Am I missing Something about the Great Other?

Am I missing something? I have heard a lot of talk throughout the forums that a character will confront the Great Other (mainly Jon or Bran).

I don't understand where this is coming from (or how this would actually occur)

Personally I don't even think we will see 'The Great Other' otherwise wouldn't it be possible to encounter R'hllor, physically?

Am I missing something? I have heard a lot of talk throughout the forums that a character will confront the Great Other (mainly Jon or Bran).

I don't understand where this is coming from (or how this would actually occur)

Personally I don't even think we will see 'The Great Other' otherwise wouldn't it be possible to encounter R'hllor, physically?

Yep, you're missing that people tend to believe in physical gods, both about real world, and about ASOIAF, for some reason.

Of course we won't be seing a uber-Other god... Or any god for that matter.

Well, there's also no solid evidence that The Others and The Great Other are the same thing. This might be GRRM playing semantical word games.

Yes, this too. She mentiones Great Other and people imagine... A big Other. I doubt they would have if his name was J'rhmolo or something. Just like they don't imagine Rhlorr as a big dragon.

I think this is true that people miss interrupt it as a being, i think the battle will be the followers of Rhollor and The Others who follow the Great Others. If their is a "Significant Other" it might be a priest of The Great Other the same a Rhollor being represented by the Red priest mostly Mel at the moment.

Yeah I don't get it either. Melisandre is the only person who talks about the "great other" because it's the evil counterpart of Rh'llor. That doesn't mean theres actually going to be a great other in the story, people just associate it with the "others". I doubt we're meeting any deities in the story.

But thats the cause for all the theories about who the great other is. its funny because there are other religions in the books that people don't expect will turn out to be a person. you never see theories like "euron greyjoy is the storm god, and here's why" or "who is the smith". Just because Melisandre sees bloodraven in a vision and ties it to the others doesn't mean there is a great other, she's just a fanatic.

I think this is true that people miss interrupt it as a being, i think the battle will be the followers of Rhollor and The Others who follow the Great Others. If their is a "Significant Other" it might be a priest of The Great Other the same a Rhollor being represented by the Red priest mostly Mel at the moment.

This presumes R'hllor is a force for good in world, which again, not a presumption I make.

Why the hell do people believe Rh'llor is the one true God just because it's related to fire? I think Melisandre is an idiot who has no idea what she's talking about. Sure she sees things in her flames, but she doesn't even interpretate them properly.

Sorry, I just happen to hate all this R'hllor vs The Great Other thing people think the series will be about in the end. We haven't seen such thing as a supernatural God showing up, what makes you think we will in the next two books? And why should it be R'hllor's followers? Do you really think Jon Snow will follow R'hllor? I think you're completely wrong.

Sorry, I just happen to hate all this R'hllor vs The Great Other thing people think the series will be about in the end. We haven't seen such thing as a supernatural God showing up, what makes you think we will in the next two books?

What do you call Bran looking through the eyes of the weirwood trees? He my not be as infallable and "god-like" as what we would normally think of as a god, but it seems to me Bran and Bloodraven are the old gods that the North worships.

I've always had the feeling that GRRM is trying to show us that the masses will believe what they want to believe...."power resides...ya-ya"....but in the end there really is no one true religion. And people will base their interpretation of "God(s)" the way they want to believe it, whether its a force of all good, all bad, and/or all powerful.

I think the red comet was GRRM's way of foreshadowing the whole question of religion in Westeros (North and South) and the Free cities and that it can be interpreted any number of ways. One person's "Great Other" is another person's "Stranger" - it doesn't necessarily manifests itself in an actual physical/magical being.

Religion has always been just that, it gives people an outlet for hope in a grim and sometimes harsh world.

There is something that Bran saw whilst unconscious in Game of Thrones in the Land of Always Winter that probably needs destroying

No, he saw something that made him cry out in fear but we're never told what that was. Given that everything else he saw in that vision was more or less in real time, my own theory is that he cried out in fear not because he saw the demon king surrounded by the legions of hell, but because he saw the future.

No, he saw something that made him cry out in fear but we're never told what that was. Given that everything else he saw in that vision was more or less in real time, my own theory is that he cried out in fear not because he saw the demon king surrounded by the legions of hell, but because he saw the future.

What don't you believe, that R'hllor Is the God of fire? Or That R'hllor is good.

Archived