[Book Spoilers] EP303 Discussion

Ran

Its all good...except...I'm disappointed that all the big events occur off-screen. They need to up their CGI budget in the Batlle of Blackwater mode...maybe use a bit of the renderman LOTR software to get some scope to the events. It seems a bit claustrophobic. For example, the huge White Walker army at the end of Season 2. From what we can see, most of the NW are walking casually back to Wall. Seems to me that battle could have been "easily" CGI-ed. Not too hopeful of any future scope to the visuals.

Its all good...except...I'm disappointed that all the big events occur off-screen. They need to up their CGI budget in the Batlle of Blackwater mode...maybe use a bit of the renderman LOTR software to get some scope to the events. It seems a bit claustrophobic. For example, the huge White Walker army at the end of Season 2. From what we can see, most of the NW are walking casually back to Wall. Seems to me that battle could have been "easily" CGI-ed. Not too hopeful of any future scope to the visuals.

They dont have nearly enough budget. CGI is ridiculously expensive, and the show is already the most expensive on TV. The battle at the fist couldn't have easily been done without cutting portions from the rest of the series. Which is not to say that they couldn't have done something better, maybe shown a couple of Nightwatchmen being slaughtered. I think the claustrophobic battle sequences is actually something that reflects the book, as we only see battles from certain characters POV, from the point of view of soldiers on the ground, making it a more visceral experience.

Also LOL Dany owes Barristan NOTHING, and she'd EASILY win Westeros without him. She has three dragons; one knight isn't going to make a difference. So maybe you should think a little bit harder before you post anything about Daenerys in future.

That would have been pretty difficult if she was dead.

Is there a reason Jorah (or one of her other bloodriders) couldn't have saved her? The only reason he didn't in the show was because Barristan distracted him and then beat him to it.

I thought you were talking about in the books, but i think it applies to the show as well.

Would the ball have been knocked from her hand if Barristan hadn't intervened? No. Therefore, he saved her life.

He saved her life. But she has other bloodriders who could to that too.

The bloodriders could do that, but they havent. Barristan actually saved Daenarys's life, therefore, she owes Barristan. If he did in fact save her life, I don't understand how you can argue that Daenarys doesnt owe Barristan anything.

Haha ya I totally agree, infact the whole point I was trying to make is that Drogon is most definitely not fully grown yet, compared to Aegon l's Balerion the dread who Drogon is said to be the reincarnation of.

Anyone know how long it took Balerion to reach physical maturity? Years? Decades? Dany could be waiting a long time. In terms of development, ADWD-Drogon could still be a young adolescent.

Anyone know how long it took Balerion to reach physical maturity? Years? Decades? Dany could be waiting a long time. In terms of development, ADWD-Drogon could still be a young adolescent.

Again that's my whole point in saying that ppl can't really say that if Aegon l took Weseros with his three dragon's then Dany can do it the same way he did it. Because Dany's dragons are not even in the same league as Aegon l and his sister's dragons in terms of physical development. Look I'm not saying they wouldn't be an extremely destructive force in Westeros, I'm just sayin to treat them as if they are exactly like Aegon l and his sister's dragons seems a bit absurd.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Again that's my whole point in saying that ppl can't really say that if Aegon l took Weseros with his three dragon's then Dany can do it the same way he did it. Because Dany's dragons are not even in the same league as Aegon l and his sister's dragons in terms of physical development. Look I'm not saying they wouldn't be an extremely destructive force in Westeros, I'm just sayin to treat them as if they are exactly like Aegon l and his sister's dragons seems a bit absurd.

It is a point George has never clarified.

I think the only thing we know is , what George has said in the books, they grow fast, I think Jorah says something like that E1 this season. George has said if they are kept in captivity they won't grow much at all and turn out to be useless.

Free ranging dragons apparently get as big as one could imagine, but GRRM has not defined 'fast'.

Some debate about how big Drogon is at the end of ADWD, he can kill and eat a horse , at the end of another year would that be an elephant or a whale?

It is a point George has never clarified.

I think the only thing we know is , what George has said in the books, they grow fast, I think Jorah says something like that E1 this season. George has said if they are kept in captivity they won't grow much at all and turn out to be useless.

Free ranging dragons apparently get as big as one could imagine, but GRRM has not defined 'fast'.

Some debate about how big Drogon is at the end of ADWD, he can kill and eat a horse , at the end of another year would that be an elephant or a whale?

