Top 7 military commanders in ASOIAF (including Robert's Rebellion)

Fetch me a block

she went from having a few dozen people wandering starving in the desert to having a formidable army in what, a year or two? and won battles along the way. what more does she have to do?

Given the purview of the thread, command a battle honestly. The battles at Yunkai and Meereen were commanded by subordinates.

That said, she has shown considerable skill at orchestrating situations fortuitious to her commanders that ensured victories (flipping the Stormcrows, getting the Second Sons drunk, scuttling ships to provide rams).

also, no mention of dany? i know everyone hates her, but she built an army from nothing and rampaged around the place winning a few battles.

She is hated because she will more than likely wipe the floor with most people's favorite character, anything they say or predicted is nothing but wishful thinking. She hasn't lost a battle yet either, so she must be mentioned in the top 3 of any military commander list.

She is hated because she will more than likely wipe the floor with most people's favorite character, anything they say or predicted is nothing but wishful thinking. She hasn't lost a battle yet either, so she must be mentioned in the top 3 of any military commander list.

While I personally think very highly of Danny, the fact that she's 'unbeaten' in the field doesn't automatically make her a great commander. Sure, she does good things for herself and her cause, but she doesn't personally orchestrate/lead the battles, and you have to admit that she's heavily favored in most of her encounters.

While I personally think very highly of Danny, the fact that she's 'unbeaten' in the field doesn't automatically make her a great commander. Sure, she does good things for herself and her cause, but she doesn't personally orchestrate/lead the battles, and you have to admit that she's heavily favored in most of her encounters.

The fact that she hasn't lost can only enhance the idea that she is a good commander. Leading battles is overrated, just ask Tywin Lannister and Mace Tyrell. The notion of being heavily favored can apply to any side that is better equipped and prepared, it's a part of being good.

Jfc there is so much wrong with this. Lets start with fair isle.

He did not have "the whole realm" with him, you pulled that from lord knows were. He had the royal fleet and the redwynne fleet. It is true that he had a numerical advantage over the ironborn but numbers are not the most important factor. The ironborn are the best sailors in westeros, are far more used to fighting at sea, and are far more effective in naval combat then men from the mainland. Stannis sprung a cunning trap on the ironborn that allowed him to prevent them from escaping and allowed him to use all his advantages fully in the battle to maximize his chances of success. It worked flawlessly. Had Stannis not destroyed the iron fleet Robert would not have been able to transport troops to the iron islands due to risk of getting attacked by the iron fleet, and no ship is more vulnerable then one packed with men. After this Stannis subdued great wyk in Roberts name.

Then we have the battle at the wall, and according to you that shouldn't count for some reason, well im sorry but that's complete and utter bullshit. Not only did mance have bout 20k wildling warriors(and another 80k women children and old men) but he had unconventional weapons in the form of mammoths and giants. Stannis plan was simple, launch a three pronged attack of heavy cavalry and encircle the wildlings, then bring in the infantry. The plan once again worked flawlessly as mances host was smashed.

Holding Storms end shows how iron his will is, and good a leader of men he is. All it takes is one starving man to open the gates and game over. The fact that Stannis at 17 is able to keep discipline and order in Starving men speaks volumes to his ability as a leader of men.

As for being stuck in the snow at winterfell

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

Ever heard of alexander nevsky and the BATTLE OF ICE? Yeah well Stannis is about to pull something similar, and there is tons of foreshadowing for this.

1.The holes in the lake

2.His men are on foot

3. They hold the ground, his exact words

4.The battle in real life is even called the battle of ice, it couldn't be any more obvious.

Then there is the assault on KL. The lannisters had supreme luck and he had shitty luck. First a huge storm hit his fleet slowing them down and giving tywin and the tyrells time to ally. As well as the lannisters and tyrells having absolutely perfect timing and reaching the city very quickly. It was a loss no doubt, but the rearguard was masterfully done and allowed Stannis to get to safety.

And I will leave us with these quotes:

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

I have felt from the beggining that Stannis was a greater threat then all the others combined.-Tywin Lannister(also note, this is after renly has 100k men and robb has smashed jaimes host)

I was reading this thread just waiting for the standard E-Ro posts every Stannis achievement ever post, Well done.

Jon Connington deserves to be mentioned on any list of great commanders as well, he doesn't get much respect but the man was an exceptional commander.

As soon as WoW comes out and we see his plan for SE then I think he'll be up there at least at number 7.

theon, really? the taking of winterfell was disastrous and hardly even difficult given there was no one defending.

Theon's taking Winterfell was only a mistake because he wanted to hold the castle to prove himself to his father. His plan was a great one, but if he would have taken Bran and Rickon as hostages back to Pyke or to Deepwood Motte where Asha had a stronger position, it would have been a brilliant move. His lingering was his downfall.

When the series is finally over—1,000 years from now—Tyrion will be considered the best military strategist of them all. Mark it down, ladies and gentlemen! Why do you think GRRM has him playing all that cyvasse? The defense of KL was pure brilliance, by the way.

Here is my list of best military commanders in ASOIAF, I have given more options because I cant decide which one of them comes before the other

1. Robert Baratheon/Bloodraven - BR hasn't fought any battles in a long time but he is still a part of ASOIAF and I have included him as he yet lingers on,
  2. Tywin Lannister/Randall Tarly/Eddard Stark
  3. Stannis Baratheon/Jon Snow/Robb Stark/Ser Brynden Tully/Ser Barristan Selmy/Ser Lyn Corbray - Ser Barristan Selmy is a good battle commander but in the reign of Aerys lived in the shadow of his white brothers (Ser Arthur Dayne/Ser Gerald Hightower/Prince Lewyn Martell), I have included Lyn Corbray as he broke the Dornish Army in the battle of Trident during Robert's Rebellion, the Dornish host was led by Prince Lewyn Martell who had a very good reputation, Lyn Corbray has a fearsome reputation in the vale as well.
  4. Bronze Yohn Royce - has a good reputation in the Vale second only to Lyn Corbray
  5. Victarion Greyjoy
  6. Davos - I have included him as in ACOK he saw the danger of the boom/chain and thought how he would have done it differently than Estermont, Davos would make a good Admiral
  7. Mathis Rowan/Kevan Lannister - he has a good reputation as we know from the comments of Kevan Lannister and he himself can do well as a battle commander.

I like that comment so much, Dany wasn't even mentioned and we know she's been wiping the floor with people. I think she's up to 5 battles and 3 personal quests all victories.

When the series is finally over—1,000 years from now—Tyrion will be considered the best military strategist of them all. Mark it down, ladies and gentlemen! Why do you think GRRM has him playing all that cyvasse? The defense of KL was pure brilliance, by the way.

people give him too much credit for BW, remember that the wildfire was all cerci's doing!!!

Archived