go for the gritty dark series, and japanese over the top silliness annoys me.

So are there any other animes you really should see? I've gooten Serial Experiments Lain as a tips, adn that one seemed interesting. I really liked the first GitS movie too. So are there more shows like Cowboy Bebop but original enough in their own way. I don't know if I should go deeper into anime or if maybe my peak has been reached with Bebop. I've heard mentions of Death Note too and it seems pretty interesting.

As it's been suggested, try Samurai Champloo! Amazing OST, awesome characters, and full of crazy anachronisms.

Stay away from Lain unless you like weird stuff. I still don't know what is it about.

If you want something not so western, try Rurouni Kenshin. Just a classic.

And don't say you've reached your peak when you haven't try at least the classics!! There are a lot of stuff out there, for every taste. It's a pretty big industry, keep searching.

I can't for the sake of me understand how could one find it boring though. It's like the closest thing to GoT in anime.

The pace is ridiculously slow, there are way too many episodes where very little of actual importance happens

The story is supposed to be about Arslan, but 14 episodes in (after this I gave up) he has yet to do bugger all, but stand around looking weak and confused. I get that he is young and no warrior, but at least give commands or something.

And the closest thing to GOT in Anime? Im sorry, but May I please direct you here?

I always avoided anime, not because I have anything against it, but because it seemed a very daunting thing to get into (seriously, from a noob perspective: where on Earth do you start?!). 

In the past, the only anime series I'd watched was Death Note and Sword Art Online (and I loved both of them [up until a certain point]), then after a recent conversation and recommendation I watched Akame ga Kill!, which I finished last night. 

I'm a pretty picky series/film watcher (I know what I like, and it doesn't include much), but 

Akame ga Kill! now has a spot of one of my favourite things, ever. The characters were well thought out, the story was compelling and it was (in my opinion) exactly the right combination of humour, blood and tears. 

I'll probably start on Fullmetal Alchemist after work tonight, and see where things lead me from there. 

And the closest thing to GOT in Anime? Im sorry, but May I please direct you here?

Oh, don't worry. I watched it lol.

Yes, it's the closest thing to ASoIaF.

But Arslan is Fantasy, so you could argue even more, although this shonen adaptation seems very different in tone yes.

AND it's based off the books by the same writer, Tanaka. It's basically LoGH in Fantasy. The anime is different because it's an adaptation of a shonen manga adaptation (yeah, it becomes ridiculous at this point... next, we'll get the novel adaptation of the anime adaptation of the manga adaptation of the original novel).

And I don't see how it's slower than LOGH at all.

Actually, the anime is quite rushed in some points and doesn't deal sufficiently with the aftermath of some important things I think.

But yes, I'm a huge fan of LoGH, and that's why I welcome Arslan as a messiah.

You know, it's actually very funny that you say this to me, because I was the one constantly vouching for LoGH as the closest thing to ASoIaF on TV on these forums. To the point where people were just pissed off. I even had some crude and weird comments about how bad it is from people who claimed they tried it.

To read you now made me chuckle.

Oh, don't worry. I watched it lol.

Yes, it's the closest thing to ASoIaF.

But Arslan is Fantasy, so you could argue even more, although this shonen adaptation seems very different in tone yes.

AND it's based off the books by the same writer, Tanaka. It's basically LoGH in Fantasy. The anime is different because it's an adaptation of a shonen manga adaptation (yeah, it becomes ridiculous at this point... next, we'll get the novel adaptation of the anime adaptation of the manga adaptation of the original novel).

And I don't see how it's slower than LOGH at all.

Actually, the anime is quite rushed in some points and doesn't deal sufficiently with the aftermath of some important things I think.

But yes, I'm a huge fan of LoGH, and that's why I welcome Arslan as a messiah.

I wasnt saying Arslan was slower than LOGH, just that LOGH was a lot better and closer to ASOIAF in terms of things like political intrigue, the mechanics of warfare and pointing out how grey morality can be (and as a result, it being slow made a ton of sense).

Arslan the anime has....princes and courts (and Daryun cutting down 8 mounted guys, on foot, in a flash). Now I was arguing that the current anime was boring, maybe the manga and the original story are great, I dunno.

I don't see the point with princes and courts. Surely, ASoIaF has them too, and every fantasy or medieval setting does.

I give you the Daryun thing. It's a shounen, so...

The politics are quite an important thing in Arslan, though. And it keeps getting more interesting.

Same about warfare. Narsus is nothing if not a Fantasy counterpart of Yang Wenli.

And there are no real good and bad sides.

[spoiler]The antagonist (Hermes) has the legitimate claim and is a badass.

Same for the current arc in "India". Arslan and his crew are the invaders. They do it for political reasons, but doesn't mean they're bad guys. It's certainly as grey as it can get.[/spoiler]

I don't see the point with princes and courts. Surely, ASoIaF has them too, and every fantasy or medieval setting does. That was my point, it's basically the only thing ASOIAF and Arslan have in common

I give you the Daryun thing. It's a shounen, so... I think that's one of it's bigger issues, it keeps trying to be both a shounen and poltiical drama and as a result it doesnt really dominate in either category

The politics are quite an important thing in Arslan, though. And it keeps getting more interesting.

Same about warfare. Narsus is nothing if not a Fantasy counterpart of Yang Wenli. Sure if you strip away all the complexities of what he does

And there are no real good and bad sides. The Anime is very clearly giving Arslan and his boys the moral high ground, while putting down Silvermask as an entitled, petty asshole of a king.

[spoiler]The antagonist (Hermes) has the legitimate claim and is a badass.

Same for the current arc in "India". Arslan and his crew are the invaders. They do it for political reasons, but doesn't mean they're bad guys. It's certainly as grey as it can get.[/spoiler]

I think you should maybe watch the OVAs, which were a direct adaptation of the books.

It's clearly the shounen part that irks you. So, maybe you'll like them better?

Mixing shounen and political drama goes well with me personally. I consider FMA to be a masterpiece, and it's basically that.

Arslan is certainly not as well executed as FMA, but I love the story.

I think you should maybe watch the OVAs, which were a direct adaptation of the books.

It's clearly the shounen part that irks you. So, maybe you'll like them better?

Mixing shounen and political drama goes well with me personally. I consider FMA to be a masterpiece, and it's basically that.

Arslan is certainly not as well executed as FMA, but I love the story.

That's the problem, right there :lol:

I agree that they can be mixed, but it aint easy to do.

Oh, don't worry, I am well aware that the animation and directing are sometimes horrid. I'm the first to point that out :P

But somehow, it doesn't really distract me from the story. It's that good.

It's more the directing for me, I have no problems with the animation (well besides the Daryun scene, that was fucking WEIRD). Arslan has great qualities, but it's like comparing two teams with equal talent, the one with the better execution will win and because of what you told me, im gonna check out that OVA.

• 5 months later...

Hmm, I know for a fact we had discussions about the Fall anime season.

Was that another thread or did the forum changerino lose all those posts?

Anyway, Winter is coming and Gundam Thunderbolt is AMAZING.  Beautiful animation.  Google it, its episodes are being published online for free with translation.   It makes IBO seriously look like a piece of shit in terms of animation quality.   Edit: Apparently its episodes are coming out once every few months T_T.  No wonder it looks so good.

Archived