Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Olaf

Ha! You beat me to it! Thanks!

I kind of liked it... :D

Haven't read it yet. I am currently reading the other one, in The Eye of Heaven, which I am finding..............not very compelling.

I thought it was something similar to awful.

Much better! :D

You're welcome, Jay!

The interview was very interesting. I was especially delighted when he revealed that he was thinking about writing a second seven-book sequence!

That will teach Robert Jordan and Steven Erikson a lesson! :D

Thanks!

The interview was very interesting. I was especially delighted when he revealed that he was thinking about writing a second seven-book sequence!

What I enjoyed about the interview, was that out of all the authors I have interviewed, Scott really comes off as a diehard fan of fantasy and SF more than anyone else, and this characteristic really comes out in his work IMHO, and is related to the quality of 'fun' that just emanates in his work.

Not to mention my surprise thst anything by Raymond Feist could in some way had influecne on anything good.

I am also reading his Live Journal and he really comes across as someone who is not only well-read, but also very articulate about what he is doing. He knows exactly what he wants and where he wants his books to go.

He is from within the genre, but with literary ambition and skills (which really reminds me of Hal Duncan).

He is from within the genre, but with literary ambition and skills (which really reminds me of Hal Duncan).

Acknowledging the obvious that they write completely different varieties of fantastic fiction, I would still not go into Lynch's work expecting something similar in ambition to Duncan. Whether one enjoys Vellum or not, Duncan's ability is something altogether rather unique and undeniable IMHO. I wouldn't describe the The Lies of Locke Lamora as an ambitpous project, even with a very interesting narrative/chapter breakdown. In fact some it's allure for me was that it's damn proof that really grest fantasy can be written chronicling something as relatively simple as a band of rogues in a fantasy city. Duncan is definitely bent on more of a surreal, and post-modern product (which I happen to love) and while I'm not trying to put forward that noti n that such a story is more difficult to write, I think it does allow for ore of a display individual prowes and versatility regarding technique.

I'm not sure if I'd describe the work as something that has literary ambition. It's more like statement of, 'Fuck literary tenets, I'm writing a contemorary sword/sorcery in a post-renaissance fantasy setting, and I don't have to act like the work has to be retarded or aimed at the retarded because of it - but if they do, that's cool to!'

This is a very accesible work, much in the way last years book by Paul Park, A Princess of Roumania was and like it a very effective and impressive book.

I went a bit overboard with my book buying this month, so unfortunately LLL will have to wait until next payday. But that's okay given the number of other books I have on standby.

Well, if he has planned (at least for himself) fourteen books split over two sequences, I call that ambitious, but I agree that the comparison with Hal Duncan is not quite the right one.

I only wanted to stress that they are both young writers at the beginning of their careers, who will probably help shape the face of fantasy in the future. They both love the genre they work in and respect it and know its tradtions and conventions. They honor the writers that founded the genre and shaped it and they do not show contempt for them like some other writers of fantasy.

Well, if he has planned (at least for himself) fourteen books split over two sequences, I call that ambitious, but I agree that the comparison with Hal Duncan is not quite the right one.

I only wanted to stress that they are both young writers at the beginning of their careers, who will probably help shape the face of fantasy in the future. They both love the genre they work in and respect it and know its tradtions and conventions. They honor the writers that founded the genre and shaped it and they do not show contempt for them like some other writers of fantasy.

Lynch comes off great in the interview - knowledgable, funny, witty, interesting. Between the review and in the interview, I'm really looking forward to this book.

Ooch, this Conscience of the Storm thing sounds really cool. I hope he won't get mired in the Locke Lamora books, since I think I want to read this way more than Locke Lamora. (But I will buy Locke Lamora in hardback anyway.)

The book is now available from Amazon.co.uk a few days early.

I just finished reading it today, and it's pretty good. My book review is now online on the blog, if anyone is interested.

Just one word of advice: Don't believe the hype. This is a fun-filled caper, nothing too grand. But it is a joyride, though! :D

Patrick

I stuck up a thread on it at SFX as they curiously hadn't mentioned the book beforehand (and missed it out of their big preview of SF & Fantasy novels a few months back). I plan to pick it up later in the week, bank balance willing.

The Brits obviously have superior taste. Oh yeah, if you scroll to the bottom of the VG catalogue you can actually see whae he looks like (oh, I see you did). R. Scott Bakker's younger brother from the look of him, but hasn't quite got the hair right.

This guy is younger than me. I feel so old. :cry:

This guy is younger than me. I feel so old. :cry:

Bah. Who cares how old he is?! Tairly outranks us all, and that has not caused me to drink more than a normal amount. As for the hair...Scott B. wins. At least he doesn't look like a deli guy. :lol: S. Lynch is metrosexual x4 and jonesin' for a gift certificate to Kiehls (Mamatas bogarted the lot of 'em). Bakker just needs a haircut. :lmao:

Archived