I suspect Manderly has at least 4000 heavy horse left in his hands

The Frosted King

Can someone clearify, why did he only bring 300 men to Winterfell in ADWD? If he has much more (not counting the hidden/secret forces) then Bolton ought to know that and demand more of them?

They were coming to a wedding not a battle. None of the lords bought anything more than a retinue. As can easily be confirmed - The Freys have 2000 men with them, Bolton had around 4,500 men with him( I'd guess that includes 3000-3500 Bolton men and 1000 odd other northmen ). Now together this force is 6,500. But according to Theon the total force in WF is also around 6-7k , so I'm guessing the other lords only bought a hundred men or so each.

For everyone acting all shocked that White Harbor could have an army the size of the entire Stormlands, think about this:

Geographically, the land area that the Manderlys control is probably just as big, if not bigger, than the entire Stormlands!

Oh and they have one of five true cities in Westeros as a centerpiece, something the Stormlands doesn't have.

So with this in mind---along with the fact that Manderlys holding back the majority of his forces from Robb's quick march since they were prime to be attacked from the south---it seems downright logical to think Manderly could have an enormous force at his disposal that he is keeping quiet from his "allies" of Bolton & Frey.

Probably a combination of several factors:

• Bolton didn't know of size of Manderly's army until he reached WF, when it's too late to complain
  • Bolton sent Northern lords invitation for wedding, not summons for war. I don't think any of the Northern lords in WF brought more than few hundred men with him. Bringing too large army to a wedding could be seen as threat
  • most of Northmen despised Boltons and probably wanted to aid them as little as they dared

Aah, that's right! Forgot about the wedding. Was reading about Stannis and only had that on my mind. Thanks!

your estimate seems absurdly high; sorry to say, since the MANderly is one of my favorite lords of the north. If you'll recall, he sent Wendel and Wylis south with about 1500 men, which was HALF the size of the Karstark's host. I'm not suggesting he sent his full strength at the time, he would have needed to leave behind significant numbers to defend his city, far more than what would be required for a castle. But considering the losses he suffered during TWOT5K, going from 1500 to 5-6 k (is that including the 4 k heavy horse or no?) seems highly unlikely.

If they can raise 4000 heavy horse (each knight has a squire), they should be able to raise at least 8000 men-at-arms, which would probably make Manderly the most powerful minor Lord in the Realm.

He is top three, together with Lord Hightower and Lord Redwyne. Those three stand head and shoulder above every other Lord.

He is top three, together with Lord Hightower and Lord Redwyne. Those three stand head and shoulder above every other Lord.

Are you sure about Redwynes? I remember it's mentioned (possibly by Sam) that House Hightower can muster 3 times as many men as any other Tyrell bannerman.

Manderly can also hire sellswords too. White Harbor also has a lot of workmen free now that were building ships and the fortification that were commanded of them by Ned before he was captured and imprisoned.

What about the Tyrells, Lannisters...?

Are Lord Paramounts, that's an entirely different level than.

Are you sure about Redwynes? I remember it's mentioned (possibly by Sam) that House Hightower can muster 3 times as many men as any other Tyrell bannerman.

That's probably excluding the Redwynes. Paxter Redwyne has a fleet of at least the same strength as the Royal one (less of a landforce though), that's taking a lot of men and money and putting him in the range of the Hightowers and Manderlys.

If they can raise 4000 heavy horse (each knight has a squire), they should be able to raise at least 8000 men-at-arms, which would probably make Manderly the most powerful minor Lord in the Realm.

The Hightowers can likely field three times as many men and the Redwynes should be able to equal Manderly's ground force while far outstripping his navy.

I'm always surprised at how little we hear about the Hightowers. Looking at a map of Westeros, one can see the area around Oldtown is geographically distinct from the Reach, which is otherwise entirely the basin of the Mander and her tributaries. I wonder why the Hightowers don't try to play the game at all. Even by abstaining from sending troops to the Tyrells main force they could have had a significant effect on the war of the 5 kings. I suppose the tyrells have done a terriffic job of tying all the major Reach houses to them, otherwise they'd hardly be the kingmakers they've been thus far in ASOIAF.

The Hightowers can likely field three times as many men and the Redwynes should be able to equal Manderly's ground force while far outstripping his navy.

House Hightower can field 12.000 heavy horse and 24.000 men-at-arms? Not doubting you here, but could you please provide a quote here?

You are right though, I forgot about Hightower, they can definitely field more men than the Manderlys.

No way does Lord Manderly have anything near 4,000 heavy horse. However, he did hold his men back. He only coughed up 40 heavy horse to Robb's army at the start, iirc.

My guess would be in the region of 400-800 knights and armoured lancers in total.

My prediction for the most powerful non paramount lords are (roughly) in this order:

Hightower

Redwyne

Manderly

Big Gap

Frey

Bolton

Royce

Yronwood

Florent only politically, not militarily

These are pre ASOIAF rankings

Fixed.

No way. If the Hightowers could field three times the numbers of the Manderleys, they would be on par with the Westerlands, somewhat weaker than the North, Vale and Riverlands and heads and shoulders above Dorne, the Stormlands and the Ironborn.

The Redwynes got four times Manderly's navy, but up until now there is no proof that they got any ground force at all.

By the way, there is no way that the Manderly's can field 4,000 heavy horse. That would put their entire strength at about 80,000 men. ~700 heavy horse and ~15,000 altogether is far more likely.

Knights and other forces often were matched 1:20.

I'm always surprised at how little we hear about the Hightowers. Looking at a map of Westeros, one can see the area around Oldtown is geographically distinct from the Reach, which is otherwise entirely the basin of the Mander and her tributaries. I wonder why the Hightowers don't try to play the game at all. Even by abstaining from sending troops to the Tyrells main force they could have had a significant effect on the war of the 5 kings. I suppose the tyrells have done a terriffic job of tying all the major Reach houses to them, otherwise they'd hardly be the kingmakers they've been thus far in ASOIAF.

The Hightowers rule as kings in all but name, with a big "don't interfere, or we will start playing, you don't want that" sign.

Archived