Winter is coming... where?

Riurik Novgorod

I've always wanted to know this as well. Generally, brutal Winter has been associated with Westeros, especially north of The Neck, but after reading and re-reading all the bits of Melisandre and any information on Azor Ahai and I think that Essos will be, and has been affected by Winter. The prophecy of Azor Ahai is pretty much the same as The Last Hero who stopped the Others during the Long Night, and who will do so again.

Essos' history isn't really as fleshed out as the West, but I like to think the majority of its inhabitants and history books didn't really cover or remember The Long Night because most of its history has been focused on the Targaryen family and their Dragons and The Doom of Valyria, both who had much more immediate and significant affects on the continent in recent centuries that would overshadow any old stories about dead people walking thousands of years ago.

Only the Red Priests like Melisandre in the far East, who preach of Azor Ahai come again, seem to remember the Long Night and warn people of it. Just like the Northmen of Westeros and the Night's Watch of the Wall warn people and remain vigilant of winter.

Well, winter doesn't necessarily mean lots and lots and lots of snow. Essos probably has winter too but not as bad as in the North or beyond the Wall. Since we do not know the full detailed history of the Long Night, it's hard to say. Since ASOIAF is full of magic and mystery, anything can happen. However, this upcoming winter and Long Night will be really bad and it will affect everybody, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived