Comments by characters that changed you opinion of them to a degree

Fetch me a block

One of the standout ones for me was when Kevan Lannister says to Jaime (paraphrasing) that "I was hanging outlaws while you were shitting in your smallclothes. Not every Lannister has shit for honour". Before I didn't really think about Kevan, but it made me realize that most of the Lannisters aren't bad, just their leadership.

I also like it when Doran Martell sarcastically says "I know my dear (Arianne), I am too meek and weak and lenient to our enemies". This really points out that Doran's relatives should absolutely show some damn respect for him, as he is one of the few in their family that isn't IMO a complete fool.

I'll think of some more. How about you?

The Blackfish's comment about Jon when he was "treating" with Jaime Lannister I can't remember the quote off the top of my head but it was something like Jaime said why don't you go to the Wall now that Jon is in command and Blackfish said something like Cat didn't trust the bastard and I won't either. I am a huge Jon Snow fan so that really tainted my view of the the Blackfish.

When Jaime said,"there are no men like me. Only me" it made me think that there was more to Jaime than I first thought. And when I read his POVs I changed my mind about him.

And when Tyrion said to Jaime he killed Joffrey in that spiteful way I thought,'Tyrion has a dark side. I like it.'

I disliked Tywin on my first read but came to really like the character.

"Tywin seems a hard man to you, but he's no harder than he's had to be. Our own father was gentle and amiable, but so weak his bannermen mocked him in their cups. Some saw fit to defy him openly. Other lords borrowed his gold and never troubled to repay it. At court they japed of toothless lions. Even his own mistress stole from him. A woman scarcely one step above a whore, and she helped herself to my mother's jewels! It fell to Tywin to restore House Lannister to its proper place. Just as it fell to him to rule this realm, when he was no more than twenty. He bore that heavy burden for twenty years and all it earned him was a mad king's envy. Instead of the honor he deserved, he was made to suffer slights beyond count, yet he gave the Seven Kingdoms peace, plenty and justice. He is a just man."

"Men say Tywin never smiled, but he smiled when he wed your mother, and when Aerys made him Hand. When Tarbeck Hall came crashing down on Lady Ellyn, that scheming bitch, Tyg claimed he smiled then, and he smiled at your birth, Jaime I saw with my own eyes"

The Blackfish's comment about Jon when he was "treating" with Jaime Lannister I can't remember the quote off the top of my head but it was something like Jaime said why don't you go to the Wall now that Jon is in command and Blackfish said something like Cat didn't trust the bastard and I won't either. I am a huge Jon Snow fan so that really tainted my view of the the Blackfish.

There might have been another reason for that though, if you subscribe to the 'Jeyne Westerling is pregnant' theory.

Stannis' "It glimmers prettily, I'll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than common steel" the penny finally dropped that he is actually his own man rather than being led around by Mel. Which is stupid I know, because at the beginning of ACoK he pretty much tells Davos outright that his main reason for keeping Mel around is her power and not his faith.

Genna Lannister talking about Tywin almost made me warm to him but inevitably failed in that herculean task.

I hate the Blackfish and that comment really sealed my hate but I hate all Tullys except Edmure.

When Sansa and Tyrion was riding to Joffery and Margaery's wedding feast and he brought up the Bran and Sansa replied that her brother was a traitor and Tyrion replied back that Bran and Rickon wasn't traitors but Robb was for rebelling against his rightful King.

Now I love Tyrion but the audience and him know that Joffery was a false king and since the RW was still fresh to me I came so close to hating Tyrion in those couple of words.

Me too! I liked the Blackfish before that, and then he makes a snap Judgment that Jon Snow must be under Lannister influence, just because of preconceived notions from Cat and Jaime's suggestion he go to the wall.

"I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done after the Trident."

Shae's cruel words and insults about Lolly's, including the "all they did was fuck her" line. Up until then I saw her as a whore who was watching her own interest, milking Tyrion for all she could get and had no feelings for her whatsoever. After seeing this I thought what a horrible and desensitized person. This was the only reason I was glad when she died.

When Jaime said,"there are no men like me. Only me" it made me think that there was more to Jaime than I first thought. And when I read his POVs I changed my mind about him.

And when Tyrion said to Jaime he killed Joffrey in that spiteful way I thought,'Tyrion has a dark side. I like it.'

Yep that line is Gold, I always think it somes up Jaime perfectly. Theres arrogance, bitterness, Mockery and a dash of self loathing all in that one line.

Shae's cruel words and insults about Lolly's, including the "all they did was fuck her" line. Up until then I saw her as a whore who was watching her own interest, milking Tyrion for all she could get and had no feelings for her whatsoever. After seeing this I thought what a horrible and desensitized person. This was the only reason I was glad when she died.

Ι agree so much
“She’s asleep. Sleep’s all she ever wants to do, the great cow. She sleeps and she eats. Sometimes she falls asleep while she’s eating. The food falls under the blankets and she rolls in it, and I have to clean her.” She made a disgusted face. “All they did was fuck her.”
reading this I was like “die Shae die”

Me too! I liked the Blackfish before that, and then he makes a snap Judgment that Jon Snow must be under Lannister influence, just because of preconceived notions from Cat and Jaime's suggestion he go to the wall.

Why because he like all humans can make irrational mistakes? Also it is not like the Lannister didn't attempt to influence the LC election.

How can anyone hate Blackfish? I mean I like Edmure, but come on. Aside from Lysa, He's the most worthless Tully. Why hate Hoster as well?

Edmure is one of the few nobles in the entire series who actually gives a damn about the people he's supposed to be lording over, which is a lot more than I can say about his siblings. So much love for Edmure and Beric Dondarrion for protecting the smallfolk. I'd forgotten that the Blackfish said that, he can eff off too :)

Yeah, shame on Blackfish for not realising Jon Snow is the cliched main fantasy character and thus normal logic doesn't apply to him...

Jon becoming the LC at 17 thanks to selling himself to the Lannisters was far more likely than the really contrived actual election.

Archived