[Book Spoilers] EP302 Discussion

Ran

The Jaime and Brienne fight scene was extremely disappointing. She toyed with him. First he and and Ned go toe to toe in the show then he gets absolutely embarrassed by Brienne. Are DnD deliberately making it look like Jaime's martial skills were very highly overrated? Other than that and the Shae scene, it was a decent episode.

He's really tired and disheveled, but they could have handled that better. He's too weak to properly fight her. Although with her being able to beat Loras, she can hold her own. I think it's a Jaime POV chapter when they fight, and he's pissed he doesn't have everything he needs, because he's confident he's better. But with the bias of his POV, who knows if he'd truly win?

Oh HELLS yes. This episode was awesome.

• I didn't care about Jojen in the books. He's quite cool here. I loved how he just daintily held his hand up to Summer,
  • Gendry calling Arya out on her names. Glad someone did, since we couldn't get inside Arya's head and hear it ourselves. It adds an appropriate bit of childishness.
  • FUCK YES the Hound! I love that character. I've been a bit miffed at how much chillaxed he is in the show, but he was perfect here. Loved Arya's "oh shit!" expression matched with his "WTF?!" expression. Thoros and Anguey ROCK.
  • I don't see why anyone's complaining about Thoros disarming Arya. She's not Jaime; she's a spitfire for her age and knows a thing or two about swords, but Thoros is a good swordsman and Arya's tiny.
  • Loved Jaime's obvious out-of-shapeness. That he still had Brienne fighting for it at first made him more badass. I'm glad they didn't make it into some epic swordfight; it would have looked weird if Jaime was as on the ball as when he fought Ned. I'm psyched for BEARS.
  • So we see Theon's devolvement into Reek...this is going to be painful but awesome. Oh, and I LOOOOOOVE Ramsay's eyes. They are totally crazy enough.
  • LOL @ Margaery's scene with Joffrey. She saw right away how to handle his crossbow -titters-. It was hilarious how turned-on he was getting.
  • Loved the Queen of Thorns. I'm happy they took out Butterbumps. The scene rocks on paper but it would have lost all the dramatic tension if we were fighting to hear Sansa over someone singing about bears.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

LOL @ Margaery's scene with Joffrey. She saw right away how to handle his crossbow -titters-. It was hilarious how turned-on he was getting.

I thought Joff couldn't get aroused by women since he had Tyrion's whores beaten, but looks like it's doable if in the context of sadism. Marge is being smart here.

2. Karstark lamenting Robb's decision to marry Talisa. It's an odd choice for Karstark to voice this concern. Have they even addressed what impact the marriage had at this point? Or the problem of the Frey's letting cross the Twins. I can't recall anyone mentioning the Frey's forces returning to the Twins. Poor tv only viewers must be very confused..

Good point, I would really have preferred to see more of the politics in Robb's camp - the stuff NOT focused around Cat. I believe just last week, people weren't even sure whether or not Robb's men knew that he'd married someone else. It would have been a good use of time to show more of the immediate consequences for Robb with his men. ETA: The substitution of stupid annoying Talisa instead of Jeyne should have created even more problems - because while a king marrying a lady for honor whose castle he stopped at might be stupid, wouldn't his men have looked upon Talisa as barely more than a camp follower?

Edited by Eponine

She is wooden as a character, not as an actress. Sansa is a repressed and confused teenager under threat for her life. She is clumsy in all sorts of ways as she should be.

:agree: She is a scared girl, alone and captive. Her words are life or death. Every word must be process before uttered. She is not Arya. She was the 'proper lady' of house Stark. I imagine a Victorian England demeanor for her and it would make her wooden and proper.

The minute I find myself getting annoyed that the show deviates so greatly from the book a scene plays out that is so captivating that I kinda forget the story and revel in the glory of the acting and filming. I will defend to the death the greatness of ASOIAF, but the tv adaptation is f ing legit.

Oh HELLS yes. This episode was awesome.

• I didn't care about Jojen in the books. He's quite cool here. I loved how he just daintily held his hand up to Summer,
  • Loved the Queen of Thorns. I'm happy they took out Butterbumps. The scene rocks on paper but it would have lost all the dramatic tension if we were fighting to hear Sansa over someone singing about bears.

Agree with both. Butterbumps would have taken too much explaining and would have been a distraction for the Sansa's dramatic confession.

Bran's voice is starting to sound like Harry Potter.

I cannot believe that Jaime actually called Brienne a giant toe-headed plank. :lmao: "It's shame the throne isn't made out of cocks, you would have never gotten him off it." More Jaimeisms. :lmao:

Edited by Ororo727 Jon Snow Fangirl

No one's said much about the Orrell scene; perhaps it wasn't that memorable.

I thought it was a great introduction to this character--very creepy and unnerving, and McKenzie Crook played it well.

He was a good character - I hope that Jon's scenes focus heavily on all the interesting characters North of the wall.

The minute I find myself getting annoyed that the show deviates so greatly from the book a scene plays out that is so captivating that I kinda forget the story and revel in the glory of the acting and filming. I will defend to the death the greatness of ASOIAF, but the tv adaptation is f ing legit.

I have my complaints about the adaptation as a book fan, but as a television show they're hitting it out of the park. It's excellent stuff.

For those complaining it's not like the books, try to step back and judge the show on its own. A 1:1 conversion would be incredibly boring. For one the plot is too slow; there are too many characters; dialog goes on for paragraphs with no theatrical flow or consideration for speech, and don't forget about Martin's page after page of description and food exposition. All fine for reading; terrible for television.

Remember that GRRM left television to do ASOIAF because he got sick of the budgets and cutting. So he made something that was impossible to adapt. Now in interviews he happily admits he was proven wrong.

The Catelyn Talisa scene. Is it only me who's thinking this scene will be linked when Robb tells her he's making Jon heir?

I loved Anguy's introduction and Arya's scenes in general. Absolutely hated some scenes though, like the Catelyn scene, Joff Marg scene and Tyrion Shae scene.

Edited by Sp_ey_der

For those complaining it's not like the books, try to step back and judge the show on its own.

If it weren't for the books, I wouldn't bother to watch the show every week. It's not so good that I'd make any special attempt for it.

I think that Cat scene was there to remind us that Jon can be legitimized to become a Stark.

Also, it didn't seem like character assassination to me. She admits feeling guilty for wishing death upon a baby, but she still can't love him. I mean I guess admitting guilt for Jon is OOC for Book! Cat, but the not loving him part is still in-character. Besides, this version of Cat is much nicer and a little less sharp.

If she had said that she loved Jon Snow I would've thrown my shoe at the TV.

@Sp Nah, it's not just you.

I cringed at the Shae scene, but there was a shit ton of foreshadowing in it. It gets a pass.

Margaery is awesome and I don't mind the Joffrey scene. She's playing him like a fiddle. Plus, it adds another reason as to why they might want to off Joffrey. He'd kill Loras for being such a ..."degenerate."

I wish the Night's Watch scenes made me feel more terrified. I wish it was at night actually.

NCW as Jaime is perfect. I wish his hair was blonder though.

I like Jojen and the Sansa scenes. So, yeah.

@Epo Much better than most things on TV though.

Edited by Lord_Ravenstone

I thought Joff couldn't get aroused by women since he had Tyrion's whores beaten, but looks like it's doable if in the context of sadism. Marge is being smart here.

I'm not the biggest Margaery fan, but it was great fun watching her exercise her incredible skill and manipulative talents in working Joffrey over. She took Sansa's information about Joffrey's sadism and cruelty and used it as a way to get closer to him. Brava, for real.

Edited by Newstar