Canadian Politics II: The Polite War

Lord of Oop North

Not exactly political, but tonight As It Happens had a story about the Wikipedia article about Rehtaeh Parsons being altered to make the story sound as if her rape was consensual sex, among other things. Wikipedia tracked down the IP address of the person who changed the article to a DND computer in Ottawa. Parson's father said he believes the changes were made by a relative of one of the 4 boys charged with assaulting her. DND is investigating. http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2015/02/09/father-of-rehteah-parsons-thinks-he-knows-who-used-a-dnd-computer-to-change-his-daughters-wikipedia/

Good god. What is with everything being tampered and altered these days. Even worse from a military computer. One would think they have more issues to deal with than messing with the memory of that poor girl, bot or no.

So anyone know anything about the Court case about wearing a veil while making the citizenship oath?

Harper's appealing it.

Why is this a thing? What impact does wearing a veil have on the oath? Harper don't you have some actual fucking work to do?

Bonus points for the bigots in the comment section bitching about lose of tradition and complaining about people trying to change laws like that's not the entire fucking point of how we set up our society.

I think what people find offensive is the idea of someone immigrating to this country and taking an oath of citizenship without revealing themselves. Who is behind the veil? You come to the country and you want to be part of the country, but you don't want anyone to know who you are or let your fellow citizens even see you.

We could start a new thread to discuss this idea, and I'm sure the discussion would get fast and furious. Let me make absolutely clear the fact that I am a supporter of freedom of religion. But I draw the line at religious practices that manipulate, or commodify, or repress women, and frankly, I find putting women in veils when they step into the public repressive and repulsive. And I don't approve of women in veils on government id like drivers licenses or passports either.

On another note, the Sun TV network died this morning. The Sun tried to sell it for four years, but no one would touch it. It's nice to see they could not drum up enough support in Canada for their nasty little station to survive. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/sun-news-network-goes-off-the-air-with-no-fanfare-1.2234296

I think what people find offensive is the idea of someone immigrating to this country and taking an oath of citizenship without revealing themselves. Who is behind the veil? You come to the country and you want to be part of the country, but you don't want anyone to know who you are or let your fellow citizens even see you.

I can't wrap my head around this, if they're gonna lie about who they are during the oath a veil isn't going to change that. Unless they're going to send someone in their stead which is pointless and easily rectified. Nor can I understand the idea this very slight anonymoity means someone doesn't want people to know who they are. I mean she's still telling people her name right? Finally I can't see how that point matters, there are plenty of peple who I don't want to know who I am.

We could start a new thread to discuss this idea, and I'm sure the discussion would get fast and furious. Let me make absolutely clear the fact that I am a supporter of freedom of religion. But I draw the line at religious practices that manipulate, or commodify, or repress women, and frankly, I find putting women in veils when they step into the public repressive and repulsive. And I don't approve of women in veils on government id like drivers licenses or passports either.

Eh, as long as it's not forced I couldn't care less what people choose to wear. Though I agree on the picture ID thing, but that's simple practicality and has nothing to do with the case above.

I can't wrap my head around this, if they're gonna lie about who they are during the oath a veil isn't going to change that. Unless they're going to send someone in their stead which is pointless and easily rectified. Nor can I understand the idea this very slight anonymoity means someone doesn't want people to know who they are. I mean she's still telling people her name right? Finally I can't see how that point matters, there are plenty of peple who I don't want to know who I am.

Eh, as long as it's not forced I couldn't care less what people choose to wear. Though I agree on the picture ID thing, but that's simple practicality and has nothing to do with the case above.

I'm impressed! How did you split your quote? The editing is so weird these days. If I try to split a quote my answer ends up in the middle of the quote.

I understand the argument against veils at oath taking events. I haven't thought about it a lot, so I don't think it bothers me that much. But the idea of having a driver's license with a veiled picture or a passport with a veiled picture is ludicrous. You'd have to create new passports with fingerprint images, or retina scans, or something like that.

I'm impressed! How did you split your quote? The editing is so weird these days. If I try to split a quote my answer ends up in the middle of the quote.

Copy/paste and the use of the quote button in the toolbar. It's the one shaped like a speech bubble.

I understand the argument against veils at oath taking events. I haven't thought about it a lot, so I don't think it bothers me that much. But the idea of having a driver's license with a veiled picture or a passport with a veiled picture is ludicrous. You'd have to create new passports with fingerprint images, or retina scans, or something like that.

