Gendry + Arya = Union of fire and ice?

AznCruiser

They aren't flame resistant, but they definitely have a higher tolerance to heat. In the Dunk&Egg stories, Duncan mentions that Aegon likes his baths scalding hot.

ETA:

I know a lot of people who like hot baths and are not Targs. Also a lot of Targs who are not mentioned to have any special "relations" with heat and fire. As lady m says, speculating is fine, but up to this point we have no evidence or examples of any Targ ever being fireproof, resistant, tolerant or whatever uncommon "thing" with fire, and quite a few examples that show us the other way - that they are completely normal in this regard.

I love the idea of an eventual Arya/Gendry pairing, if only because he knows the real HER and won't be courting her for reasons of place, but I am one who sees Jon and Ice and Fire all by his lonesome.

And I don't see Arya as associated with fire at all. I see her element as water (yes, ice is frozen water), but Arya the water dancer crossed the water, traveled upon the water, and she is the Stark that is 'flowing' as water does--she keeps being rerouted in the things she tries to do, as water does. But keep in mind water, in the long run, shapes continents. It just takes the long route.

(along those lines, Sansa is air)

I know a lot of people who like hot baths and are not Targs. Also a lot of Targs who are not mentioned to have any special "relations" with heat and fire. As lady m says, speculating is fine, but up to this point we have no evidence or examples of any Targ ever being fireproof, resistant, tolerant or whatever uncommon "thing" with fire, and quite a few examples that show us the other way - that they are completely normal in this regard.

I was just pointing out that the two most high-profile Targs we've seen in the ASOIAF world this far have both been noted to have high tolerance to heat in the form of scalding water. I was NOT saying that the Targs are fire-resistant - which has been disproven numerous times in books and interviews.

I love the idea of an eventual Arya/Gendry pairing, if only because he knows the real HER and won't be courting her for reasons of place, but I am one who sees Jon and Ice and Fire all by his lonesome.

Nope, I see this too, if his lineage is correct. The death paying for life may also be true for Jon if Lyanna died giving birth to him, much like Dany's mother died giving birth to her.

Facepalm and more facepalms. I fear I'm going to have to start a Arya/Jon thread very soon.

Nope no need to facepalm, I already did that...................my mind was thinking of two different things lol.

I do agree with Jon as Ice and Fire though...........and the best candidate since he has Targ and Stark blood (if its true).

But I wouldnt mind if its Arya-Gendry......I like both characters esp Arya. Hopefully her life gets a bit easier, shes gone through so much........taking it all in her strides.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think that Arya looks at Gendry in this way - I think she sees him as a substitute for Jon. In other words - as a brother.

And Gendry does have Targaryen blood in him - through Robert's grandmother.

Btw, are you familiar with the RLJ theory?

I wonder if she spent such a long time staring at Jon when he was shirtless and describing in great detail his body and how dangerous he looked?

I sure hope not. I despise the idea of Arya and Gendry together just because she bonded with him during her horrific experiences in the Riverlands. She's extremely young I don't get why so many are obsessed with pairing her with a boy she met when she was nine.

I wonder if she spent such a long time staring at Jon when he was shirtless and describing in great detail his body and how dangerous he looked?

By your standards then Arya was interested in Jaqen because she noticed how he smelled. In fact that's far more intimate in my opinion that noticing that Gendry was muscled considering she takes note of peoples appearances all the time.

It's a really nice theory. She definitely never saw him that way; she's only a child and was never interested in boys to begin with. Maybe when she grows up... but now she's gonna be a Faceless Woman. I don't think she will ever be able to marry or even have a lover if she becomes one.

Or maybe she'll find out she's a lesbian. Anything can happen.

I tend to think that if Arya was meant to become a lesbian, then we'd have had some indications of that by now. Maybe as her being particularly tender towards girls, or something. I think most people are already aware of their preferences years before ever reaching puberty.

I'm on the fence with this one. Liking hot baths is certainly not enough to denote magical properties of a certain family, but when Dany cows Drogon it seems to me that she should have been burned:

Dany swung the lash at his scaled belly, back and forth until her arm began to ache.

His long serpentine neck bent like an archer's bow. With a hissssss, he spat black fire down at her.

Dany darted underneath the flames, swinging the whip...

I guess I could have just misunderstood the phrase, but Drogon's flame is black, so it must be pretty hot/magical. She did lose her hair, and had some burns on her hands, but it ties in with the bath thing; they are not immune, they just have a very high tolerance.

I'm on the fence with this one. Liking hot baths is certainly not enough to denote magical properties of a certain family, but when Dany cows Drogon it seems to me that she should have been burned:

I guess I could have just misunderstood the phrase, but Drogon's flame is black, so it must be pretty hot/magical. She did lose her hair, and had some burns on her hands, but it ties in with the bath thing; they are not immune, they just have a very high tolerance.

That's the way I first read it as well, as a case of unreliable narrator in which she, herself, didn't realize just how close she was to the flames and simply dismisses the thought. It was my interpretation that she had basically just ran through hellfire right there. Do people normally really have so little reaction to having their hair burned off?

That's the way I first read it as well, as a case of unreliable narrator in which she, herself, didn't realize just how close she was to the flames and simply dismisses the thought. It was my interpretation that she had basically just ran through hellfire right there. Do people normally really have so little reaction to having their hair burned off?

I think "darted underneath" here should be read as "ducked under" and not the she was operating from under or within the flames.

We don't know how close it was, given my interpretation is correct, so we can't really say should she have been burned or not. What we can say for sure is that Dany herself didn't think she could resist Drogon's flames, so she ducked.

I think "darted underneath" here should be read as "ducked under" and not the she was operating from under or within the flames.

We don't know how close it was, given my interpretation is correct, so we can't really say should she have been burned or not. What we can say for sure is that Dany herself didn't think she could resist Drogon's flames, so she ducked.

Or it was purely reflexive. Or it was so that her clothes or whip wouldn't burn. Or it was because a certain higher degree of tolerance doesn't presuppose immunity.

So when Daenarys sits on Drogo funeral pyre while its on fire to birth the dragons for an extended period of time and while she is flying Drogon, Barristan said her hair was on fire, she is unharmed after both these events

Now the book doesnt explicitly say that they are immune/resistant to fire, but there are some pretty strong implications

specifically talking about daenarys i should add, not targs in general

Regarding Dany being inmune to fire: she is not, when she goes to Drogon in the fighting pits his breath blisters her skin, and later she has burns in her skin. This thread talks about Dany and her not being inmune to fire.

About Arya and Gendry: I think that something could have happened after growing up is she had stayed with the BWB, but not anymore, Arya has changed a lot and even if she goes back to being Arya Stark I think she will be very different from the girl she used to be, and Gendry looked very bitter in Brienne's chapter, so he probably has changed a lot too. And even if Arya could represent ice, I don't think Gendry or the Baratheons represent Fire.

Archived