How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

Snowballs, 3 snowballs, the momma snow ball, the daddy snow ball and the baby snowball. No just no. When I am talking about perspective what you may consider a new perspective may have been covered 2 years ago about by 10 different threads. I read a lot of the older stuff because I don't like covering what has already been covered. And man a lot has been covered.

But, undeniablly, you always can read a post of someone who brings something fresh. Not often, it`s rare, but there it is. I have started a thread about wolves, and all I could think about is, whether my effort will be dismissed by people who have already talked about it. Luckily, it didn`t. So, I like to hear new opinions, but I also understand how it is to go around 3,4 subjects.

Anyway to get back on topic. Nobody is going to change my opinion of a character in the books, but I will say that a person or some people will keep me away from talking about characters or theories on this forum. It can even get me to dislike a talking about a character or theory. Tyrion/Sansa, forget it not going near it.

I agree completely. But sometimes, I find myself find a small detail on the forums I missed, that changes a bit the story or the character. It`s not about changing opinion, it`s more of widening the horizon

So I guess a fan or fans who tend to take things to far or be to serious about it. Like if you disagree with them your going to burn in hell and they are going to light the match type attitudes. So while not in the books there are characters who have been ruined on the forum for me, cause you just can't have a reasonable conversation or discussion about them because it usually turns into some crazy meaningless fight over theories or fictional people. That can turn me off to an extent on a character. Over possessive fans who think the characters are theirs, unreasonable fans who can't see any other side of anything, ticking time bombs (fans who are angry and just post to get in a fight about something), the listen to me listen to me fan who just have to be the center of every conversation about a certain topic or character, or the fans that claim to be the foremost expert on character and think their word is fact until they make a mistake and vanish for 2 months to hide their face. So while not really changing my mind about a given character, they have changed my mind about talking about them on the forum.

Also, I agree with this. I don`t like attitude either you`ll accept what I have to say, or you are unworthy of discussion. I like to have argumentative discussions with people I disagree and I tend to be polite about it. Sometimes I fail in that, and I am rude, but I believe that in most occasions, I am seen as someone normal, opinionated and polite poster.

Snowballs, 3 snowballs, the momma snow ball, the daddy snow ball and the baby snowball. No just no. When I am talking about perspective what you may consider a new perspective may have been covered 2 years ago about by 10 different threads. I read a lot of the older stuff because I don't like covering what has already been covered. And man a lot has been covered.

Anyway to get back on topic. Nobody is going to change my opinion of a character in the books, but I will say that a person or some people will keep me away from talking about characters or theories on this forum. It can even get me to dislike a talking about a character or theory. Tyrion/Sansa, forget it not going near it.

So I guess a fan or fans who tend to take things to far or be to serious about it. Like if you disagree with them your going to burn in hell and they are going to light the match type attitudes. So while not in the books there are characters who have been ruined on the forum for me, cause you just can't have a reasonable conversation or discussion about them because it usually turns into some crazy meaningless fight over theories or fictional people. That can turn me off to an extent on a character. Over possessive fans who think the characters are theirs, unreasonable fans who can't see any other side of anything, ticking time bombs (fans who are angry and just post to get in a fight about something), the listen to me listen to me fan who just have to be the center of every conversation about a certain topic or character, or the fans that claim to be the foremost expert on character and think their word is fact until they make a mistake and vanish for 2 months to hide their face. So while not really changing my mind about a given character, they have changed my mind about talking about them on the forum.

3x :agree:

It has actually happened in these forums that those over the top infatuation of posters with a a character has turned me off that character. I don't want to be caught up like that in a web of one direction interpretations, this kills all openmindedness for unexpected story turns. Those fanatic character defenders seem to be not willing anymore to be enchanted by the story, their secluded worldview makes everything predictable, i would not want that, I want surprise and mystery. The deeper the fall for those fans in the end since the author will write what he has always intended to write, not caring for three snowball foreshadowing. Though I have far more understanding for dissecting cultural and mythological references, there are incredible gems among those as long as they are not used for dogmatic arguing.

Actually this THREAD has diminished by opinion of Tyrion somewhat - someone's post about him having 'plot armour' was quite convincing.

He really does seem to lead a charmed life. The best example I can think of is when he fell in the river and JonCon got greyscale fishing him out but he was OK. That seemed a bit unnatural to me.

I dunno why Tyrion and Dany get so much stick about plot armor, when Stannis is the king of the plot gift. I mean not one but two armies fall into his lap, he's the only one that gets access to mel and her shadow babies. Most of his fleet just came to him. He gets a ready made castle at the wall when dragonstone gets to hot. The Iron bank cross half of westeros just to offer him money, and he wouldn't even be alive in the first place if Davos hadn't come out of nowhere with a ship full of Onions. That guy is one lucky ass Mo-fo

I dunno why Tyrion and Dany get so much stick about plot armor, when Stannis is the king of the plot gift. I mean not one but two armies fall into his lap, he's the only one that gets access to mel and her shadow babies. Most of his fleet just came to him. He gets a ready made castle at the wall when dragonstone gets to hot. The Iron bank cross half of westeros just to offer him money, and he wouldn't even be alive in the first place if Davos hadn't come out of nowhere with a ship full of Onions. That guy is one lucky ass Mo-fo

Indeed!

I really like Tyrion and I am not going to change my mind about him, no matter how many people on here think he is a horrible person :D

The same goes for Daenerys. Even though I was really angry when she locked up her dragons and seemingly forgot about them, I never stopped caring for the little girl who was sold by her own brother and then struggled through war and betrayal to become a queen, fighting to bring peace to a city that openly opposes her.

Naturally, they are not purely good characters who never make questionable decisions but who in GRRM's books ever is? That's what makes the story so compelling!

So, the forum hasn't actually changed my opinion on any of the characters but I enjoy reading about other people's take on them, as long as the discussion stays civilized and doesn't turn into hateful rants :P

Archived