I don't understand the arguement, but that's probably from spending so much time on the internet were I'm much more anonymous.

I would actually be for a fingerprint registry that could be used as ID. Maybe make it opt-in.

On another note, the Sun TV network died this morning. The Sun tried to sell it for four years, but no one would touch it. It's nice to see they could not drum up enough support in Canada for their nasty little station to survive. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/sun-news-network-goes-off-the-air-with-no-fanfare-1.2234296

Good riddance. Whatever puts Ezra Levant out of work, I can support.

I just realized the PM made his shocked-and-appalled statements about being veiled at the citizenship ceremony while he was in Quebec City for the opening of Carnival. Now y'all know why it's such a vital issue to address. There are seats around the area where comments about what Muslim women wear resonate strongly.

I'm watching TV in the middle of a Sunday afternoon (goodbye productivity) and have seen at least two ads for Forces recruiting in the last 5-10 minutes. The filmmaking style of the ads resembles the kind of "gritty realism" that's popularized in stuff like Zero Dark Thirty.

I'm watching TV in the middle of a Sunday afternoon (goodbye productivity) and have seen at least two ads for Forces recruiting in the last 5-10 minutes. The filmmaking style of the ads resembles the kind of "gritty realism" that's popularized in stuff like Zero Dark Thirty.

An election is coming. The need to scare people and position yourself as the great leader becomes ever more important. That and it does not count as election spending.

Lol, I'm glad you edited this post. :P

I was thoroughly disgusted by those ads. They have campaigned for years on "the lost decade" under the Liberals, while in the meantime they've been in power for 9 years and what does the military have to show for it? Virtually no decisions made on any urgently needed equipment, like planes and ships. And veterans treated like crap. Look at our military! Doing this important work! And unlike as is done in the US, the ads are brought to you by The Government Of Canada <bom-bomp-ba-bom>, not by Canadian Armed Forces.

I just can't believe this shit works on people, yet it does. So bloody depressing.

Lol, I'm glad you edited this post. :P

I was thoroughly disgusted by those ads. They have campaigned for years on "the lost decade" under the Liberals, while in the meantime they've been in power for 9 years and what does the military have to show for it? Virtually no decisions made on any urgently needed equipment, like planes and ships. And veterans treated like crap. Look at our military! Doing this important work! And unlike as is done in the US, the ads are brought to you by The Government Of Canada <bom-bomp-ba-bom>, not by Canadian Armed Forces.

I just can't believe this shit works on people, yet it does. So bloody depressing.

Blame Tapatalk for that one. I'm not sure why it got posted in this thread.

The Cons are actually one of the most incompetent governments in history, having squandered a surplus on needless GST cuts and special interest tax credits, fucked up the census, failed vets... it goes on. They think they're smart, but they're just immature idiots with vague ideology that occasionally manifests in pro-(Likud)Israel rhetoric, failed foreign policy, poor relations with provinces, and a lack of attention to fundamental infrastructure, services, research spending, and institutional reform.

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you are interested, there is a detailed analysis of Bill C-51, the controversial anti-terrorism law being proposed by the Conservatives, which has spread around Parliament Hill like wildfire. The paper is linked here: http://www.antiterrorlaw.ca/

I'll warn you, it's 57 pages long. You may want to search the authors, Kent Roach and Craig Forcese, for some of the many articles discussing the paper to get a synopsis of their work.

• 1 month later...

The Mike Duffy trial has started. We are being told to expect surprises.

There will be surprises. The smallest surprise will be the extent of the stupidity of the Harper PMO.

• 3 weeks later...

So, in a development that is truly mind-blasting, the NDP are currently in a clear lead in the Alberta election.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/new-poll-shows-tremendous-support-for-ndp-among-decided-voters-1.2352293

At least in the polls that is. I'd never have expected this. Election Day is Tuesday the 5th.

So, in a development that is truly mind-blasting, the NDP are currently in a clear lead in the Alberta election.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/new-poll-shows-tremendous-support-for-ndp-among-decided-voters-1.2352293

At least in the polls that is. I'd never have expected this. Election Day is Tuesday the 5th.

Canadian polling is pretty much shit all around. And our system heavily favours regional representation. And it's Alberta.

Needless to say, I'm not expecting much.

Archived