Canadian Politics II: The Polite War

Lord of Oop North

The speaker is a Conservative. In the past, the speakers usually managed to maintain neutrality, but we are talking about the Harper government here.

Even so he has been doing a fairly good job up till now. And it wasn't letting the Con MP do what he did that was so biased but he after took away Mulcairs last two questions by skipping to Trudeau. That's almost unheard of.

Winnipeg always has the most impressive civic politians of Canadian cities, IMO.

Still waiting for Bertan Cummings to run for office, though.

With Cummings, the inaugural ceremony would be a great, musical party!

Ouellette, though: like early Obama. I think he's only beginning.

In what has to be the least timely commercial branding ploy ever, Toronto's major downtown public square has be renamed. No longer 'Maple Leaf Square', it's rights have been sold to an automobile manufacturing company.

Yes, that automobile manufacturing company.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Toronto's Ford Square.

^

This is possibly the most jaw-dropping thing I've read about all week. Ah ... um ... still speechless.

It's a fucking head-scratcher all right. I'm reminded of that Deep Throat speech from All the President's Men about the illusions of power. 'The truth is, these aren't very bright people.'

In what has to be the least timely commercial branding ploy ever, Toronto's major downtown public square has be renamed. No longer 'Maple Leaf Square', it's rights have been sold to an automobile manufacturing company.

"Have you designated-driven a Ford lately?"

"At Ford, sobriety is job zero."

"Ford. Designed for drinking. Engineered for crack."

Any that calls this square anything but Maple Leaf Square is a tool. For the same reason that the SkyDome is still the SkyDome.

After the success of this square, it was bound to happen. It's great to see an animated public square in Toronto, and it should have been obvious to anyone that MLSE, who are greedier than the fucking Medicis, would do something like this.

I sincerely doubt any of the young generation that frequents this square during games and playoff season will call it Ford Square.

• 1 month later...

Just to update that last post, Ford backed out of the idea practically the next day.

A couple of things.

I can't believe the Conservatives could actually try to amend the legislation regarding MPs convicted of crime so that MPs would be banned for crimes except for convictions under the Elections Act. One wonders exactly what Conservative MPs are planning to do in the coming election.

Secondly, it's pretty interesting to see how quickly Justin Trudeau moved to get the 2 MPs accused of harassment out of the caucus. I think a lot has to do with the Jian Ghomeshi affair.

And speaking of Ghomeshi, I see way back when Naomi Klein worked for The Varsity at the U of Toronto she didn't like Jian Ghomeshi.

• 3 months later...

I am curious to see what the federal government comes up with in terms of legislation. Their response to the SCC decision regarding prostitution creates so many problems they have essentially kept it illegal.

They'll probably pass legislation not allowing written instructions to be used, for example. Or create a list of diseases that don't qualify.

Seriously.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/supreme-court-rules-on-doctor-assisted-suicide/article22828437/?service=mobile

Supreme Court rules for of doctor-assisted suicide. It's a brave new world. I am in favour of the decision. I can't help but think of Sue Rodriguez.

My first thought was about Sue Rodriguez... followed by thinking of how much our political/courts climate has changed since then. I don't remember a 'ruling' party ever having so much trouble with the Supreme Court (I'm going to have to refresh my memory), which makes me wonder what was going on behind closed doors.

I'm pleased, but puzzled, in other words.

My first thought was about Sue Rodriguez... followed by thinking of how much our political/courts climate has changed since then. I don't remember a 'ruling' party ever having so much trouble with the Supreme Court (I'm going to have to refresh my memory), which makes me wonder what was going on behind closed doors.

I'm pleased, but puzzled, in other words.

The whole Conservative Party has never made much sense. Considering that it was a unanimous decision by the SCC, and most were appointed by Harper, you really have to wonder at the logical consistency of Conservative thought. Me, it think it has the consistency of pudding.

HI Maarsen ^_^

Their being hand-picked by Harper, only to turn around and bite that hand is what puzzles me. Especially since we're expecting a call for an election this spring, by most accounts. Is he going to ignore the ruling if elected again? Basically using this in his platform, and then telling the Court that 'the people have spoken on the issue'? His butting of heads with certain groups of Canadians (vets, scientists, charitable organisations) and now the Courts is truly getting out of hand, and getting expensive.

*sigh*

Only time will tell ... as much as I dislike that phrase, it fits in this instance.

I am curious to see what the federal government comes up with in terms of legislation. Their response to the SCC decision regarding prostitution creates so many problems they have essentially kept it illegal.

They'll probably pass legislation not allowing written instructions to be used, for example. Or create a list of diseases that don't qualify.

Seriously.

Don't think they care much for now - they might introduce some bill that will be wiped out as soon as the election comes. But the main thing is: this is an issue that activates their base, prior to the election. Catholic non-Conservatives will be yet again wooed to vote blue instead of red. Hopefully, they've been paying attention to all the other things the Pope talks about, not just this stuff.

Lard tunderin', as my friends in Newfoundland would say. :o

Conservative Eve Adams (married to former PM press secretary and king of nastiness Dimitri Soudas) has crossed the floor and joined the Liberals.

My first reaction was :ack: and :stillsick: Why would Justin Trudeau want to deal with that kettle of fish?

But now that I think about it, think of the advantages. It means an immediate boost in the amount of money they get in the House (paid out by the number of elected members you have), it means egg on the face of the Conservatives, it lends credence to the idea that there are more fractures in the Conservative party, and, potentially, it may mean access to some skeletons in the closet via Dimitri, who is pretty p'off at his former leader and might be in the mood to tell tales. Could be a very interesting move.

Also, what are people reading into the fact John Baird left the government a whole 9 months before the election (he's preggers!)? Just last night at dinner we were speculating that in addition to his stated reasons (being really affected by the death of Flaherty), it might portend events are about to happen that he did not want to be involved in. The Conservatives have their campaign underway already, is the level of nastiness that is about to unfold too much for even a pitbull like Baird? The timing is long enough that a bye-election has to be called in his riding - does it mean Harper will try to pull a snap election announcement, after repeatedly saying the election will be in the fall?

ETA: saw the prime minister explaining that they had told Adams she was not going to be allowed to run for the Conservatives in the next election. Funny how she was a valued member of the Conservative team ever since her election, even appointed a parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Health, but now she's a person who used unacceptable tactics in the nomination process. They should have dumped her back then and sent her to the bench of independents, but no, they used her on the Conservative side of government all along. News reports say she's going to run against Joe Oliver. Anyone willing to bet that's going to be a very interesting campaign?

Not exactly political, but tonight As It Happens had a story about the Wikipedia article about Rehtaeh Parsons being altered to make the story sound as if her rape was consensual sex, among other things. Wikipedia tracked down the IP address of the person who changed the article to a DND computer in Ottawa. Parson's father said he believes the changes were made by a relative of one of the 4 boys charged with assaulting her. DND is investigating. http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2015/02/09/father-of-rehteah-parsons-thinks-he-knows-who-used-a-dnd-computer-to-change-his-daughters-wikipedia/

Why would Justin Trudeau want to deal with that kettle of fish?

News reports say she's going to run against Joe Oliver. Anyone willing to bet that's going to be a very interesting campaign?

- Yeah, good question. Whatever harms the Con-men I guess.

- Speaking of harm, I hope she does run against Joe Oliver, and beat him. No fan of Eve Adams, but I truly loathe Oliver. Pretty much my least favourite cabinet minister.

Archived