Reviewing Dark Wings, Dark Words

Westeros

I thought this episode was a great introductory one. Does anyone else just find themselves discussing and trying to figure out why certain changes were made. I still ask myself about that when it comes to Robbs new wife. Others came to mind, why this Catelyn story about Jon, where are the Brave Companions.

Taking this Vargo Locke guy in more detail, I assume its to make it clearer that Roose is a bad guy / switching sides on them.

For those that haven't read the book I'm putting this in a spoiler

My only qualm would be why have a Roose guy take Jaime's Hand and then Roose let Jaime go. I assume the hand thing will happen on the trip to Harrenhal and whoever does it will be fed to the bears?

It's just a weird thing trying to backtrack all of this and try and fit the pieces together and see where the heck they're going with this stuff.

I did like the added Margery and Joff scenes I think the crossbow maybe important in season 4 or beyond. I like that you get to see more into her manipulation of the Lannister Men. I think Jack Gleeson is doing a great job.

I thought the Queen of Thorns scene worked, but I wish they had referenced people listening and had the fool singing.

also wasn't Lem or someone whistling when they approached Arya and the others in the novels? I think singing Rains works just as well, although I'm kinda tired of that song by now I wish they would use at least one other one!

Cool to see Theon now, I wonder how long they can go on just torturing him, maybe 2 full seasons? Still can't get over the Asha name change either.

All in all pretty solid and I can only assume now that they've set the groundwork that its gonna pick up from here and go!

I think Shae has been doing a great job in her acting, not sure why shes so hated on these forums for her performance.

The scene with Tyrion was hilarious and i like the fact that it seems shes very jealous of him and to me seems to actually love tyrion.

In the future once tyrion does his duty, well..... nothing like a woman scorned.

also wasn't Lem or someone whistling when they approached Arya and the others in the novels? I think singing Rains works just as well, although I'm kinda tired of that song by now I wish they would use at least one other one!

I wish they'd had him humming/whistling The Bear and the Maiden Fair... like we had Tyrion whistling RoC early on in S2. But, oh well.

anyone else feel that some storylines are moving too fast while others are going too slowly for instance both jaime and dany have had very fast mving story's so far (I did not expect dany to be actually on the verge of buying unsullied by the end of episode 1, Only to have decided to change direction and go for astapor and I didn't think we'd be anywhere close to the swordfight scene in jaime's storyline having only had one scene with him so far) while some stories are moving far too slowly like Cat's they (they haven't even got to riverrun yet!)

I also feel that there making roose bolton far too nice and considerate so far, he doesn't seem like the kind of character too turncloak at the moment. admittedly, in the book's he never seems to be particularly evil before he betray's the robb, just quiet and calculating. But, in the show he just seems like a nice guy trying to help robb out whenever possible.

I'm also starting to wonder about Iwan rheon's character, he actually seem's like he's trying to help theon out rather than just being ramsay in disguise, maybe he isn't ramsay after all. I was also hoping for theon to say something like "seven hell's, you stink" when he came near :drunk:

I'm also starting to wonder about Iwan rheon's character, he actually seem's like he's trying to help theon out rather than just being ramsay in disguise, maybe he isn't ramsay after all. I was also hoping for theon to say something like "seven hell's, you stink" when he came near :drunk:

It seemed pretty clear imo that it was Ramsay, messing with Theon's head & letting him believe he will be freed. (The preview of Episode 3 even showed Iwan Rheon's character telling Theon which way to ride in his escape attempt, so he'll know exactly where to find him when he comes hunting).

Oh yeah, the one thing I do very much disagree with from the analysis is the irrational dislike of Natalie Dormer. She's perfect for the Margaery of the TV show. She's be hopeless as book Marg, but as they are very different beasts that's quite OK.

Loved every single moment of it.

- Bran (so tall and grown up!) running. Meeting Jojen in his dream - and BOOM! "The raven is YOU."

- Rickon wakes up at the same time as Bran!!! (more of this please.)

- Love Oona. Love her with Robb. Love that they're giving that some screen time.

- Love Roose being all nice.

- Oh no dark wings, dark words - no demands from...

- POOR THEON!

- It's the Jamie and Brienne Road Show! "The throne should have been made of cocks...." "SHUT YOUR MOUTH" "....we don't choose who we love." Gods I love Jamie so much! He gets the award for Most Teller Of Truths.

- Cersei realizes Monster is out of control.

