[Book Spoilers] Events that will happen in this episode.

Outside of "they were in the books" is there a good, solid reason why the show should bother to cast either Willas or Garlan? They're both relatively useless and play no part in the proceedings. It's one of the many necessary consolidating character cuts the show needs to make.

In fact, you could even make an argument that Mace Tyrell doesn't absolutely have to be on the show although he's been namechecked already this season so there's a very good chance he'll appear in Season 4.

You misunderstood me. I meant that considering that Willas doesn't appear on-screen, his name can still be called upon as they won't have to cast anyone to play a mentioned character..duh. In situations where there's no need to cast actors I think they should follow the book names instead of replacing the said character.

You misunderstood me. I meant that considering that Willas doesn't appear on-screen, his name can still be called upon as they won't have to cast anyone to play a mentioned character..duh. In situations where there's no need to cast actors I think they should follow the book names instead of replacing the said character.

But if the people who think that Loras will be forced into the Kingsguard because of the plot to marry him to Sansa are right, then that will finally give Finn Jones something to do. He's been pretty much a glorified extra this season so far.

I read a review that stated one if the most intense scenes was with Varys and Tyrion where Varys describes how he was cut. If the critics only got 1-4 then we're in for a powerful scene. I don't remember GRRM describing this in the books, but my memory is for shit anyway. Anyone remember?

I guess they could but I also think the show should avoid namechecking characters that they aren't going to bother to show at some point. There are literally hundreds of characters the audience is being asked to follow and adding another one to the mix that doesn't end up appearing muddies the waters even more.

Additionally, they've already developed the character of Loras and he is familiar to the audience. He doesn't have a ton to do this season otherwise so why not connect him to Sansa for this plot (especially since there is already a clear link with them that was established previously)?

I like the idea that we have a stark contrast in Sansa's betrothal options. Loras is the idealized "knight in shining armour" that she has always idolized and she is going to have that possibility ripped from her in favour of Tyrion. You need this contrast to justify Sansa's disgust and/or uneasiness with Tyrion since he's actually been pretty damn decent to her on the show. We need to understand why she is not going to treat Tyrion sympathetically and having him instead of some unseen cripple in a place she's never been doesn't really do it. Making it more about her being denied Loras seems more logical.

I read a review that stated one if the most intense scenes was with Varys and Tyrion where Varys describes how he was cut. If the critics only got 1-4 then we're in for a powerful scene. I don't remember GRRM describing this in the books, but my memory is for shit anyway. Anyone remember?

Yes, though I can't remember which book. He basically had his cock chopped off so some magician could perform some dark magic. That's why in the Blackwater episode from last season we get a foreshadowing of this conversation when Varys asks Tyrion if he ever told him how he was cut and goes on to state that Stannis has taken up with a red priestest from Ashai who knows the dark arts, and that he could think of no one worse to sit upon the iron chair.

A lot of people expect it to be changed for the TV show.

Also, the preview makes it pretty obvious that the Beric/Hound fight will be in episode 4. I was hoping to meet Beric earlier.

Someone on here pointed out last week that it works better for viewers if they use Loras in the show. Nobody has any idea who Willas is and Sansa has had a crush on Loras since season 1. It makes it much worse for Sansa when Tyrion is forced on her.

isnt loras apart of the kingsguard???

so that wouldnt be allowed right?

being betrothed to sansa

isnt loras apart of the kingsguard???

so that wouldnt be allowed right?

being betrothed to sansa

Loras is not part of the Kingsguard. We of course know now why it has been omitted or delayed. I think it would make a lot of sense for him to appointed there later this season as a way to block the Sansa betrothal once the Lannisters catch wind of it.

Loras is not part of the Kingsguard. We of course know now why it has been omitted or delayed. I think it would make a lot of sense for him to appointed there later this season as a way to block the Sansa betrothal once the Lannisters catch wind of it.

ahhh yes he has been promised to joined it but hasn't been placed on it yet now i remember.

Good point

ahhh yes he has been promised to joined it but hasn't been placed on it yet now i remember.

Good point

Actually, as far as the show goes, he hasn't joined or been asked. In book timelines, I think he got appointed when Joffrey was dishing out the awards after Blackwater in ACoK. On the show, they had that scene but when Loras spoke, he simply followed the Lannister/Tyrell script and asked for Margaery to be betrothed to Joffrey. No Kingsguard.

I imagine that he will join eventually though and as I said, my suspicion is that he'll be forced into it to get him out of the picture once the Lannisters figure out what the Tyrell's are up to with Sansa.

On what happens to Loras after the Loras/Sansa engagement presumably falls through (spoilers for TV show):

In the big Entertainment Weekly feature, the journalist described the filming of Sansa's wedding. There was an exchange between Cersei and Margaery the journalist mentioned. Margaery said (to Cersei) something along the lines of "We'll be sisters soon," and Cersei shoots back "Call me your sister again and I'll strangle you in your sleep."

