I suspect Manderly has at least 4000 heavy horse left in his hands

The Frosted King

His line to Davos about his resources puts me here.

That would be an enormous number this late in the war. Plus, if he's got that many horse, i'd wager he's got around 5-6k infantry left.

That wouldn't pause the Tyrells, but it would slow the Lannisters.

Holy shit. I knew Manderly had more men than Bolton alone but not this many! That's good news for the Starks then. Is that of his regulars and/or reserves? Because if he drained his levies dry he could get even more.

And with the retrieval of Rickon he is suddenly a very powerful man.

Talk about Manderly brownie points for thousands of years. Westeros seems to have a way better grasp over their history than even we do, so I can only imagine how close their families will be going forward.

i and others suspect that the host white harbor has built in secret is under Glover's command (he met with Davos and Manderly in Whiteharbor) and may in fact be with Rickon as the battle in the ice unfolds. Stannis is outnumbered and the Freys, Boltons and (they think, Manderlys too) are coming. Battles seem to be featuring late arrivals that turn the outcome lately, mahaps this will turn this one as well.

And where exactly did you come up with these Numbers? First even if the Numbers are correct the Tyrell force is in the 70k range, excluding their fleet of Hundreds of ships. Tyrells have near 3 times the the current Lannister force. People also forget that a large majorite of the Storm lords went over to the Tyrells.

Manderly does not have a lot of infantry or cav, because he is a sea power not a land power. He lost most of his land power at the Red Wedding, and the North lost the majority of it's strength already.

So when Ned's life is in danger and Robb charges off North he can only spare 1,500 men, half the men that the far far North bannermen like the the Karstarks and Umbers can muster yet with the threat of the Boltons being in control and a chance to ward(manipulate) Rickon he can raise much more. hmmm seems Manderlay isnt so much loyal as an opportunistic Lord no different to the majority in Westeros.

And where exactly did you come up with these Numbers? First even if the Numbers are correct the Tyrell force is in the 70k range, excluding their fleet of Hundreds of ships. Tyrells have near 3 times the the current Lannister force. People also forget that a large majorite of the Storm lords went over to the Tyrells.

Manderly does not have a lot of infantry or cav, because he is a sea power not a land power. He lost most of his land power at the Red Wedding, and the North lost the majority of it's strength already.

Guess you forgot Davos last chapter where Manderly says he has more heavy horse then all the Northern Lords (combined I think he said but not sure, he def said he had the most though)

I think the Tyrell army is overrated in terms of numbers, they don't got 100k men, remember when Tyrion even says that sounds awfully high for one region to possess.

So when Ned's life is in danger and Robb charges off North he can only spare 1,500 men, half the men that the far far North bannermen like the the Karstarks and Umbers can muster yet with the threat of the Boltons being in control and a chance to ward(manipulate) Rickon he can raise much more. hmmm seems Manderlay isnt so much loyal as an opportunistic Lord no different to the majority in Westeros.

White Harbor had many men laboring on Ned's orders given before his capture, raise walls, build ships etc. That work has since been completed, freeing up easily a few thousand.

Ned ordered him to prepare the defenses of White Harbour. I assume that he'd need a significant amount of men to keep the place well defended. Also, numbers alone aren't all that matters. It's no good Robb scraping the barrel and heading south if he can't feed them all.

Guess you forgot Davos last chapter where Manderly says he has more heavy horse then all the Northern Lords (combined I think he said but not sure, he def said he had the most though)

I think the Tyrell army is overrated in terms of numbers, they don't got 100k men, remember when Tyrion even says that sounds awfully high for one region to possess.

The Tyrell army with the Stormlords under Renly was 100k, not one region but two, Tyrell armies on their own are more like 50k

I don't think Manderly has 4000 heavy horse more like 1500 (I mean the knights and well trained men on heavy horse, sure manderly can bring more horses but they wont be the same as the trained heavy horses), White harbour is the only true city and port in the North and Manderly has enough manpower and ships, he took only 300 horse to winterfell (100 knights), I like the guy and his Pies!

The Tyrell army with the Stormlords under Renly was 100k, not one region but two, Tyrell armies on their own are more like 50k

The Tyrell army would be significantly larger in number than the Stormlands army. The Reach is larger, more fertile, with more towns and cities, more resources, more trade, better weather, yadda yadda. Martin described the Stormlands as consisting of something like rocks, trees and little else.

Don't forget, the Northern heavy horse are described as being knights in all but name. And, if he can call up 4000 heavy cavalrymen, I'm pretty sure that means he can support a significantly higher number of infantrymen. Horses are EXPENSIVE, both in terms of coin and in feed.

Ned ordered him to prepare the defenses of White Harbour. I assume that he'd need a significant amount of men to keep the place well defended. Also, numbers alone aren't all that matters. It's no good Robb scraping the barrel and heading south if he can't feed them all.

So then why did he accept the extra 4,000 from the Freys? When Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, Torrens Square and Winterfell taken where was the White Harbour forces then. The Boltons, despite sending more men South send a larger host to save Winterfell.

In what chapter does Ned order him to prepare the defenses of White Harbour?

So then why did he accept the extra 4,000 from the Freys? When Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, Torrens Square and Winterfell taken where was the White Harbour forces then. The Boltons, despite sending more men South send a larger host to save Winterfell.

One, the Frey's would have their own supplies, so he wouldn't need to haul down more food from the North. Two, Robb would've taken the forces of the Riverlands into account.

"Once you are home, send word to Helman Tallhart and Galbart Glover under my seal. They are to raise a hundred bowmen each and fortify Moat Cailin. Two hundred determined archers can hold the Neck against an army. Instruct Lord Manderly that he is to strengthen and repair all his defenses at White Harbor, and see that they are well manned. And from this day on, I want a careful watch kept over Theon Greyjoy. If there is war, we shall have sore need of his father's fleet."

Eddard IV.

I do not have my book with me but its in the one where he's talking to Cat in the Brothel in KL. he tells her to have the Manderlys and Dustins I think send men to Moat Calitin and for Manderly to fortify WH and start building warships. He is in control of a large city and had smaller lords under him. He is the key player in the north.

Archived