Vulture interview hints at "controversial" Sansa chapter in TWoW

Eir

From a new interview with GRRM, Ran and a few other fans:

http://www.vulture.c...and-drinks.html

Martin later sent him the Manuscript in the Box, asking him to fact-check it for him — because a slip like a change in eye color will make fans salivate with imposter theories, when sometimes it's just a mistake. Garcia now performs this function for all the books, but it's completely unofficial: "It's not like I'm paid or anything." And yes, that means he's read parts of book six, The Winds of Winter — including a Sansa chapter that is sure to be controversial.

What could this mean?! Sansa physically being taken advantage of by Petyr Baelish (god, I hope not) or marrying Harry Hardyng? Allying with the Mountain Clans? What are some other "controversial" things that could happen?

From a new interview with GRRM, Ran and a few other fans:

http://www.vulture.c...and-drinks.html

What could this mean?! Sansa physically being taken advantage of by Petyr Baelish (god, I hope not) or marrying Harry Hardyng? Allying with the Mountain Clans? What are some other "controversial" things that could happen?

Her "removing" LF would be pretty shocking, if unlikely at this early phase.. I hope that LF wont try and take advantage of her, but I wouldnt put it past the man.

Her "removing" LF would be pretty shocking, if unlikely at this early phase.. I hope that LF wont try and take advantage of her, but I wouldnt put it past the man.

Yeah, as soon as I read it, I thought physical or sexual violence, considering her age and the sensitive nature of that sort of content. Murdering LF would fit the bill, but so would sexual assault. And if her last chapters were any indication, he's becoming more and more forward with his "affections." I just really hope it's something out of left field, something completely unexpected instead.

My first thought is Sansa doing something drastic; out of character but saving-her-skin move.

But I am glad the forum didn't see this coming. Usually the Sansa predictions revolve around "game playing" lessons.

What we know:

1. LF was madly in love with Cat until the end.

2. He either sees Sansa as the daughter he never had, or a replacement for Cat.

3. LF might the best player of the GOT's in the entire series.

4. LF has run whores as he knows that best ways to manipulate men are through sex and money.

5. He had Jeyne Pool trained in a brothel.

6. Harold Hardyng is kind of a dirtbag with women, fathering at least two bastards.

Add it all together and it could go several different ways. He may not harm Sansa b/c he sees her as a daughter and would not want damaged goods going to Harold Hardyng's bed. Alternatively, LF may not want Sansa going to Harry's bed not knowing what to do.

I surmise that LF won't do the deed himself or have her maidenhead taken (I think he sees her as a daughter). But knowing LF, he may have a whore or two train Sansa in the arts of love and seduction. The controversy likely is a little girl(s) or girl action b/t Sansa and a couple of hot working girls.

I think this will bite LF in the ass when she learns what he did to her father. Sansa will use her newfound skills to have LF leave the game in a most painful fashion. Keep an eye an Sansa. The more she learns, the more formidable she will become. She has never lacked for wits, she just needed to she her foolish naivety.

Sansa might kill SweetRobin. Or help kill SweetRobin.

This is most likely in my opinion. Most likely she helps murder him while convincing herself its for the good of all. Or maybe murdering RObin is finally her "breaking in" to be a little tough instead of a girl getting used. Sansa will never be a player at the game of thrones no matter how many lessons she takes. She hasn't been getting better at life, just better at taking commands an obeying.

Yeah, as soon as I read it, I thought physical or sexual violence, considering her age and the sensitive nature of that sort of content. Murdering LF would fit the bill, but so would sexual assault. And if her last chapters were any indication, he's becoming more and more forward with his "affections." I just really hope it's something out of left field, something completely unexpected instead.

I agree. I think the most likely of the two is that he will assault her, I still think that she will kill/have him killed eventually. Now that she is to be wed then I guess time is running out for LF, so he might make a move. Though of course it might aswell be something totally unexpected.

My first thought is Sansa doing something drastic; out of character but saving-her-skin move.

But I am glad the forum didn't see this coming. Usually the Sansa predictions revolve around "game playing" lessons.

Sansa's a survivor, all right. Honestly, I don't know if I ever bought that she'd spend an extended period of Winds learning about "game playing." She's already learned a lot, and she's started to resist LF and his scheming (in "Alayne's" last chapter in Feast, she's thinking about how "she did not want to wed again, not now, perhaps not ever," as well as mentally seeking out reasons why she can't and won't marry, so she's not exactly nodding along obediently anymore...not that that would keep her from learning, of course). She may not be able to take much more of his lechery during "lessons," especially if she learns about the people he's hurt, which may make being around him more unbearable.

I just did a quick search and in a topic about Sansa's relationship with LF, there were some great thoughts about how Sansa is particularly suited to bringing about LF's downfall:

As for Sansa's being the one to bring down Baelish, I think she will at least have a major role in his undoing...I don't think she's going to be frozen in fear forever. I think she's going to find out, one way or another, what Littlefinger did to her father, or Littlefinger will go to far with her in terms of sexual molestation, and Sansa will turn on him. GRRM has more or less telegraphed the notion, through Littlefinger himself, that pawns can develop a will of their own and make their own moves; I think that Sansa will do just that. Because LF believes that Sansa is his obedient, pliable puppet and is also invested emotionally in his sick scenario of himself as father/lover to Sansa-as-a-younger-Cat; he is uniquely vulnerable to underestimating her. It might take a few years; but Sansa will be the cause or the agent of Littlefinger's destruction, whether or not she kills him herself or not. (I personally don't think Littlefinger will necessarily die, but he will be much reduced in circumstance and not play the Game of Thrones anymore)

Full post

I don't think it will take "a few years"--maybe a few chapters. There's also some poetic justice in Sansa, who Littlefinger might consider his "greatest" pawn i.e. the key to his biggest moves yet, proving to be his undoing.

Sansa might kill SweetRobin. Or help kill SweetRobin.

Well that would certainly be out of left field...I thought she was quite protective of him? More likely, Littlefinger goes in for the kill and this infuriates Sansa to the point where she brings him down?

This response is inspired by tze's fantastic analysis in the "Pawn to Player" thread found here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/72119-from-pawn-to-player-rethinking-sansa-x/page__st__340

If Sansa is pattering herself after Jon Snow, or if her storyline mirrors Jon Snow's, then one important aspect that she has not experienced but which Jon Snow has is breaking vows with sex. In his case it's breaking his NW vows with Yigritte to save himself from death by the wildings. Notwithstanding that he enjoyed it, he still broke vows that he intended to keep.

Sansa's vows are to remain a maiden until her husband has sex with her, because those are the values of Westeros. The controversy may be her breaking this vow of maidenhood imposed by society to save her life, as Jon Snow broke his own vows to save his own. Of course, if it's with LF then Sansa will not enjoy herself the way Jon Snow did, and it would be stomach churning.

Archived