Who -Should- Rule the Seven Kingdoms?

Olligarchy

So, this topic has probably been done before, but I am interested in your opinions... who do you think would make the best ruler for the Seven Kingdoms after Roberts Rebellion?

I think that Tywin Lannister would be the best king. He is both; respected and feared. He has immense wealth and prestige at his back since his dynasty used to rule as the Kings of the Rock, and is a skilled steward himself meaning that Westeros will not have Roberts problem with spending more money than it makes.

What about you?

Yeah, I vote Ramsay. Even more feared.

:ack:

I doubt he was even born in the aftermath of the Rebellion, and personally I wouldn't want to follow him.

Of course I am assuming that you are joking so that's okay.

Jon Arryn was ok wasn't he ...

The eldest and most experienced lords at the time were Tywin and Jon, so one of them. Well, there was Hoster too, but we don't know much about him.

Jon Arryn might do well yes, though my gripe with him is that we've never really seen him? We've heard how he was an honourable man, but do we know how capable he really was?

No one.

The democratic republic of Westeros? :dunno:

Jon Arryn might do well yes, though my gripe with him is that we've never really seen him? We've heard how he was an honourable man, but do we know how capable he really was?

He is referred to at one point (by The Ned) as 'as great a lord as the Vale had ever known.' He won the support of most of his banners for his rebellion against Aerys, and he played a critical role in bringing the Tullys on board with Robert's cause. I think he was almost certainly the rebel leader who was calling the shots at the political/diplomatic level at the time. After the Trident and the fall of king's landing he did a good job of solidifying support for the precarious new government. He then ruled while Robert was drunk, or whoring, for 15 years, and the only thing that went terribly wrong was Robert's proclivity for outrageous spending, which he failed to control.

Robert was ok if he hadn't spent all the Crown's money. He had a competent Council. Jon Arryn seem to have a great Hand of the King. Littlefinger and Varys are the best at what they do, unfortunately they are also schemers. The alliance with the Lannisters brought stability. The weak links are obviously Robert and Cersei. Robert for his spending, and his behaviour (drinking, fucking around (hypocrite), and never getting over Lyanna), that makes Cersei hate him even more. And Cersei for her affairs and for her plotting and scheming. Had Lyanna survived and the Lannisters appeased by Tywin becoming Hand, things could have gone differently.

He is referred to at one point (by The Ned) as 'as great a lord as the Vale had ever known.' He won the support of most of his banner for his rebellion against Aerys, and he played a critical role in bringing the Tullys on board with Robert's cause. I think he was almost certainly the rebel leader who was calling the shots at the political/diplomatic level at the time. After the Trident and the fall of king's landing he did a good job of solidifying support for the precarious new government.

Good point! He might indeed make a great king.

The democratic republic of Westeros? :dunno:

Not necessarily. Could just be a well ordered Council and Hand, with a King who listen and... not think on his own. Like Tommen, mayhaps.

Or other options. But I am of the opinion no one King can guarantee peace to a society. He needs to be advised, and needs to be almost above-human to manage such a vast society with so many intricate complexities as Westeros.

He is referred to at one point (by The Ned) as 'as great a lord as the Vale had ever known.' He won the support of most of his banners for his rebellion against Aerys, and he played a critical role in bringing the Tullys on board with Robert's cause. I think he was almost certainly the rebel leader who was calling the shots at the political/diplomatic level at the time. After the Trident and the fall of king's landing he did a good job of solidifying support for the precarious new government.

True. And the nobles in the Vale are also highly respected in general, by all sides. He would probably have made a good king.

Jon Arryn was ok wasn't he ...

The eldest and most experienced lords at the time were Tywin and Jon, so one of them. Well, there was Hoster too, but we don't know much about him.

I`d go with Jon Arryn as well, the only problem with him would be his heir. But Jon Arryn seems the most capable to rule out of all.

Robert was ok if he hadn't spent all the Crown's money. He had a competent Council. Jon Arryn seem to have a great Hand of the King. Littlefinger and Varys are the best at what they do, unfortunately they are also schemers. The alliance with the Lannisters brought stability. The weak links are obviously Robert and Cersei. Robert for his spending, and his behaviour (drinking, fucking around (hypocrite), and never getting over Lyanna), that makes Cersei hate him even more. And Cersei for her affairs and for her plotting and scheming. Had Lyanna survived and the Lannisters appeased by Tywin becoming Hand, things could have gone differently.

He did. Iron throne has big debts. Remember it's mentioned in series and in books as well by Tyrion.

But yeas, Tywin would be perfect if he had some claim. But Lannisters didn't.

Had Lyanna survived and the Lannisters appeased by Tywin becoming Hand, things could have gone differently. This would be also nice plot, but I don't believe it will satisfy Lions.

Ned wouldn't be a good King, as he wasn't good hand (honest, but not the good one).

Jon haven't got the right heir. It will take us to other rebellion or even war as well.

And if talk about "if someone survive": Rhaegar will be the best. He had some obsession about 3 dragon riders, but even Egg had it (he believed that his dragon will hatch). He was prepared for it.

People talking abot Dany the queen, Jon (Snow) King. Even if Jon the Maybe-Targaryen-bastard will be admited as Rhaegar son he will be like Blood Raven and Shiera - just noble bastard. Nothing more. Daenerys on the other side had all chances of becoming queen: as wife of Aegon or any noble house son.

I`d go with Jon Arryn as well, the only problem with him would be his heir. But Jon Arryn seems the most capable to rule out of all.

Yeah, him not having an heir is a problem. But out of the three main leaders of the Rebellion he is arguably the most capable.

Edit: I guess him not having any Targ blood could be an issue, albeit a minor one.

Archived