How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

why in god's name is this something you're proud of? whatever, fine, you can be known for absurd pissant defense too if it makes you happy.

Joke aside i do like Petyr more than Tywin. It's just that there have been many Tywin hate treads and almost no Littlefinger ones so defending Tywin was much more in demand.

Damn brah, that'll teach me to ignore my duty on these forums. What would Stan think?

Stan would not approve brah. I remember when we are first introduced to him and Davos, Stannis says "The Throne is mine by rights...brah". But you have to pay special attention, GRRM does not call attention to it.

what do you call lady-Stannevangelists? bra-supported ? are there even any? :P

(I'm living forum long dream of being snarky with the stantstans )

lol @ "bra-supported". I'd say brah applies to any and all stan stans though in all seriousness.

If we consider inertia as a reluctance to move,a condition I happen to suffer from,and momentum as mass multiplied by velocity,then yes,momentum was the appropriate word to use.

While we're nitpicking... inertia was perfectly fine to use.

Inertia would be the "reluctance to" accelerate and can be used perfectly fine in place of momentum in context.

wow...that's a lot of beautiful poetry this early in the morning....

love all the trolling that this thread has turned into (gotta go get my popcorn) :D

I think the only character about which my opinion was significantly changed due to the board is UnCat - Errant Bard and Happy Ent's posts about her showed her in a completely new light and made complete sense to me once I revisited the relevant passages in the books.

Could you point me in the direction of the thread(s) these posts are in? I'm one of those people who can't really understand why she was even brought back. I'd like to see what perspective changing insights into her character those posters have come up with.

On Topic, Tyrion is starting to grate on me. Strange, since I used to love him. Top 3 character....now I'm not even sure he's top 10. I also respect Catelyn and Sansa a bit more than I did after my first read through.

I don't think Stannis fans are blind at all. If they were blind and there was truly very little reason to like the guy I'm sure I would not have 'switched over' from being a total Robb fan to an even bigger one of Stannis.

From what I have seen, the BA quotes and the slogans etc are just the Stannis fans' way of expressing their most simple sentiment; that they love Stan the Man. However, it doesn't end at that; we provide reasoning for liking him, as a character and as a part of the story. As a character he has good qualities; he has a code of honour which he does his level best to follow, even though like all other men in his world (Ned the Man being one of them) may make mistakes because of how strictly he follows it. But you can see the willpower and determination he has here. He has a temper (and for a guy who's had a shitty life, why won't he? Keep him to human standards please) which almost made him take some horrible decisions earlier on in the series, like the Edric Storm situation, but he got guidance and he didn't throw it off completely (Ahem ahem, Dany and Cersei).

And moreover, he learns. He listens to advice from Davos and weighs it against Melisandre's brutal advice. And for a guy known for being so darn stubborn it shows he is making a real effort to become more flexible. Flexible in his personality as a person and as a King (going North, there's a reason his enemies didn't expect that).

And then there's the service he does to the story. While Dany runs off with the storyline in as far and meaningless a direction as possible, while Brienne tries to connect the paths of characters (Sansa, Jaime, Stoneheart) and fails for a whole book, while Tyrion heads through a book's worth of a journey to end up just short of meeting Dany before she rides off on a dragon, Stannis connects storylines.

He's brought the war to the North. An endless problem of this series is how some locations seem to be detached from the real deal. Stannis fixes this issue. Asha, Theon, Jon Snow, Boltons.... It is Stannis who is bringing these storylines together,

While he plays the Game of Kings, that everybody has been playing, he also fights the war against the Forces Beyond the Wall, something I am sad even The Ned did not do.

Those are my reasons please don't call me a blind fan :D

Stan would not approve brah. I remember when we are first introduced to him and Davos, Stannis says "The Throne is mine by rights...brah". But you have to pay special attention, GRRM does not call attention to it.

lol @ "bra-supported". I'd say brah applies to any and all stan stans though in all seriousness.

I don't get the insinuation though....are you people inferring from the purity of text that somehow Stannis would be into movies like the Hangover? :D

Joke aside i do like Petyr more than Tywin. It's just that there have been many Tywin hate treads and almost no Littlefinger ones so defending Tywin was much more in demand.

Jokes aside, tell me the truth. How much of the time we spend arguing is motivated by your desire to defend those guys versus a dedicated effort to come up with new ways to try to piss me off? (ETA: to clarify the tone of that, I'm just ribbing you).

Also, there's no need for LF hate threads. His fans always create love threads for him that are shredded by common sense within the first few posts and they operate for all intents and purposes as hate threads from there (I mean, save for Third Reed's noble efforts).