- Love the Shae/Sansa show! Love Sansa being totally grossed out at the thought of LF being into her even if he's "too old." Sophie's face was awesome. I love Shae! (That outcome is going to be painful.) Then Sansa's SuperCrush on Loras - and finally -

- DAME RIGG. Perfection. Love that they're playing the Lannisters With Flowers angle. It's so true. Sansa's little catharsis. Good to get "Monster" out. Such a great setup for the the QoT.

(I need to start eating while watching. I've never craved lemon cakes and cheese at the same time, but that looked amazing....and a little Pinot Grigio... ah yeah!)

- Orell! Ygritte: "You've never met a warg?" (well...... actually......)

- Loved the Cat scene everyone is moaning about, but then I saw season 1 before I read the books, so I was shocked by BookCat actually wanting Ned to go be Hand to improve their family standings. I've always loved ShowCat a little more than BookCat just because she seems less cold, (and didn't want Ned to go.) I loved this scene because she still subconsciously blames / hates Jon for not being lovable enough for her to get past her own jealousy.

"And everything that's happened since then, all this horror that's come to my family, it's all because I couldn't love a motherless child."

I mean HFS!! He's not just any motherless child, and she knows that. (well... she doesn't know everything, but that might make it worse!)

- "Tarley, I forbid you to die!" Love this. Love the lower they take Sam the better the payoff.

- Jojen and Meera AT LAST! "It's the first time I've ever seen my father cry..." MORE PLEASE!!!! Love how Jojen is just so casually matter-of-fact and to the point. YES! Jojen confirms Howland told him nothing of the rebellion, but also confirms he saw it anyway. Interesting how they see Bran as the most important.

- Love the Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie show! Love all the hot sexy bearded men! Thoros! Tormund! mmmmmm purrr. Hey Sandor! Where ya been? Love that he recognizes Arya immediately. Says something about his humanity in relation to LF wondering WTF.

- Margaery isn't afraid of Joffrey, instead she baits him, and tries to out-sociopath him. Well played Madame. Well played indeed.

- Jamie and Brienne Show cross the wrong bridge. Bummer. Jamie is getting redundant-captured.

Gods another endless week waiting for Sunday!

I just wonder where this season we'll get the

The actress playing Olenna Tyrell is nailing it. Really enjoyed the Thoros of Myr scenes as well.

Really enjoyed the introduction of the Reeds. The flashback to the archery practice as part of Bran's dream at the beginning was a fantastic touch, and I got chills when Jojen mentioned Howland.

Samwell's scene was another highlight, really felt for him.

Was a bit disappointed with the Jaime-Brienne duel, damn it was over faster then I expected. Liked a lot of the dialogue between them, but I wish they'd gotten across how alive Jaime feels with a sword in his hand, like the book did. It helps to make what comes later even more tragic.

As for low points, didn't really care too much for the Tyrion-Shae scene, seemed a bit drawn out and unnecessary.

I agree with the rushing of the episode especially the last scenes of the 2 episodes .... Barristan Selmy was sought of rushed in to me and the fight with Brienne and Jaime seemed really quick :( I wanted a massive duel

That scene looked very cheap to me :lol:

The episode wasn't perfect but after what we got in season2, it was great. I just hope there aren't anymore scenes like the "power is power" scene from season2 :bang:

I think Shae has been doing a great job in her acting, not sure why shes so hated on these forums for her performance.

The scene with Tyrion was hilarious and i like the fact that it seems shes very jealous of him and to me seems to actually love tyrion.

In the future once tyrion does his duty, well..... nothing like a woman scorned.

That is the first time I have ever heard that. She is so bad she ruins scenes with Dinklage. That is new levels of bad.

That is the first time I have ever heard that. She is so bad she ruins scenes with Dinklage. That is new levels of bad.

Well, here's the second time. I disliked Shae in the first season, but since then I thought she's been doing a good (I wouldn't say great relative to the rest of the amazing cast) job.

I've always thought Sibel Kikieli is more than capable as actress -- she's very talented, in fact -- but so far I don't think the writers have provided her a character or scenes that match that talent. They suggest they want Shae to be seen as more an intellectual equal to Tyrion, a match for him, but ... I don't think that's really working out. They've gotten very confused in their depiction, and so she seems rather rootless and inscrutable in a way that I don't think they intended.

They suggest they want Shae to be seen as more an intellectual equal to Tyrion, a match for him

They actually said that? If so, I agree they have missed their mark. I think she's more interesting and smarter than the Shae of the books, but I thought the Shae of the books to be incredibly shallow and vapid for the most part so that's not really saying much.

I do think she's a better match for Tyrion, in the sense of a better partner for him, than Book Shae would have been.

Archived