"Jaime Lannister sends his regards" *spoilers*

Bastard of Balmora

Can't seem to get the proper combination of words into a search engine for a decent discussion about this, so I'll just ask...

Do you think Jaime was just being his usual flippant and arrogant self with that remark, or did he understand the subtext of their conversation and directly encourage Roose to murder Robb? (mind you, I realize whatever Roose had planned was still going to happen with our without Jaime's quips) I always figured that Jaime was just being a dick, and that Roose took it a bit too literally in the end. Now, I'm beginning to think Jaime did understand what Roose was implying (because I think Roose mentions his treachery at Duskendale during his conversation with Jaime) and that when the time came Jaime wanted Roose to salt the wound with a reference to the Kingslayer that got away...basically what I'm getting at is that even though Jaime didn't know the Red Wedding would happen, he had to know some serious betrayal was about to occur...so I don't think Jaime should be exempt completely from the impact of Roose's line when he murders Robb as just a "Oh he was kidding..." scenario

Also, did Roose knowingly take it too far and basically implicate/condemn Jaime in front of everyone, even though Jaime really had nothing to do with orchestrating the Red Wedding? Seems like an unwise move for a man as smart as Roose. Then again he couldn't have known Catelyn would come back to life...

Also, did Roose knowingly take it too far and basically implicate/condemn Jaime in front of everyone, even though Jaime really had nothing to do with orchestrating the Red Wedding? Seems like an unwise move for a man as smart as Roose. Then again he couldn't have known Catelyn would come back to life...

Sure he did. Roose would only win from implying Lannister involvement, as it shifts the focus of public outrage away from him. There were plenty of witnesses other than Catelyn and the story would spread, meaning that Tywin can't keep his name clean by turning poor Freys&Boltons into scapgoats of his machinations. By using Jaime's own words he can even honestly say he hasn't actually blamed anyone.

Give my regards to your father.

So long as you give mine to Robb Stark.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Roose set up this conversation on purpose. It isn't even Jaime being a dick, just a standard answer Roose might expect from someone like him.

I think it sets up Jaime's current situation with the leader of the BWoB quite nicely. Such a flippant remark ended up being the last thing Cats son heard before he died, so he is in trouble there. It adds to the trend also that Jaime gets the blame for things, we as the reader know he doesn't deserve.

Futher discussion is needed as to why Roose took Jaime's words so seriously, maybe thats just the type of man he is - but I would guess that there is more to it than that.

Futher discussion is needed as to why Roose took Jaime's words so seriously, maybe thats just the type of man he is - but I would guess that there is more to it than that.

He wasn't taking it seriously. It was just an amusing little dig he got in (being "polite" while killing his King), and an ode to the realm's only other Kingslayer.

• 1 month later...

I think it sets up Jaime's current situation with the leader of the BWoB quite nicely. Such a flippant remark ended up being the last thing Cats son heard before he died, so he is in trouble there. It adds to the trend also that Jaime gets the blame for things, we as the reader know he doesn't deserve.

This may be true... but remember... he did push Bran off the tower to cover up his incest... so he's not all innocent.

Everytime I start liking him I keep telling myself this.

I'm wondering if Roose Bolton thinks Jaime is in on it and then takes it literally? I think the most plausible explanation is that Jaime was just being wry and Roose then thought it would be funny (or to place blame) to actually deliver the message. (first post!)

You guys missed one important detail that Arya or Sansa(maybe even Bran) reflect on at some point later in the book: Bolton's used to capture and flay Starks in the days of old.

They have bad blood through history and a Clash of Kings paints an ugly picture for this house as a treacherous house. Just look at the company they keep: Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions.

No this was Roose plotting with the Frey's. Roose said it to Catelyn expecting her to live(A hostage if I'm not mistaken). Robb was the only one that was supposed to die. Roose was going to put that image into cats head but she went batshit and they killed her.

I have more of a question regarding the final blow to Robb, as opposed to a reply to this thread. I love these books and I have just started A Dance with Dragons. I do miss many of the context clues though so I'm planning on starting all over when I finish. Anyway, is it absolutely, 100% confirmed that it was Roose Bolton who delivered the fatal blow to Robb? I did re-read the Red Wedding chapter and Cat gives a description of the guy but she is definitely unaware of who he is. Is it simply the phrase, "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" that implicates Bolton, or is there a future chapter in A Dance with Dragons that confirms this as fact? And I do know that the phrase isn't quite so simple... Like I said, I do miss many of the context clues but I do remember the exchange between Roose and Jaime when they parted ways at Harrenhal.

I have more of a question regarding the final blow to Robb, as opposed to a reply to this thread. I love these books and I have just started A Dance with Dragons. I do miss many of the context clues though so I'm planning on starting all over when I finish. Anyway, is it absolutely, 100% confirmed that it was Roose Bolton who delivered the fatal blow to Robb? I did re-read the Red Wedding chapter and Cat gives a description of the guy but she is definitely unaware of who he is. Is it simply the phrase, "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" that implicates Bolton, or is there a future chapter in A Dance with Dragons that confirms this as fact? And I do know that the phrase isn't quite so simple... Like I said, I do miss many of the context clues but I do remember the exchange between Roose and Jaime when they parted ways at Harrenhal.

The scheme is laid out in pretty great detail in the chapters after the RW.

Tywin discusses it at length with Tyrion, who was upset that he was not involved in the plans, and he makes it clear that he traded Roose Bolton's legitimacy and title of Warden of North in exchange for his regicidal show of loyalty.

It's the line plus the pink cloak.

wait so if jaime knew robb would die, what did he think would happen to catelyn? obviously it puts a wrinkle in his oath to return the stark girls home if their remaining family are killed.

1. That was old Jaime. Before he became the noblest knight Westeros has ever seen :cool4:

2. Catelyn was not supposed to die. They wanted her as a hostage for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think Jaime had any forewarning of the Red Wedding.

But maybe Roose set up that conversation to make it look like he did. Maybe. It's tempting. I definitely think he made a show of saying the Lannisters send their regards while stabbing Robb to plant the link with anyone who heard it that the Lannisters were aware of and supporting the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion, he sent the lannisters regards just to add salt to the wound. He is not a nice person and Boltons are known to be vile human beings... I dont think he thought much into it i think it was more of him wanting to make a statement and be the person with the last words

I think it had something to do with Kingslaying. Bolton was slaying the king he once served, as did Jaime. And he's a Lannister, so, salt to the wound, and maybe he thought it was funny and would make a good last words kinda thing. The last thing Robb saw was one of his men becoming his enemy, much like with Aerys and Jamie.

Archived