[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

And they really need to make it look like Arya gets killed too, just to troll them even harder.

This needs to happen, they can't cut that out. Even though I've decried the overuse of faux deaths, this is one faux death I think should be kept in.

I don't think it will work - the laws of Hollywood physiology work against them. By now, they've had decades of one-shot knockouts that I suspect will make it patently obvious that the Hound knocked her unconscious. Even in reading the books, once I took a moment to catch my breath, I immediately suspected that he hit her with the flat of the ax (same as I figured out Yoren was cutting her hair), because it made no sense for either of them to kill her.

I don't see any way to choreograph it in such a way that it's believable that she's dead.

I don't think it will work - the laws of Hollywood physiology work against them. By now, they've had two decades of one-shot knockouts that I suspect will make it patently obvious that the Hound knocked her unconscious. Even in reading the books, once I took a moment to catch my breath, I immediately suspected that he hit her with the flat of the ax (same as I figured out Yoren was cutting her hair), because it made no sense for either of them to kill her.

I don't see any way to choreograph it in such a way that it's believable that she's dead.

First I will say that I am in the camp that thinks they definitely need to make it look like Arya is killed. I also think they should end her season story there, and not reveal that she is still alive in the final episode, but wait till the fourth season. But I digress.

As far as how they can choreograph it to make it believable, to me that's simple. Just show Arya and Sandor getting split up as the slaughter starts in the camp, show Arya doing something which attracts the attention of some Frey men (for example maybe have Arya be the one to release Grey Wind). Then just show her running around tents and/or trees trying to evade them, close up shots of Arya while giving the impression that Freys are literally surrounding her, only to take an axe or club to the head wielded by an unseen attacker. No need to show that Sandor was the one to club her.

That said I agree that the long history of Hollywood knockouts may have jaded viewers to that possibility.

Good idea - that could work, and I agree that's a good way to end the season (though I'm in the camp that thinks Tyrion's arrest for Joffrey's murder is the best note to end the season on).

I will note that meta-knowledge is spoiling them again - they recognized Iwan Rheon, and know that means he can't be a bit player.

On the show, however, they have a full 7 days to think about everything, and Robb is clearly being set up for a fall (he's the only Stark in any position of power). They also know that episode 9 is the narrative climax of the season, so they instinctively try guess the pacing based on what just transpired in the most recent episode. I think they're ready for Robb's death, but will be shocked at Cat's (especially if it's shown graphically as described in the book), and I suspect Talisa will be killed, too.

Great points. Additionally they also have the benefit of a group of really observant people hashing over things in detail after every episode. It's like they're doing a group read (not re-read) and taking a week for like 10-15 chapter chunks of the books.

(Remembering Thoros)

Wow! That is amazing, how well they remember everything from two seasons ago, even a random name, mentioned only once in a conversation.

Well, it's not just a random name, it's random name of a guy with a flaming sword. It's that kind of little detail that helps you remember something. Not trying to downplay the recall as it is truly impressive and there's no way >I< would remember that two seasons later... but the show did a nice job of putting a little narrative underline there.

Is anyone else experiencing problems accessing TWoP? This morning, I was getting an 'over capacity' message, and now this! Anybody know what this gobbledygook MEANS? In real-people terms, I mean, not programmer-geek terms? And, what I can do about it? Thx...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at forums.televisionwithoutpity.com Port 80

I got that as well. I'm no expert but I expect it means: "we have hundreds of Unsullied discussing the episode and melting our server." :P

I guess the forbidden message means they've just plain shut the site off to the public to fix the issue. In my experience there's little to do but wait.

I got that as well. I'm no expert but I expect it means: "we have hundreds of Unsullied discussing the episode and melting our server." :P

I guess the forbidden message means they've just plain shut the site off to the public to fix the issue. In my experience there's little to do but wait.

Whew, thanks, protar. Somehow, I always take these 'puter glitches personally... like 'Forbidden? Why, what did I do so wrong that you're forbidding me from even looking at you? Waaaaahhh...'

:)

Whew, thanks, protar. Somehow, I always take these 'puter glitches personally... like 'Forbidden? Why, what did I do so wrong that you're forbidding me from even looking at you? Waaaaahhh...'

:)

Yeah I get a bit jittery about that too. It's working for me now. :)

Well, it's not just a random name, it's random name of a guy with a flaming sword. It's that kind of little detail that helps you remember something. Not trying to downplay the recall as it is truly impressive and there's no way >I< would remember that two seasons later... but the show did a nice job of putting a little narrative underline there.

Heh, I distinctly remember their 'WTF?!!!' reaction to how casually Jory mentioned the flaming sword. I really hope they explain the wildfire first before showing Beric's flaming sword. I loved the Blu-Ray extra where Theon describes it as 'ridiculous'.