Well Balerion the Dread was born in Valyria and was one of the five dragons Aenar Targaryen brought with him when he fled Dragonstone, so it was well over a hundred years old when Aegon l began his conquest. GRRM has said dragons grow throughout their lives until they die, so based on that I highly doubt Drogon will ever reach the size on Balerion at any point in the books unless GRRM does some sort of major time skip to the future at the end or something.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Well Balerion the Dread was born in Valyria and was one of the five dragons Aenar Targaryen brought with him when he fled Dragonstone, so it was well over a hundred years old when Aegon l began his conquest. GRRM has said dragons grow throughout their lives until they die, so based on that I highly doubt Drogon will ever reach the size on Balerion at any point in the books unless GRRM does some sort of major time skip to the future at the end or something.

Assuming, of course, that there was space enough on Dragonstone for five dragons to roam free and eat as much as they wanted...

Assuming, of course, that there was space enough on Dragonstone for five dragons to roam free and eat as much as they wanted...

I think living for well over a century makes up for the roaming free part, besides who's to say it had to roam free in Westeros as oppose to the other side of the narrow sea since Dragonstone wasn't even considered to be in Westeros at that point. Plus Aegon l used Balerion in battle before his conquest of Westeros in the war with Volantis after which he returned to Dragonstone, so obviously Balerion had some outdoor time. Besides how much free time do you think Drogon is gonna get?

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Is that 'hundreds of years' info directly from the books?

I can't find it on the Wiki.

George finds hyperbole hard to resist, if a dragon lived for thousands of years even Martin physics on Martin World would make the damn thing bigger than the planet it lived on!

I am just guessing , but George probably has in mind that there is some asymptotic size to a dragon , I mean it could be HUGE, but if to big might not even be able to get off the ground.

Anyway I point out again, from the evidence GRRM has given us, it's only speculation on how fast free dragons grow.

Blue Whales (the largest animal ever to exist on Earth) are almost fully grown at 1.5 years, an astonishing number!

Blue Whales can be nearly 100 ft long and weigh 200 tons by 2 years and are fully mature at 5 years.

At the rate GRRM is writing these novels these dragons might get very big! ;)

Is that 'hundreds of years' info directly from the books?

I can't find it on the Wiki.

George finds hyperbole hard to resist, if a dragon lived for thousands of years even Martin physics on Martin World would make the damn thing bigger than the planet it lived on!

I am just guessing , but George probably has in mind that there is some asymptotic size to a dragon , I mean it could be HUGE, but if to big might not even be able to get off the ground.

Anyway I point out again, from the evidence GRRM has given us, it's only speculation on how fast free dragons grow.

Blue Whales (the largest animal ever to exist on Earth) are almost fully grown at 1.5 years, an astonishing number!

Blue Whales can be nearly 100 ft long and weigh 200 tons by 2 years and are fully mature at 5 years.

At the rate GRRM is writing these novels these dragons might get very big! ;)

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Balerion

Again Balerian was born in Valyria and was brought to Dragonstone by Aenar. Ageon began his conquest over a century after that, so you do the math lol...

Edited by Jon Icefyre

The bloodriders could do that, but they havent. Barristan actually saved Daenarys's life, therefore, she owes Barristan. If he did in fact save her life, I don't understand how you can argue that Daenarys doesnt owe Barristan anything.

Sure, in the book, possibly. But in the book it was a sorrowful man, not a little child-warlock.

And in the show, her blood-riders are dead.

As to Dany owing Baristan her life.... i don't think so. He was only doing it to gain her acceptance so he might have a chance to apologise for failing her family. He is loyal to her, as a member of her Queens guard, but saving her is his duty.

Dany doesn't owe him anymore than any Queen owes her protectors.

Sure, in the book, possibly. But in the book it was a sorrowful man, not a little child-warlock.

And in the show, her blood-riders are dead.

As to Dany owing Baristan her life.... i don't think so. He was only doing it to gain her acceptance so he might have a chance to apologise for failing her family. He is loyal to her, as a member of her Queens guard, but saving her is his duty.

Dany doesn't owe him anymore than any Queen owes her protectors.

Yes but once again in the tv series her situation with Ser Barristan is much different than normal kings and queens have with Kg members. Unlike all the other past king and queens that have come into their kingdom already having the resources to rule, or in Robert's case multiple regions and bannermen in the realm to lean on while to try to take the throne, Dany does not. She's starting from nothing in a foreign land and the only people she has right now are ser Jorah, Ser Barristan and a few Dothraki remnants and of course her three pup dragons. Ser Barristian is with her at a time where she has no other real support whatsoever, so her situation is much different than any other past king or queen of Westeros.

Edited by Jon Icefyre