Then you must have missed the part where Jesus crucified 163 random people in the bible. Or when he married a brutal slave lord who raped and murdered entire villages. Or when he told his apostles, "I am the blood of the Dragon. Do not presume to lecture me."

Haha correct brah. My bad. My privilege got the best of me.

Also, Jesus turned water in to wine which is way more bad ass than sacking a city.

Jokes aside, tell me the truth. How much of the time we spend arguing is motivated by your desire to defend those guys versus a dedicated effort to come up with new ways to try to piss me off?

Also, there's no need for LF hate threads. His fans always create love threads for him that are shredded by common sense within the first few posts and they operate for all intents and purposes as hate threads from there (I mean, save for Third Reed's noble efforts).

I don't know if he's trolling you or not. He contradicts himself quite often and his arguments are all nonsensical and he tends to ignore posts or quotes that destroy his arguments, but he put me on his ignore list because I kept calling his bulls*** out.

I dunno if we're being trolled or if he genuinely has misread the story completely.

Jokes aside, tell me the truth. How much of the time we spend arguing is motivated by your desire to defend those guys versus a dedicated effort to come up with new ways to try to piss me off?

I do not want to piss anyone off. For Tywin i believe that he will be the best ruler - we can argue on that but even you can't deny that there is reason to believe that - in the end this would be good for the realm. Petyr too is great for the realm because he is an engine of change - a man who will drive this god forsaken place forward even if he has to drag it. If you check my posts you will see that the thing i dislike the most is the lack of change and development in Westeros. For 6000 years how many millions of people have died because of the time period they are stuck in? Is a war too big a price to pay for that country to finally progress?

I do not want to piss anyone off. For Tywin i believe that he will be the best ruler - we can argue on that but even you can't deny that there is reason to believe that - in the end this would be good for the realm. Petyr too is great for the realm because he is an engine of change - a man who will drive this god forsaken place forward even if he has to drag it. If you check my posts you will see that the thing i dislike the most is the lack of change and development in Westeros. For 6000 years how many millions of people have died because of the time period they are stuck in? Is a war too big a price to pay for that country to finally progress?

There is no evidence that LF would be good for the realm, or that he is progressive in any way. At least Tywin Lannister has the history of serving as hand of the king successfully and we know that while he is ruthless he is capable of ruling and that at least he is loyal to his own family. There is no such evidence with LF, that he would be a good ruler, that he is loyal to anyone or anything beyond his own greed and ambition.

I do not want to piss anyone off. For Tywin i believe that he will be the best ruler - we can argue on that but even you can't deny that there is reason to believe that - in the end this would be good for the realm.

Tywin was a good Hand under Aerys during peacetime in a pretty stable context. He's good at maintaining a status quo, which goes precisely against your next assertion that you "dislike the most is the lack of change and development in Westeros."

Petyr too is great for the realm because he is an engine of change - a man who will drive this god forsaken place forward even if he has to drag it.

That's kind of like saying a heaping bucket of shit is a good way to cover up the smell of a rotting corpse.

If you check my posts you will see that the thing i dislike the most is the lack of change and development in Westeros. For 6000 years how many millions of people have died because of the time period they are stuck in? Is a war too big a price to pay for that country to finally progress?

LF isn't staging some sort of revolution or motivated on behalf of everyone not fortunate enough to be high born. This is all a bizarre form of masturbation for him.

There are plenty of female Stan Stan's. lady tippy, rapsie, lady meera reed, and many more.

I'm just being snarky .... don't take me too seriously :D

I think Stannis is a great character, but I didn't really think so until some people pointed out aspects I myself missed on my first read.

I still think he's got a lot of blind spots, but then again, that's conducive to being a great character, so I'm ok with it.

ok honestly, LF might have some unique skills in the realm regarding finance, but he isn't omniscient, and he definitely isn't omnibenevolent (or even partially benevolent, however the f*** you say that) so how exactly is he an engine for change? In fact he is well aware of the fact that his moneylending is creating a finance bubble, but he prefers chaos to using his knowledge to restore infrastructure and peace.

In fact, I'd argue on the order-morality scale, he's chaotic evil.

There is no evidence that LF would be good for the realm, or that he is progressive in any way. At least Tywin Lannister has the history of serving as hand of the king successfully and we know that while he is ruthless he is capable of ruling and that at least he is loyal to his own family. There is no such evidence with LF, that he would be a good ruler, that he is loyal to anyone or anything beyond his own greed and ambition.

There is no evidence - this is simply what i believe in. He can connections with merchants and has helped merry merchants with nobles, he is smart and values skill above birth, judging from his time in the Vale he also is a good ruler and his plans can actually come to fruition because he is a deft politician. Also he is great to read about.

Archived