Dany's "Godfather" Moment

When Dany basically said don't let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking ever again to Mormont and Selmy, I was waiting for Fat Clemenza to come out and slit somebody's throat. Anybody else catch that?

(null)

Yep. That is one thing I learned. Also, if you doubt who's speaking, don't let it be known then, let it be known afterwards in confidence. They both underminded Queen Dany and made her seem weak.

She is a child, but she's learning. She's a different person after Qarth and her first victory at The House of The Undying.

For me, it wasn't a "Godfather" reference.

but if you consider the others having their own godfather moment in the same episode.

so the others are vito, and dany is michael. jorah is fredo. mormont is the movie producer. any others?

I loved this! Emilia is really doing a great job, I hope the monumental amount of her ''haters'' notice how great she's shaping up this season too.

While I wouldn't necessarily call myself a Dany 'hater' I did dislike her latest POV's in ADWD, and am hoping for better in the future.

That said, Emilia really did wonderfully, and Dany is shining in this episode.

Her S2 arc was problematic. Meeting the Unsullied this season was always the opportunity to show strength. Pretty safe that Emilia is going to give it her best shot as long as they let her have a good script.

Definitely. Looking forward to seeing it.

But you see Jorah and Selmy both reacting in horror at her offer of a dragon made it seem more genuine.

And her reprimanding them on her way out within earshot of the slaver's minions would make it seem even more credible.

She's playing the role of a stupid wilful little princess ignoring the wise counsel of her elders. Kraznys would buy into that, in fact it matches perfectly the way he describes her.

Emilia really isn't that bad, I think a lot of people confuse the material she's given to work with with her actual acting. Her voice gets a little cracky and screechy when she tried to be authorative but otherwise I like her a lot. She's made me care for post-AGoT Dany more than I did before, anyway. I don't think anyone could've made her S2 arc bearable.

Her and Missandei's little moment where she realizes Dany knew what they were saying the whole time was cute, understated and well-done. And Jorah and Barristan's dick-waving contest is hilarious. Her stuff this season is going to be great.

Yeah - I thought that, too.

Dany wasn't channeling Don Vito Corleone, since Vito wasn't the one who had that moment; she was channeling Michael Corleone, who reprimanded dumb Fredo for publicly taking Moe Green's side.

"Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever."

It was definitely an homage to The Godfather. That's one of the most famous lines from the movie, and it was almost an exact quote. Anyone who thinks that it wasn't is a retard. If someone is producing/directing/writing GoT, and they put a line like that in the show, it's not a coincidence. The Godfather is the movie of the 20th Century, and Sony betraying the interest of his father in front of the Turk was pretty much the most important scene in the movie, because that's what sets off the whole chain of events. It's simply impossible to write a line like that and not be referencing The Godfather. Now, if the whole Danny story line in this episode is a Godfather allegory, that's debatable. But whether or not that line was a direct reference to The Godfather is not debatable. It's a fact.

Actually it was Vito lecturing Sonny after a conversation with Sollozzo. "What's the matter with you? I think your brain is going soft with all that comedy you are playing with that young girl. Never tell anyone outside the family what you are thinking again." I think Michael learned from this but the reference is Vito's.

But you see Jorah and Selmy both reacting in horror at her offer of a dragon made it seem more genuine.

And her reprimanding them on her way out within earshot of the slaver's minions would make it seem even more credible.

She's playing the role of a stupid wilful little princess ignoring the wise counsel of her elders. Kraznys would buy into that, in fact it matches perfectly the way he describes her.

This is basically what I was going to post but you beat me to it! I really like that Dany reprimanded Mormont and Selmy and reminded them who's boss in no uncertain terms but, in this one instance, it actually works to her advantage because it helps in the ruse she is playing with Kraznys. She needs him to continue thinking she's just a little girl in way over her head for just a little while longer (although he's so dense that probably nothing would change his outlook) ;)

Archived