Quentyn possibly alive?

Civfan

I've seen a few people say "what's the point of Quentyn's POVs if he's dead?" People respond with consequences to potential Dornish alliances, Mereen wildcards, etc.

Just finished re-reading ADWD and Quentyn's story benefitted greatly from the second read. With the possible exception of Theon's escape, his last chapter is probably the most riveting in the book! The whole POV is about persevering despite being completely out of your depths - maesterless in a strange land, not speaking the language, joining (and double crossing!) a company of mercenaries so a shy virgin can woo a queen renowned as a succubus, and after failing in that, a completely batshit plot to tame dragons! He ultimately fails, but the courage he summons in the dragon pit is satisfying in itself.

Reminded me a good deal of the Hemingway short story "The Short Happy Life of Frances Macomber."

I actually posted a month ago about how Quentyn is one of the most underrated characters on this forum. All I'm saying is that if Quentyn had actually tamed the dragon, as he seemed to be doing, everyone would be saying how he had balls of steel and was the man. As it is, he is a "mud man", without a gift for anything in particular but a strong sense of duty to his house and his region. He's basically a Dornish Ned Stark... Ned wasn't handsome, wasn't a brilliant warrior, wasn't particularly popular with ladies, but he was loyal to his house and the North, and he was conscientious of his duty to the North. Quentyn gets a lot of stick he doesn't deserve and for that reason alone I want him to be alive.

I actually posted a month ago about how Quentyn is one of the most underrated characters on this forum. All I'm saying is that if Quentyn had actually tamed the dragon, as he seemed to be doing, everyone would be saying how he had balls of steel and was the man. As it is, he is a "mud man", without a gift for anything in particular but a strong sense of duty to his house and his region. He's basically a Dornish Ned Stark... Ned wasn't handsome, wasn't a brilliant warrior, wasn't particularly popular with ladies, but he was loyal to his house and the North, and he was conscientious of his duty to the North. Quentyn gets a lot of stick he doesn't deserve and for that reason alone I want him to be alive.

Too bad cause he's deader than Ned.

He's dead, and I am always surprised when people say his POV was worthless.

Quentyn's story wasn't about him, it was about the Dornish trying to bring Dany back west. It was about setting the dragon's free in order for them to go crazy when the Battle of Fire starts. Most importantly, it seals the deal for the Martells to wholeheartedly support Aegon/YG in the upcoming Dance 2.0.

I also believe that Arch and Drink will end up being more important due to the fact that Dany, when/if she returns to Meereen, will have something resembling a Small Council/Westerosi Kingsguard for the journey West. She'll have a Hand(Tyrion), a Grand Admiral(Victarion), a Grand Maester(Marwyn), Lord Commander of her Queensguard(Barristan), and also, if they all survive/get back in Dany's good graces, six members to round out the Queensguard(Mormont, Drink, Arch, Barristan's squires/knights).

Can we just let the kid rest in peace? This isn't like Jon's stabbing, where we all have been shown via dreams and Mel's fires that he'll be alive again. Quent's story is over. He came to late for Dany, and while he was brave for trying to tame a dragon, he was also stupid for trying to tame a dragon.

Quent is dead. I liked him, and I like Drink and Arch, but he's just dead. I think he served to bring Drink and Arch to Dany as advisors/sword swords and to show a house that wanted Dany to return and their efforts to return her.

I actually posted a month ago about how Quentyn is one of the most underrated characters on this forum. All I'm saying is that if Quentyn had actually tamed the dragon, as he seemed to be doing, everyone would be saying how he had balls of steel and was the man.

This is so true, but sometimes it only takes one mistake to undo everything someone has done.

He didnt succeed, he failed because of a simple oversight, he's a fool.

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe he's dead but I also think it's interesting how GRRM included certain details into that situation which could indicate his survival. Everyone going into the dragon pit wearing the same uniforms and different masks so it was hard to tell each other apart just seemed so. . . mystery novel-ish. Could just be GRRM screwing with us, of course.

And then, we have these comments on different chapters

>A good honest face, a girl had called it once, but you should smile more.

>Smiles had never come easily for Quentyn Martell, any more than they did for his lord father.

>The tiny Naathi scribe looked up at his approach. “Honored ser. The prince is beyond pain now. His Dornish gods have taken him home. See? He smiles.”

Coincidence? I think not.

It seems to imply Quentyn is in fact Tywin Lannister Reborn.

More seriously nothing against the theory, but Quentyn being alive too (after Rickon, Bran, Davos, Brienne, Tyrion, Jon, Cat all being presumed dead or ending chapters in deadly situations at some point) would be a little too many false deaths. Sometimes someone needs to really die.

But why? Why would they lie to Barry and to everyone? What role does Quentyn truly have in the future if he really is alive? And why would GRRM fake-death so much and so often?

I understand the evidence, but it's still far-fetched.

EDIT: I would prefer it though because as it is Quentyn seems pointless. And a waste because he really had potential, he was an okay character.

I'm not sure what his being alive would accomplish story-wise. It would mean that he is a dragon rider, which seems week as far as that goes. Looking at the options for the other 2 heads of the dragon Quentyn is possibly the weakest. I think the story goes in more interesting places if he really is dead. Arianne and the rest of Dorne would have a greater motive for joining Aegon's cause. It fulfills the "sun sets in the west" prophesy, and leaves open the dragon rider position for more interesting candidates.

'E's passed on! This Quentyn is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-QUENTYN!

I cannot believe I got that reference!

It seems to imply Quentyn is in fact Tywin Lannister Reborn.

More seriously nothing against the theory, but Quentyn being alive too (after Rickon, Bran, Davos, Brienne, Tyrion, Jon, Cat all being presumed dead or ending chapters in deadly situations at some point) would be a little too many false deaths. Sometimes someone needs to really die.

I think that's why I never believe it until it's sure.

There's obviously a good chance he's just dead, but I think there's enough evidence to support that he might not be- and more than enough "fuzziness" in the facts to support that we shouldn't be sure.

He's gonna meet with Dany and she'll be all, 'forget Daario I wanna be yours' and he'll be like not today babe, I've got a date with destiny. And he'll put on his sunglasses and ride off on Viseryon, leaving her in the dust. And he'll fight Darkstar or whatever.

You'll see. It'll be great.

So your saying that Mr.Dragoncrisp is the Tattered Prince, hmm could be, but wouldn't Barristan know if Tatters was still alive? He plans on sending Gerris and Archibald back with the Tattered Prince as envoys to negotiate for the hostages, so unless Quent is hiding out as a Brazen Beast somewhere I believe he is dead as a doornail... unless this has been their plan all along?

'E's passed on! This Quentyn is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-QUENTYN!

:rofl:

Yes, he's most definitely dead.

Archived