Mother and daughter, for sure, since Cersei will become Margaery's mother-in-law, but sisters? The only way the "sisters" line makes sense--assuming the journalist heard properly and isn't making stuff up--is if Loras and Cersei are indeed betrothed, however briefly, since that would make Cersei and Margeaery sisters-in-law.

There's a shot in a few of the featurettes of Loras storming away from a dinner with the QOT, Margaery and some others and then glaring down balefully at everyone. I thought it was from Sansa and Tyrion's wedding, but it could also be the following: after the QOT has told Loras he's to marry Sansa, or after he's been informed he's to marry Cersei instead. I'm pretty sure either option would piss him off, although Cersei probably more so, LOL.

I kind of like the idea of a Loras/Cersei engagement. There would be some epic bitchface going on, I think.

More spoilers for the TV show re: Loras:

Finn Jones mentioned in an interview that he was vastly relieved that he wouldn't have to wear armour this season. So either he joins the Kingsguard and disappears, or he only joins the Kingsguard at the very end of the season.

gendry and edric storm have been combined into one character in the tv show, thats where melisandre is going (she never left stannis in the books apart from blackwater and when he goes to save winterfell), she is going to the riverlands to find gendry to bring him back to stannis so he can be leeched and begin the process of killing joff, balon and robb

On what happens to Loras after the Loras/Sansa engagement presumably falls through (spoilers for TV show):

In the big Entertainment Weekly feature, the journalist described the filming of Sansa's wedding. There was an exchange between Cersei and Margaery the journalist mentioned. Margaery said (to Cersei) something along the lines of "We'll be sisters soon," and Cersei shoots back "Call me your sister again and I'll strangle you in your sleep."

Mother and daughter, for sure, since Cersei will become Margaery's mother-in-law, but sisters? The only way the "sisters" line makes sense--assuming the journalist heard properly and isn't making stuff up--is if Loras and Cersei are indeed betrothed, however briefly, since that would make Cersei and Margeaery sisters-in-law.

There's a shot in a few of the featurettes of Loras storming away from a dinner with the QOT, Margaery and some others and then glaring down balefully at everyone. I thought it was from Sansa and Tyrion's wedding, but it could also be the following: after the QOT has told Loras he's to marry Sansa, or after he's been informed he's to marry Cersei instead. I'm pretty sure either option would piss him off, although Cersei probably more so, LOL.

I kind of like the idea of a Loras/Cersei engagement. There would be some epic bitchface going on, I think.

That would definitely be interesting.

Actually, the fight between Beric and Sandor is happening in episode 5, according to the synopsis.

Ramsay betraying Theon.

Sansa and Loras betrothal

Arya meeting Beric

Jaime and Brienne arrive at Harrenhal

Does this mean we get some Roose?

Melisandre coming to the brotherhood because of her fires to sacrifice Gendry for his kings blood or at the very least taking him back to DragonStone. So his character will be a mix of Gendry and Edric Storm. I feel like it wil be either this episode or the next.

I'm re-reading ASoS at the moment and I just read the scene where Melisandre tosses the leeches with edric storms blood into the fire. There are three: one for Balon Greyjoy, one for Joeffrey and one for Robb. I think that this is a cool image and it would make a great scene.

For this to happen Genry would have to be wounded somehow (perhaps during the fight Beric vs. Hound). Melisandre brings the leeches back to Dragenstone and 'poof poof poof'. And it would also be great forshadowing for the series-only audience.

That would definitely be interesting.

This is pure speculation on my part but could it be that:

Loras + Sansa wedding is planned but

Lannisters not just outsmart the Tyrrels but offer an alternative arrangement:

Sansa marries Tyrion

but Loras is bethrothed to Sersei

(or Sersei can be bethrothed to Willas - who is mentioned but never shown)

I'm re-reading ASoS at the moment and I just read the scene where Melisandre tosses the leeches with edric storms blood into the fire. There are three: one for Balon Greyjoy, one for Joeffrey and one for Robb. I think that this is a cool image and it would make a great scene.

For this to happen Genry would have to be wounded somehow (perhaps during the fight Beric vs. Hound). Melisandre brings the leeches back to Dragenstone and 'poof poof poof'. And it would also be great forshadowing for the series-only audience.

Selyse and Shereen have been cast - so they must show them sooner or later - thus I think Mel will bring Gendry to the Dragonstone

Shereen can befriend Gendry and by the end Mels true intentions are revealed

season ends with Gendry escaping with help of Davos (thus fully following Edric Storm story) or if they decide to make even greater alterations - maybe Davos manages to influence Staniss and Gendry is spared.. and even taken to the wall next season

Archived