Qyburn and girls

locke and key

Well he probably hand plenty of "subjects" when he was with Vargo Hout.

True but I'd say he can now work under more "normal" conditions, I mean the Brave Companions were after all a mercenary company often on the move etc. Now he has a place to "work" at, he has the support of Cersei and a steady supply of people to experiment with. Of course he runs the danger of someone eventually finding out whats happening, but I guess thats just part of the job.

True but I'd say he can now work under more "normal" conditions, I mean the Brave Companions were after all a mercenary company often on the move etc. Now he has a place to "work" at, he has the support of Cersei and a steady supply of people to experiment with. Of course he runs the danger of someone eventually finding out whats happening, but I guess thats just part of the job.

I've sometimes wondered how much trouble he and/or Cersei would be in, if people became aware of his "experiments".

I daresay they could get away with murdering the puppeteers. but the death of Lady Stokeworth and even Sennelle (who is presumably of similar background to Margaery's Ladies in Waiting) would be legally dangerous for both of them, I should think.

The "eggs" are so small that Quburn will never understand them let alone seperate them from the body.

I believe the "eggs" quote was just a joke. That being said, I recall Maester Luwin obtaining a "Myrish glass" (from the box that contained Lysa's letter to Cat that started the whole Stark vs. Lannister action), which apparently were a pair of lenses he could use as a telescope. If the Myrmen had the technology to make telescopes, they could also make microscope lenses which would be able to resolve human eggs.

I've sometimes wondered how much trouble he and/or Cersei would be in, if people became aware of his "experiments".

I daresay they could get away with murdering the puppeteers. but the death of Lady Stokeworth and even Sennelle (who is presumably of similar background to Margaery's Ladies in Waiting) would be legally dangerous for both of them, I should think.

Yeah agreed. If they killed the wrong person, IE someone who has a connections and a family who wants to avenge them etc, then I am pretty sure that Cersei would sacrifice Qyburn claiming all innocence. Whether someone would actually believe her is another question..

maybe he's doing some kind of living autopsy thing on them, seeing what happens if he takes away this organ, or does something to that one, that was my first thought. that he is experimenting and 'playing' with them, maybe even sexually. perhaps he get off on torture (well im pretty sure he does) maybe he likes to keep them doped up with some kind of herbal -date-rape-drug as it were, perhaps he likes the idea of them feeling pain but not being able to move. I think he might me mix and matching pieces from one girl to the other and seeing what will happen. i'd say a lot of his experiments end in the girls death, seen as he seems to always be in need of more. he is most likely taking off limbs and stuff, due to his experience with amputations (working with/for Vargo Hoat). maybe he has some strange breeding program going on with them, using his own seed and which ever woman seems strong enough to live through his first games of experiments. but he also might just enjoy slowly killing them. he could be simply trying to see what the extent of human bodies can handle, how far gone they can be and still heal, to see just how far the reach of human survival can go. how much blood a person can lose before dying, or how much pain one can tolerate before passing out, or even how long it takes to truly break a person and disturb them beyond repair... but dunno

Qyburn goes to talk about what he's doing down there a few times but Cersei always shuts him up and cuts him off, she always cuts people off before they say something important!

But I'm pretty sure Qyburn mentions that the girls are still alive at one point ages after he got them, pretty much implying that they're going through some unspeakable torture, presumably for some kind of death magic.

Lady Stokeworth "died screaming in the black cells" (according to the Appendix of Dance) so we can assume that Sennelle and the puppeteers suffered a similar fate. Qyburn also told Cersei that she had lost the ability to feed herself before the end, so we can assume that his experiments reduce his victims to a vegetative state before they die.

I think it's also important to remember we were never told that the Mountain actually died. He was poisoned with manticore venom or somesuch and I think Qyburn is using his "subjects" to somehow keep the Mountain alive and functioning as Ser Robert Strong of the King's Guard. At the very least Qyburn may need to periodically perform some sort of blood transfusion because the blood keeps getting poisoned (remember the thick, black blood imagery of Bran's vision). He's very likely performing other "experiments", too.

I think it's also important to remember we were never told that the Mountain actually died. He was poisoned with manticore venom or somesuch and I think Qyburn is using his "subjects" to somehow keep the Mountain alive and functioning as Ser Robert Strong of the King's Guard. At the very least Qyburn may need to periodically perform some sort of blood transfusion because the blood keeps getting poisoned (remember the thick, black blood imagery of Bran's vision). He's very likely performing other "experiments", too.

That sounds plausible. The Khmer Rouge used to drain the blood out of living victims in order to provide blood tranfusions for their soldiers, and I could imagine something like that being done to sustain Ser Robert Strong.

You know, this would seem a lot more plausible (while still creepy as hell) than the "FrankenGregor" theory (which I find/found most likely up until now).

That sounds plausible. The Khmer Rouge used to drain the blood out of living victims in order to provide blood tranfusions for their soldiers, and I could imagine something like that being done to sustain Ser Robert Strong.

Yeah, I'm thinking something like this. Qyburn may not be able to fully neutralize the nasty poison the Red Viper used but he may be able to sort of keep it at bay. I think I remember Qyburn saying that he needed more women, etc. due to the ones he had becoming "exhausted". Also, I don't believe Ser Robert Strong is walking around without a head. I think the skull sent to Dorne was a fake. If Qyburn is going through a lot of blood and that blood becomes corrupted from the poison (i.e. thick, black blood) then I think that's maybe where the symbolic imagery of Bran's vision is coming from.

I wonder how the Sparrows would respond to knowing Cersei condoned necromancy in the King's City.

I agree with the theory that Qyburn is keeping the Mountain alive rather than having necro'd him back to life. It makes sense.

Qyburn performs vivisection rather than autopsies - his victims are living when he dissects them rather than dead. If he were Necromancing you'd think he'd want to perform experiments on dead people more than live ones, but he's interested in how to prevent death, preserve life, the process of dying and so forth.

The one thing that kind of kills that theory is that there are several hints that the Mountain no longer has a head.

- Bran's dream of a stone giant who removes its helm and there's nothing but black blood

- Strong never speaks or takes off his helmet

- The Mountain's skull was supposedly seen and transported

- Strong doesn't need food or water (and as a result has no need for a privy)

Bran's dream is probably the strongest circumstancial evidence against that theory. Strong's lack of speech could come from lacking a head, damaged vocal cords, or he might not need or want to talk. The skull could have belonged to anyone, although it might have been tough to find someone the same size as him (it's remarked the skull looks to be the right size). If he is alive rather than dead you'd think he'd need food but if he's being kept alive by magic or potions or for that matter blood transfusions or some other weird means he wouldn't need to.

As for the girls, I have no idea why he's experimenting on women when he's trying to make an unbeatable champion. My best guess is that people care more about what happens to sons and brothers than what happens to daughters and sisters, and that Cersei's handmaidens are easy prey because they're old enough that someone could lie and say they ran off with some boy and Cersei is obviously co-operating with Qyburn so it's easier to obtain them and raises less questions than kidnapping might.

Archived