After Pallas speculated that at least Jojen could be a spirit, something else occurred to me. I was struck by the tremendous vibe of familial love that came off of Love Actually kid. He really played almost every moment with Bran as if he loved him dearly and not in any kind of romantic sense. He looked at Bran like this was someone he treasured in his heart. Now, I did see Love Actually so I thought it was possible that it was the old Ringo Starr thing again, "It's just me face!" that maybe that young actor just gives off tremendous fondness when looking earnest.

But then there's something else that is weird, the look his sister gives Osha as they tromp along together and Osha is kind of needling her about having to take care of her brother. She looks so amused by Osha, she has an almost merry look on her face as she answer (essentially) that she doesn't mind. Osha looks suspicious as hell and Sister looks like she could either laugh or hug Osha and again, not in any kind of romantic way.

Like they're family somehow, or something? Maybe it is the connection of the Warg thing, although, the guy in the North had his eyes cloud over and we've never see a cloudy eyed Bran, but that may not be important, because we've never seen Bran controlling this. But it was marked enough that it actually made me nervous and made me wonder what they are up to.

I've been hanging out, trying to figure out if this is the sort of story that would even do this and I came to the conclusion that no, it is not the sort of story that would have this as an element. I just don't think it would go over well and would be seen too much as a twee element. So now that I've disclaimed all over the place, we see Bran's brothers standing beside him in the dreamworld. Then we hear Ned Stark and voila there is Jojen...and he looks at Bran like he loves him dearly and would die to protect him.

After Pallas lobbed the "He's dead, isn't he?" spitball it occurred to me (and no, I don't think this is the kind of story that goes there) "Wow, what if that's not Jojen Reed? What if it's the original Brandon Stark? Would that make sister girl Lyanna?" Now Brandon Stark was apparently incredibly skilled with a sword (said Petyr) but the line we heard from Ned? "Which one of you was an Archer at Ten?" Maybe he wasn't always a gifted warrior.

I'm not sure I even buy that, but at least it kept me diverted for a while. Plus, Summer sniffs Jojen and has a “friend!” reaction. Again, more than anything it was just a fun musing for me. I don’t really think this story would have friendly dead walking, but then ...it actually has the dead walking in more nefarious ways.

Wow, I almost wish it was true!

I don't think there's too much to read into with Thoros singing the Lannister Song. The show is hardly going to create a repertoire of a dozen songs, so instead it's nice to have one or two for some nice continuity. Little running jokes and continuity nods always bring a smile to my face.

Wait for it... Wait for it...

Anyone willing to bet how long does it take them to talk about warging a dragon?

Hehehe, I guess it will be soon ! Like... well... two days ! Yeah... I'd go for three days ! By Friday they'll start talking about it !

One thing I've been watching for but haven't seen there yet, is logical speculation about QoT's reaction to learning that Joff is a monster. She calmly said 'Ah... a pity,' and looked at Margaery, who shrugged. I immediately smiled at that little exchange because it seemed to convey so clearly that they'd discussed this possibility and had devised some contingency plan in case it turned out to be true. Of course, I've read the books, but even in the show, it was such a meaningful little exchange that I expected the Unsullied to begin speculating about it. As in... Ah, a pity, because obviously we're not going to let him loose on Margaery, but we do want Margaery to become THE Queen, so therefore as soon as we're sure that Margaery is THE Queen, we'll have to take steps...

One thing I've been watching for but haven't seen there yet, is logical speculation about QoT's reaction to learning that Joff is a monster. She calmly said 'Ah... a pity,' and looked at Margaery, who shrugged. I immediately smiled at that little exchange because it seemed to convey so clearly that they'd discussed this possibility and had devised some contingency plan in case it turned out to be true. Of course, I've read the books, but even in the show, it was such a meaningful little exchange that I expected the Unsullied to begin speculating about it. As in... Ah, a pity, because obviously we're not going to let him loose on Margaery, but we do want Margaery to become THE Queen, so therefore as soon as we're sure that Margaery is THE Queen, we'll have to take steps...

Well, they are speculating a "hunting accident" with the crossbow, so they're almost there.

Even if they don't get it beforehand, I suspect they'll immediately figure out the truth once the PW happens (unlike me; I actually thought Tyrion was guilty when he tipped over the chalice, and to this day I still don't understand why he did something so obvious).

Incidentally, are they foreshadowing the PW in S3? I'm in the minority opinion here, but I've always thought it made the most dramatic and thematic sense to end the season with Tyrion's arrest.

I'm never any good at speculating where and how an episode or a season would/should end, but there certainly has been a GREAT deal of discussion on this board about PW in S3 vs. PS in S4. All I know is, if Sansa/Tyrion get married in #8, Edmure gets married at the RW in #9, and Joff/Margaery get married in #10, we will have (drum roll, please....)....

Three Weddings and a Funeral :cool4:

Archived