Does Dany know that Aerys murdered Rickard and Brandon Stark?

John W

Is Dany aware that Robert's Rebellion didn't happen in a vacuum?

Is she aware that Lyanna was supposedly abducted and that Rickard and Brandon, as well as others, were murdered without a trial?

I know that Barristan Selmy is trying to educate her on some recent history but it seems that that part is getting left out.

She definitely knows that Rhaegar got hold of Lyana, as Dany mentions Rhaegar and his "Northern Girl". I'm not so certain about Rickard and Brandon though, but I doubt Viserys wouldn't have told her about it without some wicked Targaryen spin. Barristan should just man the fuck up and tell her that her father was a dick.

No, she only knows the distorted version of events as told to her by Viserys. She sorta knows that Aerys was mad, but says that she isn't ready to hear the dirty details.

We saw how she reacted when Barriston stood up for Ned Stark, so I'm guessing that if she hears how they were killed, she might think that the Starks deserved it for rebelling against Aerys. She holds everyone involved in the rebellion equally responsible for the wrongs that were done her family.

Why should it matter to Dany at this point? Aerys, as mad as he was, was the rightful King. If a lordling comes to the capital threatening a Prince, what do you think will happen? Lord Rickard was given a trial (sort of). From Dany's viewpoint they were rebels (regardless of the reason) and she wants her father's throne.

Its really quite strange that she kept putting it off. As prideful as she is when it comes to telling herself that she is 'the blood of the dragon' you'd think she'd want to know the non-glamorized truth about her family A LOT SOONER than when she was finally willing to ask.

*edited to prevent further baseless assumptions about what I do and don't maintain.

Goodness it seems like no one has a good memory for where Dany was in terms of being ready to hear the truth about her family. She actually asks Barristan to tell her even the ugly bits and they get interrupted by Hizdar and then she flies off on Drogon. So mentally she was ready but just didn't get the chance. No doubt that she was avoiding hearing about her family details prior to that, but she didn't even know the "Mad King" part until Barristan showed up in SOS and told her, so it isn't like she's been sitting on the knowledge that her family was crazy all her life or even for the durration of the book series. So given that she still only has Viserys' version of events, I'd say she does not know the details of Rickard and Brandon's deaths - and I'm not sure if Barristan does either (I honestly can't remember if he was witness to it or how far the details of their deaths spread).

Goodness it seems like no one has a good memory for where Dany was in terms of being ready to hear the truth about her family. She actually asks Barristan to tell her even the ugly bits and they get interrupted by Hizdar and then she flies off on Drogon. So mentally she was ready but just didn't get the chance. No doubt that she was avoiding hearing about her family details prior too that, but she didn't even know the "Mad King" part until Barristan showed up in SOS and told her, so it isn't like she's been sitting on the knowledge that her family was crazy all her life or even for the durration of the book series. So given that she still only has Viserys' version of events, I'd say she does not know the details of Rickard and Brandon's deaths - and I'm not sure if Barristan does either (I honestly can't remember if he was witness to it or how far the details of their deaths spread).

She's had plenty of chances before taking off on Drogon.

Goodness it seems like no one has a good memory for where Dany was in terms of being ready to hear the truth about her family. She actually asks Barristan to tell her even the ugly bits and they get interrupted by Hizdar and then she flies off on Drogon. So mentally she was ready but just didn't get the chance. No doubt that she was avoiding hearing about her family details prior too that, but she didn't even know the "Mad King" part until Barristan showed up in SOS and told her, so it isn't like she's been sitting on the knowledge that her family was crazy all her life or even for the durration of the book series. So given that she still only has Viserys' version of events, I'd say she does not know the details of Rickard and Brandon's deaths - and I'm not sure if Barristan does either (I honestly can't remember if he was witness to it or how far the details of their deaths spread).

Pretty sure he witnessed the trial since he was KG at the time and highly trusted by Aerys,so he was probably there just like Jaime.

She's had plenty of chances before taking off on Drogon.

Sigh. And I acknowledged those but that doesn't change that she changed her mind and had come to the point of wanting to hear the truth right before she got whisked away. Before the pit she did want Barristan tell her everything and Hizdar came in and interrupted, thus she did not have time from that point on to find out. Basically she was ready to hear the truth the day of the fighting pit, and events with Drogon intervened.

She has a very faulty concept of a lot of things. In some ways she's a lot like Sansa, expecting things to come out the way they do in songs. If one were pressed to describe either of them in one word that word would be naive. But Dany's personality is better described in two words, the other being 'haughty.'

Just look at how surprised she was to find that dragons will eat children when they're hungry. The girl needs a lesson or two in reality.

Sigh. And I acknowledged those but that doesn't change that she changed her mind and had come to the point of wanting to hear the truth right before she got whisked away. Before the pit she did want Barristan tell her everything and Hizdar came in and interrupted, thus she did not have time from that point on to find out. Basically she was ready to hear the truth the day of the fighting pit, and events with Drogon intervened.

No need for the condescending sigh! I acknowledge that she did eventually ask. This doesn't change the fact that she spent quite a while choosing to be blissfully ignorant.

Archived