Minor Characters Who Will Come Through

This is a thread to discuss seemingly secondary or even "throwaway" characters who you think will end up doing something big down the line, good or bad. So this isn't about guys like Howland Reed, whose eventual impact is pretty well foreshadowed, or even Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont, who have Chekov's Will.

I will start by nominating Robett Glover. Most of the Rickon-Davos plot analysis centers on Manderly and what his motive is, but it looks like Robett is pretty involved too. He likely has fingers in multiple pies: His wife and kids were Asha's hostages; he's privy to Davos's mission; and he probably knows the contents of Robb's will.

I think it's interesting that we see Robett in White Harbor and then hear or see nothing of him after. I'm wondering if he isn't "hanging back," hiding in the storm with reinforcements "behind" (for lack of a better word) Winterfell, ready to strike if it looks like a fight will break out. There's also the possibility that he's doing work with Manderly's navy for some purpose.

I'll also toss up Aurane Waters, whose turn to piracy will, I suspect, end up having some impact on travel in the Narrow Sea.

I nominate Dagmer Cleftjaw. He has been just chilling at Torrhen's Square for three books now. Both of Balon's offspring are in danger and he will leap off to save them maybe.

That's a good one. It seems like the Torrhen's Square stuff has just been kind of forgotten, but yeah, as far as we know Dagmer's still there doing ... Cleftjaw stuff.

Great thread--I love characters who lurk on the periphery and then end up doing something really significant (aside from the fact that they always end up as the murderers during Hercule Poirot mysteries).

Satin--charismatic and capable of winning loyalty from some pretty tough sells with his talent and gumption, connection to both Oldtown and the Vale (brought to the Watch from a dungeon in Gulltown), steadfastly loyal to Jon and swore his oath in front of a Weirwood. My spidey senses are tingling.

Less throwaway, but Alleras/Sarella Sand--possible future connection between Oldtown, Dorne and the North/NW/Jon himself. Aside from their talk of the Others and the AA prophesy, one of the topics that Sam discussed with Alleras was Jon's rise and election as Lord Commander and I always wondered what the bastard daughter of Oberyn Martell made of that, if that's indeed who Alleras is.

Edric Dayne is my nominee. He has more connections to Jon than anyone not a Black Brother, Stark or Reed. Somehow his house's ancestral sword is going to come into play. And he's now part of the non Stoneheart portion of BwB, and may have parted ways with them in full. He's on the move.

Archived