[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

All due respect, my friend, that's... book nerd. There's simply no room in the show to nitpick the exact guidelines re Targaryen Dragon vs Targaryen non-Dragon, based on fire-retardance as a one-time or over-all ability. That's too.. bookish. The show has established that Dany IS a true Targaryen Dragon and that Viserys was not. Truly, that's all the show needed to do. The clinical details are.. bookish. They fill page time in the books, but have no revelency in a fast-moving TV series. My 2 cents, anyway.

Well it does imply that Targs are somehow more than human, superior to everyone else in some way. And being the anti-Targ I am I don't like the idea of that notion catching on. The Targs (Valyrians in general) were only powerful because they had WMD. Once they lost their WMD they were no better or worse than anyone else, and the Doom of Valyria implies they were rather irresponsible with their WMD to boot. So it's less bookish than just being biased against any notion that Valyrians are a notch above the rest of humanity.

SPITEFULNESS? She's a 12 year old girl being forced to marry one of her enemies. She acted with dignity and self-respect.

I personally wonder how much the show is going to play up TYRION'S spitefulness and greed in marrying a harmless child who has witnessed her father's execution.

Yes, it was spitefulness. Justly deserved spitefulness, from her point of view (to her he is still Tyrion LANNISTER, the uncle of the boy terd who killed her father), but spitefulness nonetheless. She doesn't get to see much of the awesomeness that we see of Tyrion, so it's understandable.

I don't think Tyrion had much choice in the matter (thanks to Papa Lannister). He was very kind to her in the books, not spiteful or greedy. I imagine the show will play out similarly.

Well it does imply that Targs are somehow more than human, superior to everyone else in some way. And being the anti-Targ I am I don't like the idea of that notion catching on. The Targs (Valyrians in general) were only powerful because they had WMD. Once they lost their WMD they were no better or worse than anyone else, and the Doom of Valyria implies they were rather irresponsible with their WMD to boot. So it's less bookish than just being biased against any notion that Valyrians are a notch above the rest of humanity.

Also, the TWoPers are hung up on the fireproof thing too. Because Shae lasted longer during the candle/hot wax deal, there was speculation she was a Targ. Or that Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire and died, proves he wasn't a "Dragon." They seem to think it's some inherent quality that proves one is a true Dragon. They also tie it to the madness, i.e. any Targ who is not fireproof goes mad, or something like that.

ETA: Re this thread length, I'm going to convo the Mods (as soon as they turn the convo function back on) to close this one, and we'll re-open as a new thread. Anti-Targ, why don't you do the honors this time? I opened the first thread, way back when, and then the second after we got shut down because idiots kept coming in here bitching about alleged bookwalkers at TWoP. Independent George opened this third edition, so its only fair that another old-guard open #4. Same title, same warnings in the OP, just version #4.

Also re this thread, just an observation--it took two plus seasons to run thru two versions. Now, with this version, its taken A COUPLE WEEKS to overtop the 400 posts limit. We're like the Lord Varys of the Westeros threads, influence growing like a weed, nearly unnoticed at first, then suddenly blossoming all over the place.

Or we could just keep it going to 344 pages and 5152 posts, like our friends the Unsullied.

Why do they have such a long thread? Seems like they could at least start a new one each season.

Or we could just keep it going to 344 pages and 5152 posts, like our friends the Unsullied.

Why do they have such a long thread? Seems like they could at least start a new one each season.

Can we get to 500 posts before the plug gets pulled. Potentially one of the longest threads in ASOIAF history?

Also, the TWoPers are hung up on the fireproof thing too. Because Shae lasted longer during the candle/hot wax deal, there was speculation she was a Targ. Or that Aerion Brightflame drank wildfire and died, proves he wasn't a "Dragon." They seem to think it's some inherent quality that proves one is a true Dragon. They also tie it to the madness, i.e. any Targ who is not fireproof goes mad, or something like that.

Yes, and all that too. Strange and incongruous ideas about fire resistance and Targyness. They drank wildfire (among other things) because they were mad and delusional and drank the "Targs are a special race of beings" koolaid. They didn't go mad because they lacked a +5 fire resistance gene.

I actually just came here to ask about that -- it bothers me that they think there's an inherent property some Targaryens have that makes them "Dragons", and I was wondering where this idea came from. Is it actually suggested by the show more so than in the books? (I haven't watched the first two seasons.)

Its a fairly logical thought coming from the small sample size they had.

Viserys = not a dragon and not fire proof = candle wax, golden crown.

Dany = is a dragon and is fireproof repeatedly = scalding baths, holding the heated egg, and surviving the pyre.

Also, since Targaeryens, when stayig in the family, marry between brothers and sisters, that means Danny's mom and Rhaegar's wife were non-Targs. I read upthread that Targ marry Baratheons so it would mean Tywin killed a Baratheon cousin/sister and was not punished but got

Cersei married? Or they may have been Tullys so Tully would hold grudge against Lannisters, hence allying with Renly at first. Which would lead to a backstab from Tullys after the mariage. Hence Olenna in KL "for my sister/daughter/niece".

With this speculation (it's not accurate but goes to the questions), mixed with the discussions they had two weeks ago about Targ marriages and where is Dorne and why they hate the Lannisters, I can´t wait for them to put all toghether. I hope they do it befrore the show... but like the "who were the kids and who killed them?" speculation they had very good ideas that the show sort of confirmed last episode (they don't know still if they where Rhaegar's kids or other siblings)

I love to see they have all the elements and some parts put together...like a giant puzzle.

Hello! new to observing the Unsullied. To be honest I feel lazy to read everything they've said, so I would like to know what are their thoughts about Sansa's marriage? Is any suspicion that she will be married to Tyrion instead? How do you guys think they will take the marriage since tyrion has been too whitewashed IMO?

Archived