[ADWD, TWOW Spoilers] 10 days to prepare

di229

So I was on a standard boredom reread and I came across a small oddity I was wondering about. Now we all know JonCon intends to take Storm's End, and as of TWOW has succeeded in doing so if what Arianne has heard is true. What I'm wondering about is how he managed it; he suggested he would do it "by guile" which of course lead everyone to think false flag. However I think I found a counter argument to this suggestion.

[in response to Homeless Harry suggesting patience]

"We shall [wait]. Ten days. No longer. It will take that long to prepare"

Prepare what? To me this suggests they needed to construct something to take Storm's End by guile... any ideas?

My "guess" is that they persuaded the Stannis forces that they were hired by Stannis for reinforcements. Walked right in the front gate. Maybe they had info from the north that stannis was planning that.

From what I know of Storm's End, it's described as probably the hardest castle to take in Westeros. If they're going to construct something that will aid in the taking of the castle in just ten days then it's not an ordinary weapon. They're just probably waiting for some of JonCon's friends or the men Varys would likely send in order to aid Aegon.

Or maybe they got themselves a priestess of the Lord of Light and got her to bring forth shadow babies. I'm not talking about Melisandre though. (Gosh this is so crackpot I can't even.)

Yeah my initial thought is that what Connington meant was that it would take that long a time to gather the forces and prepare for the upcoming campaign, gathering supplies and sending out scouts and whatnot.

Even though he doesnt want to wait anymore I suppose that he is hoping for further reinforcements during those ten days.

My "guess" is that they persuaded the Stannis forces that they were hired by Stannis for reinforcements. Walked right in the front gate. Maybe they had info from the north that stannis was planning that.

You're good. That's a very likely scenario. Stannis had hired SellSAILS, why not sellswords? It's on the grapevine that the Golden Company cancelled their contract with Myr. Poor Aegon will be dissapointed, though. Not much of a battle to lead if it works.

You're good. That's a very likely scenario. Stannis had hired SellSAILS, why not sellswords? It's on the grapevine that the Golden Company cancelled their contract with Myr. Poor Aegon will be dissapointed, though. Not much of a battle to lead if it works.

However, Tarly and his bunch are on the way, so he'll get his wish. however, have storm's end to retreat to is a huge strategic advantage instead of SE being the anvil and tarly the hammer.

EDIT: (pulling this from my nether regions) 10 days may be the prep for the ambush on Tarly's expected arrival.

Pushed into the sea by elephanst ;)

Serious response though, the ten days is to rally the GC forces. They probably took Stormend by wiping out any Tyrell token siege force, and claiming to be relief sent by Stannis.

I think this is the best answer. Although for a moment I thought that it would be funny if they took the ten days to prepare one of the GC-ships to resemble Davos onion boot. The defenders bring the ship in, but the food turns out to be poisened or the ship might be filled with armed men, the GC takes Stormsend, give a sign and the other GC members attack the Tyrell force. If it were to play out this way than the GC is sure to take the castle, since even if they defeat the Tyrells, the defenders might refuse to open the gates.

I think this is the best answer. Although for a moment I thought that it would be funny if they took the ten days to prepare one of the GC-ships to resemble Davos onion boot. The defenders bring the ship in, but the food turns out to be poisened or the ship might be filled with armed men, the GC takes Stormsend, give a sign and the other GC members attack the Tyrell force. If it were to play out this way than the GC is sure to take the castle, since even if they defeat the Tyrells, the defenders might refuse to open the gates.

Agreed. Something like this is the only way claiming they were relief from Stannis would work - they would need to be disguised as his men to pull it off, and they would also need to be relatively few in number (Storm's End men would know that Stannis doesn't have many (any) men to spare). I'm sure Stannis's forces at Storm's End are aware that he has basically no money, so there is no way he could afford the Golden Company. Not to mention that Stannis is way too proud to hire sellswords, which the Storm's End force would also be aware of.

Archived