How did the dire wolf get outside of winterfell in the beginning of the series?

josh112233

Bloodraven had been watching the Stark children since they were born, and the wolves seem to be necessary for them to open their third eye, and they all have warging abilities. The fact that there is a perfect match between wolves and Starks, numbers and sex, and the fact that Ghost resembles a weirwood, seem to be strong clues that they are gifts from the old gods and/or Bloodraven.

There is no proof that direwolves only exist beyond the Wall. The North is thinly populated. It consists of a million square miles or more. From Deepwood Motte to Karhold there is pretty much 1000 miles of unbroken cotinuous forest and wilderness.

There could be a hundred isolated direwolves dwelling in the depths of the wilderness that seldom get seen by anyone except perhaps the occassional forester in the Wolfswood depths. And any such forester doesn't exactly have a twitter feed to update the entire North on every sighting he may encounter. In fact, he probably never travels beyond 30 miles of his place of birth in his entire life.

There is no proof that direwolves only exist beyond the Wall. The North is thinly populated. It consists of a million square miles or more. From Deepwood Motte to Karhold there is pretty much 1000 miles of unbroken cotinuous forest and wilderness.

There could be a hundred isolated direwolves dwelling in the depths of the wilderness that seldom get seen by anyone except perhaps the occassional forester in the Wolfswood depths. And any such forester doesn't exactly have a twitter feed to update the entire North on every sighting he may encounter. In fact, he probably never travels beyond 30 miles of his place of birth in his entire life.

Not to mention that the direwolf is probably the last thing he ever saw.

Bloodraven had been watching the Stark children since they were born, and the wolves seem to be necessary for them to open their third eye, and they all have warging abilities. The fact that there is a perfect match between wolves and Starks, numbers and sex, and the fact that Ghost resembles a weirwood, seem to be strong clues that they are gifts from the old gods and/or Bloodraven.

:agree: Bloodraven warged into a Direwolf because he knew they would need them in the future.

I think it has more to do with the Old Gods than Bloodraven. How could Bloodraven control the numbers and sex of the direwolves and even include an albino in there? There is definitely something much more supernatural going on.

I think it has more to do with the Old Gods than Bloodraven. How could Bloodraven control the numbers and sex of the direwolves and even include an albino in there? There is definitely something much more supernatural going on.

The Old Gods are basically the Greenseers.

Somehow it managed to get killed by a stag, something that doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me, i guess it got attacked while giving birth?

That or the wolf attacked the stag and the stag fought back. It's what the antlers are for.

I don't believe that this is true. I see the greensseers as more prophets of the Old Gods than the Old Gods themselves, maybe the equivalent of a priest.

The Old Gods work through magic, but there's no proof that there are Old Gods, and because Greenseers can see through Wierwoods and warg animals, that we know can give people symbolic messages (the Direwolf with a stags horn through it's neck), we can assume they're the real magic behind the Olds Gods.

That or the wolf attacked the stag and the stag fought back. It's what the antlers are for.

I think having been attacked during giving birth makes a little more sense. When would she have given birth if she were dead? Some men feared the thought the pups would have been born from the dead wolf, but IMO it makes very little sense.

I think having been attacked during giving birth makes a little more sense. When would she have given birth if she were dead? Some men feared the thought the pups would have been born from the dead wolf, but IMO it makes very little sense.

I think either way makes sense. Growing up on a ranch, I've seen animals birthed in all sorts of weird conditions.

Still, the comment I replied to was one that was unaware that a stag could kill a wolf, even if the wolf wasn't incapacitated with delivery.

Somehow it managed to get killed by a stag, something that doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me, i guess it got attacked while giving birth?

I don't think it was necessarily meant to make sense, I think GRRM just saw an opportunity for some foreshadowing and took it.

But yeah, the fact that the wolf was pregnant seems to make it plausible.

The Old Gods work through magic, but there's no proof that there are Old Gods, and because Greenseers can see through Wierwoods and warg animals, that we know can give people symbolic messages (the Direwolf with a stags horn through it's neck), we can assume they're the real magic behind the Olds Gods.

I understand what you're saying, but you could say a similar thing about R'hllor or the Seven. We don't know if its them or their followers that are actually doing the magic. Actually i don't think we have seen anyone use magic that worships the Seven.

Archived