Jaime Lannister's death

nordas

My view on cliffhangers is pretty simple. If your left wondering what happened to them, there is no way they died.

Case in point= the hound. Major characters with unfinished story arcs won't die off-page.

Summing this up before-hand, while I agree that to believe someone is dead in the books is dumb folly; it's also folly (just not as dumb) to believe they're alive when we didn't get what we thought was hard evidence that they were killed.

I think you took a wisdom and worded it to where it was just silly. (spoiler) We didn't "witness" all of the stark bannermen die in the RW but we know (as much as a reader CAN know) they did. A few survivors sure, but there's not a secret army out there that walder frey just SAID he killed but really didn't. Possible? Sure! But you can't go assuming EVERYONE is alive or there would be thousands (not even including the RW proceedings) of characters we "know" are still alive. GRRM threw a couple of hundred unknown lives or deaths into the story that we've probably forgotten by now no matter how hard we try to remember them for later b/c we didn't know if they were actually dead or not. He intentionally flooded the reader with those so we wouldn't be able to predict whether or not someone was alive or, in fact, dead as the story seemed to read. But the real point of fact is that we don't REALLY "witness" any of them dying. Martin chooses his wording TO us, therefore we only see what he wants us to which is almost always clouded so we'll never really know if ANYONE died to a certainty or not until we read the last book. Everything else we read into it is speculation.

Summing up again, while I agree that to believe someone is dead in the books is dumb folly; it's also folly (just not as dumb) to believe they're alive when we didn't get what we thought was hard evidence that they were killed.

As much as I love him, I think he will die at the hands of BWB/UnCat. It's being set up that he's going to get out of this predicament and escape somehow. I remember thinking the same damn thing when Ned was imprisoned, even while he was on the verge of being beheaded, I kept saying to myself "Okay now how the hell is he going to get out of this, when does he get saved or escaped".

Jaime is also ready to tell the world about his relationship with Cersei and how he's the childrens true father. I can't see him actually being able to have the opportunity to tell everyone and ruin Cersei and the Lannister regime with that information. It reminds me of when Renly was going to team up with Robb and victory would be pretty much garaunteed, until he was shadow assassinated.

I hope to god he lives, I hope he ends up being Cersei's valonquar, I think he has a lot more to give to the story, but his death would be one of the greatest tragedies in the story, especially if it's at Brienne's hands, and that's why I believe he will die. GRRM has been letting too many close calls happen recently to main popular characters, I don't think Jaime will receive the same treatment. I hope I'm wrong.

I can't see this set up as an ending but as a beginning - a bunch of interesting people meet at the Crossroads.

If Jaime eventually dies I would picture it just as his luck running out at some point out after he has accomplished something important to the plot.

hah, i see most of you guys still have an idealistic view on asoiaf.

Sorry, but there is no way Jaime will redeemed as a hero...He will always be considered as "the kingslayer" in westeros

Agree: Jamie to the reader might make some changes but to the characters of westeros he will always be a antagonist. I do not feel he will lose to Brienne I think Brienne will lose to Jamie, and Jamie will have to continue the quest she promised Catelyn, he would finish. This will bring Pod under Jamie as his squire and send Jamie eventually to the Vale. Corroborating LF story that Sansa is who he says she is. what happens from there anyones guess.

• 3 months later...

I have a feeling Jaime may still be due some sort of final reckoning with the Targaryens, seeing as how he's still defined in the minds of Westerosi by what he did to the last one. Hard to see how he'll (+ Brienne & Pod?) escape the BwB though. From Stoneheart, any sort of mercy for him just will not be an option, and I would tend to think the BwB are no longer granting requests for trial by combat.

This is Jaime's destiny, to be Cersei's Valonqar. I hate it when people say she'll kill him as well but that's what will probably happen.

I totally agree that it seems the only fitting choice for Jaime's death, as well as Cersei's. But I see it more as sacrificing himself and taking her down with him (maybe throwing them both off of Casterly Rock, golden hand clutched around her throat, almost poetic)

Best case scenario, he walks into their camp and is instantly hanged.

That; he needs to be Cersei's valonqar, and I think Cersei will be the one to kill him while he's killing her.

Jaime can't be the valonqar. He has only one hand.

At least when Beric was running the BWB, they knew the value of hostages and understood the importance of resources. If there's any of that sentiment left to counter Lady Stoneheart's need/desire for vengence, there may be consideration of trying to ransom Jaime back to the Lannisters.

My perfect ending is for Jaime to be sat on the Iron Throne at the end of the series, waiting who comes in to claim it. His arcs not over yet and I think he has a big eng game role to play, finally becoming the true Knight he's working towards being.

I like this idea.

I believe that he will eventually die, but in such a way that he will be remembered more as a hero rather than as the kingslayer.

I mean, after his captivity, his character took a dramatic shift for the better.

Now,

why should he be the valonqar? To me it's more than clear that this is Tyrion

• 1 month later...

I think Jaime is as good as dead...

Since when do characters in these books get to have their fairy tale endings and finish their story "Arc"

GRRM started out by making the reader hate Jaime in the first two books, and then when Jaime lost his hand and become POV, he is a sympathetic character to the reader (maybe not all readers).

How like GRRM to kill a character when you are suddenly rooting for him to succeed and not die the horrible death he may deserve (does saving kings landing from Aerys redeem Jaime from his other sins? That is for the gods to decide)

Archived